Rob R

Harbor Frieight Gen Set on a GT14

elcamino/wheelhorse

That is a nice set up. How much stuff ( you can tell I know about electric) will the head run?

• Like 1

Rob R

I previously had the same Gen Head on my Sears Suburban 12HP, when I had  an outage I connect it to my four phase welding plug (MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE STREET  MAIN INCOMIMG BREAKER). I then can run most of the lights in the house, plus the microwave, and refrigerator.  I periodically switch off these breakers then turn on the 220 well pump breaker, flush the toilets and charge the pressure tank .... and everyone is a happy camper. When the street power comes back disconnect everything then turn the Main back on.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks that is about the same as my 11 hp generator that never wants to start. I may look into the head to put on my 416-8.

• Like 1

DougC

That's what I wish I had done instead of buying the HF 3,200/4,000 Predator  generator on sale for $289 a couple years ago. I need more power!

Racinbob

Outstanding job! If you decide to tie it into your home system make sure you install a transfer means. Just tying it in and turning off the main is illegal, dangerous and irresponsible. :)

• Like 4

Rob R
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:05 PM, Racinbob said:

Outstanding job! If you decide to tie it into your home system make sure you install a transfer means. Just tying it in and turning off the main is illegal, dangerous and irresponsible. :)

At my age being called dangerous and irresponsible is a compliment. Please note that when you Turn-off the main breaker NO current can come-IN or OUT of your house....

Edited by rgrottk
update
  • Like 4

Racinbob

Sorry if that came across like that. It wasn't intended. I lost a close friend due to a generator connected improperly. Those transformers work in both directions. With nearly 50 years in the industrial and commercial electrical industry I often get asked about connecting a generator to a home system. My standard answer is "I'd be happy to as long as you do it right. If not, don't even ask me a question". :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 5

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Sorry if that came across like that. It wasn't intended. I lost a close friend due to a generator connected improperly. Those transformers work in both directions. With nearly 50 years in the industrial and commercial electrical industry I often get asked about connecting a generator to a home system. My standard answer is "I'd be happy to as long as you do it right. If not, don't even ask me a question". :)

My brother was an electrician at one time. I asked him if I could disconnect the main breaker and backfeed through my welder 220 line JUST TO TEST it to see if it was worth the expense of adding a transfer switch. He looked at me like I had 2 heads, knowing I just wanted to connect it for a test.

• Like 1

oldlineman

I was a Journeyman Lineman for 41 years and not too much scared me, but the sound of a generator running during storm work was something we took very serious. That is very true that 120/240 vac passing back through a transformer turns in to the primary voltage, could be 4,160 VAC,13,200 VAC or even 34,500 VAC , very dangerous for anyone working on distrubutation lines. :twocents-02cents: sorry a little off topic but very inportant to electrical workers.  Bob Blough, IBEW LU #126

• Like 3

Racinbob

Well said Mr. Blough. LU #153 out of South Bend here but I wasn't a lineman. Those four and five figure voltages scared me. 480 was my max.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

oldlineman

480 VAC is more than enough voltage, they always said that the current ( amp ) is what kills 480 VAC has plenty! High voltage is no different than lower voltage given the knowledge and correct tools to do a given job. I am proud to have been ( and still am ) a IBEW Journeyman Lineman retired but still miss the work!

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Rob which generator did you purchase? I was looking at HF earlier and it showed a 7200/ 10,000 surge for $299.an change . The picture looked some what different than yours . Just wondering.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, oldlineman said:

I was a Journeyman Lineman for 41 years and not too much scared me, but the sound of a generator running during storm work was something we took very serious. That is very true that 120/240 vac passing back through a transformer turns in to the primary voltage, could be 4,160 VAC,13,200 VAC or even 34,500 VAC , very dangerous for anyone working on distrubutation lines. :twocents-02cents: sorry a little off topic but very inportant to electrical workers.  Bob Blough, IBEW LU #126

We we had an outage about a year ago, and I heard a generator down the street. All the LED lights in my house would light normally, none of the incandescent or fluorescent light would do anything. 

I dont know know if there was still some current from the electric company, or if the guy down the street was back feeding. I assumed the latter. 

• Like 1

Rob R
8 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Rob which generator did you purchase? I was looking at HF earlier and it showed a 7200/ 10,000 surge for $299.an change . The picture looked some what different than yours . Just wondering.

Yup that's the one, mine looks different since I purchased mine about 12 years ago.... still working fine....

Rob R

Final touches to the install, a hood to keep the rain and snow off.... intend to leave the gen set on the tractor so that when and if an outage occurs all I have to do is start the GT14 and hit the PTO switch. Note: hood is made from a old Sears Suburban surplus fender, used etching primer and Sunset Red rustoleum.

Wheel Horse Gen Set (1).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (2).JPG

Wheel Horse Gen Set (4).JPG

• Like 3

squonk

If all you want to do, (like Me :) ) is run the fridge, tankless water heater and a light. Jut plug in an extension cord and plug in what you want to run. If you insist on turning every light on  in your house on ( like in those generator commercials! :)) and stick your tongue out at your neighbor, cut loose with the cash and have a standby unit with an automatic transfer switch.

• Like 1

Rob R
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

If all you want to do, (like Me :) ) is run the fridge, tankless water heater and a light. Jut plug in an extension cord and plug in what you want to run. If you insist on turning every light on  in your house on ( like in those generator commercials! :)) and stick your tongue out at your neighbor, cut loose with the cash and have a standby unit with an automatic transfer switch.

Basically agree Squonk with one exception, I need to periodically run my well pump and charge the pressure tank so the "girls" can go potty.... the H/F unit I am turning is 5 KW so it can handle this important chore.

JC 1965

Great lookin setup and I'm sure it will be very handy to have around. Thanks for sharing the photos.     :thumbs2:

• Like 1