Newbie100

312-8 won't turn over

Newbie100

I recently bought and dragged out of a fence row a toro wheelhorse Classic 312-8. It will run if gas is squirted into the carb and the solenoid is crossed to make it start. I have concluded so far that the fuel pump is bad and am working on getting one. However with as many wires as this thing has I'm struggling getting it to turn over using the key. When I turn the key nothing happens. The safely switches I would like to disable if someone could walk me through that it would be great because that's one more thing I could eliminate as a reason.

image.jpeg

gwest_ca

These diagrams cover 1990-1991. If you have a different year don't use them. The 471527 spec was used 1987-1997 and the engine was made in 1990.

Garry

KC9KAS

@Newbie100 :WRS: 

I doubt than anyone will want to help you "by-pass" any safety switches....They are there for a reason.

You can test them with a good VOM meter, but to by pass one is unwise.

953 nut

:WRS:  The first thing that needs to be done on electrical problems is clean and tighten all electrical connections. Inspect the terminals and devices for corrosion or broken parts. This will take care of most problems. As @KC9KAS said, safety switches play an important role in protecting us from ourselves. Read the owner manual and you could find that it is a matter of pushing in the clutch or disengaging the PTO.

Newbie100

Does someone know why on the pto safety switches there are two plug ins and one has two wires while the other has three 

gwest_ca

There are two switches there.

The one with the tan wire controls the starter motor circuit.

The other one with the dark blue wire controls the ignition.

If you end up having to remove the low oil switch read this service bulletin first so you don't damage the switch.

Garry

• Like 1