jdleach

Wurth HHS-K Lubricant

jdleach

While this post probably needs to be in the "Tools" section, I really wanted to get this out to as many folks as possible.

As we are all well aware, there are numerous hinges, pivots, slides, etc. on our Horses that need occasional lubrication. For most of us, we generally put a few drops of oil on the mechanism and call it good. The problem is that oil doesn't last long. The lighter the oil, the quicker it dries and evaporates. Another issue is that the oil will run off vertical surfaces rather quickly, and the lubricating "film" is quickly lost.

Wurth HHS-K is a lube that resolves the above issues. HHS-K is a type of spray grease/oil specifically designed for open mechanisms such as pivots, hinges, and sliding surfaces. I was first turned on to HHS-2000 (the earlier compound) when I did a stint at a Mercedes, Volvo, Porsche repair shop back in 1990.

HHS-K is a German product, and is specifically recommended by Mercedes-Benz for use on door hinges, latches, etc. Coming in an aerosol can, you spray it onto the point needing lubrication and, unlike other spray "greases", it comes out clear, and penetrates similar to WD-40 and other penetrating oils. After a short period of several minutes, the "oil" begins to set up and turn tacky, becoming a high-pressure grease that is water resistant.

I have used HHS-K for years on all my vehicles, and it has literally preserved in an "as new" condition, the hinges/latches on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1949 Ford F-2, and other vehicles. The stuff is non-staining, and is safe for plastics and rubber. I use it on the PTO pivot points, Tach-Matic mechanisms, and any other place where occasional oiling is required.

Although it lasts for a very long time, it does eventually wash away. Note my other post wherein my deck fell off. 

While you can procure HHS-K online, you can probably more easily get it at you local Chrysler/Dodge dealer. Chrysler began using the stuff when they were merged with Benz, and have continued stocking it to this day, and using it in the Service Department.

Be prepared, this stuff isn't cheap, and goes for around $23 a can. However, it works amazingly well, a  little goes a long way, and is worth every penny.

I know this sounds like a shameless plug, but I am in no way associated with the company. I just like products that work well, and this stuff works extremely good.

• Like 6

elliot ness

Will be looking for it, Thanks for the info.:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

jdleach

I guarantee you will like it.

By trade, I am a tool and die maker. Machines and mechanism has been my life-long work. So I have seen and been exposed to a tremendous variety of products over the decades. This one, is one of the best.

Another great "lube" that should be in your toolbox, is a stick of "stainless stick lubricant", also called "Door Ease". This is a lube that literally comes in a round stick, and is a wax based compound. Still available from NAPA, it used to be employed extensively in the automotive field for door latches and other sliding components. I still use it on the latches of my '49 Ford truck. Great for any application wherein metal parts rub. Hitch balls would be a good example.

C-101plowerpower

wurth is one of the main hardware suppliers around here, german quality for sure. compared to a home improvement store 8.8 grade bolt the wurth ones are actually 8.8 instead of the cheesegrade ones. as for their aerosols, top notch too together with berner(also a german brand i think) they've got the best lubricants around

• Like 1

Jerry77
37 minutes ago, jdleach said:

I guarantee you will like it.

By trade, I am a tool and die maker. Machines and mechanism has been my life-long work. So I have seen and been exposed to a tremendous variety of products over the decades. This one, is one of the best.

Another great "lube" that should be in your toolbox, is a stick of "stainless stick lubricant", also called "Door Ease". This is a lube that literally comes in a round stick, and is a wax based compound. Still available from NAPA, it used to be employed extensively in the automotive field for door latches and other sliding components. I still use it on the latches of my '49 Ford truck. Great for any application wherein metal parts rub. Hitch balls would be a good example.

Have used Door Ease for decades - works wonders on sliding surfaces - great for the track on a sliding door....

• Like 1