TimH

Sorry I got to Vent

TimH

de

Edited by TimH

Jerry77

Think about it - how could you ever trust him again...confessing to it would call for mercy - denying it?

• Like 1

daveoman1966

ABSOLUTELY.... YES.  YOU'RE FIRED !Once a thief, always a thief.  You can fix ignorance with education.....you cannot fix a character flaw. 

You must wonder...'what other stuff has he stolen".  Surely, if you trace his lineage, you'll find Clinton DNA....an inherent character flaw. 

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 5

kudzu3

Why not?

chorusguy

This is unfortunate and I completely understand your anger.  But...... let's look at the bigger picture for a second,

if I may be so bold.  First of all, I don't know the value of the bolts, but I suspect they aren't wallet busters.  The issue is that you have been taken advantage of and have been lied to.   Not a good way to feel.  I think you need to confront him with the evidence and give him a chance to explain and apologize.  There should be some punishment for his actions.  Although since ive never had an employee, I'm not sure what your options would be.

You said you just came from church.  For my 2 cents worth, I think that is where you should be looking for your answer.  Can you use this as a teaching opportunity?  Can you demonstrate Christ's love to this man?  

Certainly, you have every right to be disappointed and angry,. But if this is his third year, you have some investment in him.  The practical costs of getting a new employee trained and in place pale in comparison to the actual value of the head bolts.   Does his loss if income, stress and unemployment compare to the value of the damage he has done?  Only you can really answer that question.

I know I am on a high horse here, but it seems that we, as a nation, are quick to judge and quick to dismiss people as a whole far too easily.   

None of us are perfect.  In fact, I'm sure that my own failures and shortcomings are obvious and many.   But, I am eternally grateful to the many people who have showed me grace and forgiveness and who have shown me the distinction between hating the sin and loving the sinner.

Certainly, you hold all the power here.  You have proof of what he did.  I suppose it now becomes a philosophical question of what you do with the power.  

If you decide to fire him, so be it.  You would be legally justified.  If you cut him some slack, it could blow up in your face and you would ultimately have to fire him in the long run anyway.

If he isn't taught by someone how to be a responsible employee, this cycle could continue forever or he could escalate and wind up in jail.  After that, the likelihood of him ever being a good wage earner gets progressively smaller.   If that happens, you and I will be paying for his food and lodging and perhaps his children's food and lodging for years to come.  

Sorry if I have offended or overstepped.

Good luck.

• Like 7

Walt

Thieves and Liars are 2 types of people I cannot stand. I would be outside the door waiting for him to arrive with anything that belongs to him and request any shop keys he may have. If he was issued any keys or security code to the shop it may be wise to change locks and delete his access   code

• Like 3

TimH

de

Edited by TimH
  • Like 2

daveoman1966

I'm about to hurl at the PC of ChorusGuy.  Look...this guy is a thief and probably always has been.  If he isn't FIRED immediately, that only teaches him that you (the owner) are a soft target.  If he hasn't become a trusted employee in 3 years, there is no redemption for him. 

Political Correctness is destroying this country and here is a perfect example of it.  No doubt, he'd deny the theft saying  .".it wasn't me" , or offer up some lame excuse of why he stole the stuff...even showing the video will not dissuade a thief.  In either case he will NOT take responsibility for his actions and by NOT firing him, is enabling him. 

• Like 5

TimH

de

Edited by TimH

953 nut
16 minutes ago, chorusguy said:

Can you use this as a teaching opportunity?  Can you demonstrate Christ's love to this man?  

For several years I managed an agricultural facility in Florida. Several of my employees had criminal records and were always amazed when we would show forgiveness for documented offences. A few had to be let go; but they were the exception, most of them would keep the others in line. Much like raising a child, you make them aware of their shortcoming and the consequences of repeating this behavior.

I wouldn't show him the tape of his being in the room, but I would make him aware that you have it and he will be under closer scrutiny.

• Like 1

wallfish

:twocents-02cents:

Bring him in the office and ask one more time. Highly doubt he would confess now after denying it but...

Show him the video and kindly wish him luck at his next job. It proves that you know what you're talking about and leaves absolutely no doubt about it. And if he is a good decent guy from the beginning, he should completely understand. If he doesn't understand, then you still made the correct decision.

I'm with Jerry on how can he EVER be trusted again. Trust takes a lifetime to earn and only a second to loose. Every time someone misplaces something from now on, guess what you'll be thinking? That's also not fair to either of you.

Consider it as doing him a big favor by teaching a life lesson and hope it helps him in the future. Keeping him around only hurts both of you.

I do understand what chorusguy is getting at but teaching consequences for ones actions is a much better lesson in the long run IMO. You can still like him, help him, and all the rest of what a human being is but keeping him around is just enabling that kind of behavior.

You must not pay too much if the guy has to jeopardize his job for a few bolts! :ychain:

• Like 3

clueless

So why don't your employees know you have a camera on them:think:. Trust is a two way street.

TimH
de
Edited by TimH

DougC

I would also take an inventory of any special tools you may have or used to have....... Guys like that love to put 'em in their toolbox or take 'em home......

If he was my employee I would tell him to Hit the road Jack!!!!

slammer302

I would trust your gut! You know this person and you know if he is worth taking a chance on or not. I do know people who like taking stuff that is not Thiers usually don't stop. They just figure out what they can take and what they can't. I've seen this in first person. From working in large shops.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Having been a successful small business owner for many years, I will tell you that a thief and liar has no place in my business. If you owned a store and this guy was a shoplifter, you would call the police and have him arrested. There is no difference. He stole, you have the proof, and he needs to go. If you confront him, he will tell you he is sorry. But is he sorry he stole? No. He is sorry he got caught. Let him go.

• Like 2

wallfish
19 minutes ago, clueless said:

So why don't your employees know you have a camera on them:think:. Trust is a two way street.

Good employees have no need to know since it should never affect them anyway.

Besides people are very creative and if determined, can get around the surveillance if they know it's there.

The trust on the employers part was clearly given when they were hired. If they weren't trusted then, they would not have been hired in the first place!

I install security cameras and you'd be surprised how many are out there and the places they are. From right out in the open to covert cameras in electrical outlets on the wall. ALWAYS consider yourself on camera when you walk out the door of your house. It's also quite possible you are still on camera INSIDE your own house. Not to mention audio recordings. There was some commotion about the Sony PS3 game recording people among plenty of other devices too. They even have a recent hack for smart phones which could turn on cameras and microphones. If it's connected to the internet, someone is "watching" even if they can't actually see or hear. They are always collecting data.

Jeez, I sound like a conspiracy theorist! I'm writing this with my aluminum foil hat on!

• Like 2

DougC
11 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

is he sorry he stole? No. He is sorry he got caught.

:text-yeahthat:    Exactly   :handgestures-thumbupright:

857 horse

It has always been the norm for me to offer....usless chatter,,,white noise,,,some static and very little contributing input....

I have to admit....Bob MAYNARD has offered the least bias and to the point view of everything i have read....Wallfish has shown unbias opinions

that lets you come to your own conclusion....and all the other comments cover everything else in the p[laying field,,,,,

Let him confess 1 last time,,,,we dont know WHAT  he is going to say,,,,,then again.....If it smells fishy,,dont feel right,,,,and trust is lost....then you have already have your answer.......

Everyone that added to this thread makes me want to feel like you are all  the wise men.......Just reading this thread would make a peron..........a better person.....and i hope my friends here can understand what i am trying to say.....

He has a good judge,,,,,,good luck                        

• Like 1

rmaynard

@TimH What happened to your original post? :huhs: The whole rest of the thread makes no sense now. 

jimt1971

I came in late and missed everything Bob.

tunahead72

Looks like TimH deleted all of his posts in this thread. :confusion-shrug:

953 nut

Looks like he didn't want our input, as title stated; he just wanted to vent.

DougC

I can't see why the deletion                                                                                                Me neither????

062408nosyneighbor01.jpg

carnacthemagnificent.jpg

Edited by DougC

953 nut

Neither can Mr. Wilson!

Image result for images mr wilson tool time

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2