squonk

Bad/Poor/Dirty connections

squonk

We've all seen the posts. "My tractor only clicks" Ammeter read discharge ect. Many times it's just a little dirt behind the ears and between the toes. Here's what happened to me today during my latest mowing session with EZRA.

As I was finishing up I happened to look down at the ammeter. It was slightly discharging. didn't have time to work on it right away but later I started it up and the ammeter stayed on the discharge side. So I shut it off and got my trusty Chrysler 1986 Gold Tool Award multimeter out and checked the voltage of the battery. It read 12.5 V . Started it back up and had 14.7V. Looked at the ammeter again and now it's charging.

elec conn 006.jpg

All I did was probe the battery cables and the problem is gone. Let's look at the battery.

Typical Garden Tractor variety dirt on the battery. 

elec conn 003.jpg

elec conn 004.jpg

Battery will come out for cleaning. Terminals show a slight bit of corrosion.

elec conn 007.jpg

elec conn 008.jpg

Cleaned up the cables and cleaned the battery.

elec conn 013.jpg

elec conn 009.jpg

elec conn 010.jpg

You can see the battery cleaner working by the purple color.

Testing the battery. This is 2 1/2 years old. 375 cranking amp battery still shows 375 Amps. :)

elec conn 011.jpg

all back together and still shows recharge after starting on the ammeter. :handgestures-thumbupright:

elec conn 005.jpg

• Like 6

Digger 66

Good post ! 

I see you have the pigtail hardwired for the Tender Jr too ( just like all my toyz )

Pressure washers can also wreak havoc on electrical connections too .

Not so much on the exposed terminals & such but where the water can sit & slowly chew away at the copper .

A Google search will reveal the effects of chlorine on copper .

• Like 1

DougC

Doesn't take much corrosion to make a amp or volt gauge to screw up. I have a 1995 Chevy 4x4 that approx. every 18 months shows a dash volt gauge reading way down below 14v where it normally runs. When checked at the back of the alt. with fluke multimeter shows 14.3...... Battery cables tight and no evidence of corrosion. Remove positive cables ( I have double cables mated/sandwiched together on pos. terminal.) clean with wire brush and whatever gets the job done, reinstall and whadda-ya-know.... Gauge reads above 14v as it should...... Sure gets a guys blood pressure soaring to see a dash gauge reading wrong and at just the wrong time......:lol:

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Good tip...    :clap:

now, I gotta clean some batterys. 

• Like 4

953 nut

Seems like we tell a new member that a couple times a week. What were you using to clean the battery?

squonk
37 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Good tip...    :clap:

now, I gotta clean some batterys. 

You might need a week off from work to get it done! :lol:

19 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Seems like we tell a new member that a couple times a week. What were you using to clean the battery?

Permatex spray on battery cleaner from Napa

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@squonk Very good lesson on battery and connections cleaning!

TIGman

Just the information I was looking for.:handgestures-thumbupright:. Electrical connections on my 875

are in tough shape and need lots of attention .  After setting 10 yrs I can only imagine.....:unsure:

• Like 1