IndyFord2

C-120 Relocate muffler (Kohler)

IndyFord2

Would like to relocate muffler, does get hot in carb, fuel pump aria after mowing for an hour or so. Have heard some people have had vapor lock issues. I like the look of the factory muffler, but the heat. Don't want a big stack sticking up n the air. I have seen some with the smaller "shower head" mufflers but was wondering about noise (are they louder).  Have also seen a few pic's of newer tractors that looked like the muffler was mounted horizontally above the PTO. I think I even saw one with a small chrome heat shield. Also looks like the air from the engine fan helps to dissipate the heat. Looking for any one that has good pic's of or ideas about this.

pfrederi

Pepper pots and shower head mufflers are very noisy. Actually never experienced vapor lock...

Here is one idea on a 12hp

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0063 (2).JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rick3478
      By Rick3478
      For Sale NOS M12S Short Block, still in the original box.  I bought it pre-emptively when Kohler was phasing out the Magnums.  Thought I would have it on hand if one of mine needed it, or maybe I would find a tractor with a busted rod for cheap.  Neither of those things happened, the darn things just keep running.

Part number 77 522 35, probably built in late '05, it's the combination replacement kit Kohler made to fit WheelHorse or Gravely, machined to bolt directly into the Gravely transaxle, but also has spacers to mount WheelHorse PTO clutch/brake.  Also has a bunch of gaskets and seals packed with it, probably all you need to install it.

And it's heavy, so it's not practical for me to ship.  Buyer arrange to pick up near Elida OH, I can lift it about knee high to help load.

Asking $800 or might consider trade for a good center mount grader blade.

• mcfarmall
      By mcfarmall
      Tractor features Kohler 16hp cast iron engine, gently used 42" deck, concrete wheel weights, tire chains, new Chinesium carburetor, fuel lines and filter, new air filter, 2 new fwd/rev cams.  A starter,  some new gaskets, and miscellaneous parts.  New drive belt and all the belt idler assemblies.  Engine runs but smokes.  Great restoration candidate or a spare engine for you pullers out there.  Call, text or email for a private showing.   No offers considered unless made in person.  Buyer responsible for transportation.  Many more pictures to send to interested persons. 

• BrianKoch
      By BrianKoch
      Gentlemen,

I just changed the muffler on my ‘69 Charger 12.

There are quite a few Gravely 18543 aftermarket mufflers out there so I decided to purchase 2; 1 from Amazon for $45 and 1 from NAPA (7-03679) for $72. Both are made in Taiwan and while the Amazon muffler actually felt a tad heavier to me, its welded construction was poorer so I decided to use the NAPA muffler.

To complete the installation, I needed a 1.25” x 4” black pipe nipple and a 5/16” x 1-1/4” exhaust clamp (NAPA 733-5323).

In conclusion, it seems to me the sound out of the Gravely style muffler is noticeably quieter than the classic pepper pot. Worth the $80 to me! 

Link to my YouTube video:

• Jeff-C175
    • jmack
      By jmack
      I have a 522xi and noticed the muffler is glowing red as shown in this video? Should I be concerned and fix it to normal operating temps or is this expected?

Thanks,
      JMack

IMG_1788.MOV