Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Let's See How Good You Guys Are!

HorseFixer

Okay here is the deal I went out and measured the stable it is 25 X 12 = 300 sq ft. I thought it was 400 sq ft but I guess I was thinking of the concrete that was poured and the large porch that is on it. Anyways the calculations are based on that size with three exterior walls exposed, 2X4 construction with R-13 fiberglass insulation and a 4' service door that is insulated. Inside temp 70 deg outside temp 5 deg You can vote and If you want to get closer and enter the contest just post your answer here in the threads. I have done a manual J <<< "heat loss calculation" and will post the results at the end. Lets make it a week from today! Good Luck :hide: The winner gets a DVD of last years 2008 WH show in PA, mailed directly to your door, that is when I do em this winter!

pond195520032003

well im not that good at this :hide: but i went with 30.000 BTU's :D

Rollerman

I went with the candle route.....just call me a fire bug....LOL

bk-scouter

:hide: dang it, I voted, but I should have asked this first, did you insulate above the ceiling or attic space ?? :D

-BK

Nick

From the 43,000 btu pellet stove heating this drafty house with no wall insulation I came up around 8,000 btu but rounded up to 10,000. Wouldnt warm up fast but might keep them Horses warm eventually. :hide:

HorseFixer

:hide: dang it, I voted, but I should have asked this first, did you insulate above the ceiling or attic space ?? :D

-BK

Their is no attic, It is insulated with R-13 and is roof ceiling combination. The real vote the closest is right here so just tell me how many btu's the poll is just for those who dont want to enter the contest!

daemon2525

It depends on whether you intend to keep it warm all of the time or just while you are out there.

If you keep it warm all of the time, it'll work with 20k. If you want to warm it up in an hour, it'll take about 50K.

I can get my 20x20 (400) warm in about an hour with a 60k salamander.

HorseFixer

It depends on whether you intend to keep it warm all of the time or just while you are out there.

If you keep it warm all of the time, it'll work with 20k. If you want to warm it up in an hour, it'll take about 50K.

I can get my 20x20 (400) warm in about an hour with a 60k salamander.

All heat loss calculations are based on BTU's per hour. And this would be based on keeping the stable at a constant temperture.

linen beige

Duke you left a LOT of variables in this. :omg:

How tall are the walls and is the wall between the new and old insulated? If the old wall is not insulated what is the temp in the old garage? What is the true R factor of the wall insulation after it was mashed into the cavities? :hide: (Sorry. I see "professional" insulation contractors do what you've done more as the rule than the exception, but those stapling flanges or flaps are meant to overlap each other on the inside edge of the studs. That gives you a continuos vapor barrier and lets the insulation fill the whole cavity while remaining fluffy. Mashed insulation doesn't work.). Is there a foam underlayment behind the siding? If so how thick and what type of foam? What type of roof covering and underlayment is on it? How thick is the floor? What is below the floor? Is the floor sealed? Is there a vapor barrier under the floor? Is there ANY insulation along the outside of the row of block above the floor level? No mention of outdoor wind speed.:D

But I'm gonna guess somewhere around 29000 BTUs or some 8500 watts. That's if you consider this a fairly tight, low leak application. :hide:

Brrly1

Hey Duke I hope you have alot of copies made up! I also vote for around 30,000 btu's. Just like Lien Biege said, what's below the concrete,did you put plastic down, thickness of concrete, location of horse coral would also help side of house east, west, north or south what kind of area do you live in town or country. Jim is right alot of variables. Good luck I think Natural gas price just rose a few dollars. But it sure looks like a nice job. Keep it up. Burly

COMB2

I'd go with 5,729 btu's needed. What are you heating with?

I think we used to use manual J at work but it takes like 4 hours to figure out a house :hide:

COMB2

Let me change that to 6,435btu :hide:

daemon2525

All heat loss calculations are based on BTU's per hour. And this would be based on keeping the stable at a constant temperture.

Oop's, I just thought that you were trying to buy a heater for the place.

Nevermind...

Nick

Had another redneck math thought. That halogen light in your pictures might be 1,000 watts so you have around 3,400 BTU holding 67 degrees. That should put it around 5,000 BTU for 70 degrees. :hide: Oh well never was into math. I'll stay at 10,000 to keep them Horses warm as a bug in a rug.

Oops forgot about that window to the garage allowing in heat. Good thing I stayed with 10K BTU. :D

Rod(NASNUT)

I say 3,000 BTU's :hide:

CasualObserver

In my best totally uneducated guesstimate I'm going to go with 2250.

(unless it's closest WITHOUT going over... then I'll take $1 Bob. :hide: )

Kelly

I can heat my somewhat insulated garage to 70deg with my 50K salimander (LP) in a hour or so and that is 24x24 so ya I'm also going with 10,000 btu Do I win????

Sparky

12,500 btu's

Mike...

Coadster32

I went through the headache of doing these calcs on my house. :hide: I'd like to say that more info is needed.

1) what type of door and how big, or should we use r-13 for that.

2) any windows, how big, double pane or should we use r-4 for that.

3) how tall are the walls, or should we assume 8ft for that.

4) how about the floor, or just assume a 4inch slab for that.

I hate to get a little fussy, but you need this info to get it right. How picky did you get with your calcs? Perhaps your numbers are off a bit? <_< I only ask because a contest should be fair. I don't mean to come off as rude, and appologise if it seems that way. :D

HorseFixer

I went through the headache of doing these calcs on my house. :hide: I'd like to say that more info is needed.

1) what type of door and how big, or should we use r-13 for that.

2) any windows, how big, double pane or should we use r-4 for that.

3) how tall are the walls, or should we assume 8ft for that.

4) how about the floor, or just assume a 4inch slab for that.

I hate to get a little fussy, but you need this info to get it right. How picky did you get with your calcs? Perhaps your numbers are off a bit? <_< I only ask because a contest should be fair. I don't mean to come off as rude, and appologise if it seems that way. :hide:

Coadster no offence taken! I get very picky being an HVAC contractor for 26 years and in the industry for 31 you want to get as accurate as possible so let me give you as much information as I can.

The floor is 12 X 25 = 300 sq ft 4" concrete slab on grade no perimeter insulation.

3 exterior walls. The north and south end walls slope from 9' to 5' 6" to follow my existing garage roof line. So figure the two end walls 12 W X 7' tall avg celing height all walls have 1/2 OSB inside and out With R-13 insulation annd vapor barrior and vinyle siding. Walls sit on 8x8x16 greyhounds <<< for non construction guys those are concrete blocks! :omg:

The south wall has a 4' wide X 6' 1" Service door that is 2" thick insulated polystyrene insulated.

This building has no windows.

the long east wall (low wall) is 25' wide X 5' 6" tall made of same construction as other walls listed above.

The ceiling is a roof ceiling combonation 3 2X6 construction with proper ventilation from eve to existing garage attic. The insulation is R-13, puter grey roof shingles,

the roof deck is 5/8 OSB the celing underneath is OSB will be painted white! :omg:

ceiling deminsions are 13' X 25' = 325 sq ft. because of roof pitch.

The lighting will be 4) 32w 2 bulb shop lights.

No other heat gain sources.

Figure 1 person working in shop.

Here are some pics hope this helps! :D

GARAGESHED145.jpg

HORSESINSTABLE002.jpg

GARAGESHED150.jpg

HorseStable013.jpg

HorseStable009.jpg

Lane Ranger

8,000 BTU's and that is probably too much!

Lane Ranger

whchris

between 4800 Btu's running constantly and 9600 Btu's cycling 24-7 now if you want it to heat up only when your gonna be working in there id say around an 80,000 Btu blower would be your best bet but if you really want my opinion a nice wood stove like an Ashley wood heater would be the best heat out there and putting out around 220,000 Btu's you could open up the window a crack or if your in and out constantly it would be perfect

Nick

What he really needs is an Amish crafted miracle heater or maybe a magic Eden Pure. Trust the Amish or Paul Harvey. :hide:

linen beige

If by BTU you mean British Thermal Unit I'll lower my guess to 22,000 to account for the one low wall.

But if by BTU you mean Beautiful Tallented Undergraduate I'll say just one if she's dedicated. :hide::hide: :D

HorseFixer
What he really needs is an Amish crafted miracle heater or maybe a magic Eden Pure. Trust the Amish or Paul Harvey.