"D"- Man

Chrome shop loses part, damages another????

"D"- Man

I took some parts to a chrome plating shop on the 17th of March.  I was told it would be 4-6 weeks.  I checked on a fairly regular bases on the progress.  Fast forward, this last call they said some of the parts had to be reworked, one parts was lost and another part was damaged from being left in too long.  The lost part was an "S" hook for the control valve lever.  They referred to the damaged part as a cap.  My question is what should I do?  I have paid well over $1,000.00 for chrome plating to this business.

IMG_20160716_110712.jpg

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

They should be responsible. Sounds like they are pretty laid back. Try being more forcefull. I can't get into that definition of more forcefull,  as this is a family rated channel, but, I think most will get my point. Lol  

Glenn

• Like 3

oldredrider

Time to break western on them. If you've spent over a grand with them, you call the shots. If they destroy or lose parts it's up to them to replace them. Stand your ground.

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

"D"- Man

I am going Monday to see the damaged part, and I am taking a spare "S" hook that I have.   I may suggest that they plate it and return ship it, free of charge.  The "cap" that was left in too long, is a different story because I don't know what it is that they mean by cap.  If I can get them to take a picture of it and forward it to me before I leave I will see if I have a spare, and also take it along.  

Thisguyisnew

Just make it clear you have more business that they are going to lose over this. Be polite but state what real replacement costs will be for items if you had to track them down and purchase them again. Have this info beforehand. Be prepared for them to suddenly find your part

• Like 1

rmaynard

Don't know what the regulations are where your shop is, but I have been told that most Chrome plating in my area is sent to Mexico where they don't have to deal with the EPA.

Good luck getting it back. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 3

Digger 66
11 hours ago, Thisguyisnew said:

Just make it clear you have more business that they are going to lose over this.

Opening with an ultimatum , no matter how nicely it's worded , in not a good idea .

Make sure you have all your ducks in a row ( past ppwk ,receipts ,agreements etc ) .

Ask if the owner's available & if not when & where can he be reached ?

Don't talk to the guy pushing the broom .

My $ 0.02 .

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 3

Ken B
On 7/16/2016 at 9:55 PM, rmaynard said:

Don't know what the regulations are where your shop is, but I have been told that most Chrome plating in my area is sent to Mexico where they don't have to deal with the EPA.

Good luck getting it back. 

I have heard the same thing. Sad but true, and pitiful.

• Like 1

"D"- Man

I found a spare "S" hook and took it with me to the chrome shop.  The owner took it and said he would not charge me for chrome plating it.  WOW, I thought no charge to chrome plate my own part that replaces one you lost, really?  Honest not a mention about any compensation or reimbursement.  I remained quite disciplined and reserved.  I mentioned the damaged part, {in hopes this would prompt a mention of compensation or reimbursement, } no such luck.  So sort of reluctantly I just said I would have to see if I could find a spare.  Obviously I don't have one. Incidentally it is the "cup" cover sort of thingy that bolts under the valve body.  There are two on a dual lever setup.  I was told one of the cups was left in too long and the part disintegrated.

See right of pic.

IMG_20131207_221305_774.jpg