Nathanielperz

Four Wheeler Rat Rod/Hack Job

Nathanielperz

Over my summer vacation last year I got a four wheeler from my cousin in return for working for him during the summer. The four wheeler did not run and it was (and still is) in rough shape. It started out life as a Suzuki Quadsport 230 until someone ripped the motor out and put in the motor from a 1983 Yamaha XT200 on/off road bike. These people obviously had no idea what they were doing as you will see in future posts to come. I find this absolutely hilarious how chopped this thing is.

• Like 1

Jparkes43

Sounds good fun! cant wait to see this one :)  and also quite funny.

James

Edited by Jparkes43

Nathanielperz

So when I first saw it I thought "New plastics, seat, paint job and it'll be awesome" That's not the case at all actually. Things only get worse from here. (I will have to go take some better pictures for you guys)

20150706_120620.jpg

• Like 2

Jparkes43

She does look in rough shape!

James

Nathanielperz

So I finally get it home and I immediately change the plug and clean the carb. I put it all back together and put some gas in 'er and go to kick it over, (that's right no electric start) and i find that you cant kick it all the way because your foot hits the back tire so I put a chain on it and tow it up to the top of the drive way and hop on, throw 'er in second and pop the clutch. It starts up but sputters and dies. I mess around with the carb adjustments and try it again, and it fires right up running strong. "this is awesome everything is going great!" I shift down to first and slowly let out the clutch and get going but the chain falls off. So I put it back on and try again. Same thing... "hmm whats going on?" I put the chain back on and pop the clutch to stall 'er ( that's the only way to shut it off cause none of the switches do anything...) I get off and look at the sprocket alignment and what I saw was insane.

quad.jpg

• Like 2

Jparkes43

:o That sprocket location is crazy! at least you got it running. 

James

Nathanielperz

Yeah the front sprocket was about 1" out of place so we cut the horrible engine mounts that were there and made some new ones welding it in solid. And it doesn't run anymore either lol

Jparkes43

Thats crazy i'm surprised that it didn't fly off or something crazy! could be quite dangerous as well. Ah ok makes sense/sounds like a good idea. 

Oh no aha did it just stop running and now wont run ?? or is it something you have done?

James

Nathanielperz

Well once I fixed the motor mount I tried it again and it fell off again... I started looking around and I was so confused and frustrated it was crazy but my dad suggested I look at the rear swing arm so I put it up on jack stands and sure enough if you squeezed the chain, the entire rear swing arm and axle would twist. I took the swing arm off and was impressed once again. These people...must've jumped it too hard or something and blew out the bushings but instead of doing it right... THEY USED A SOCKET AS A BUSHING... :text-lol::jaw::angry-banghead: I laughed for probably an hour straight so my dad and I cut it off and made our own bushing and I think it turned out pretty nice.

the damaged swing arm

10714-20150827_191944jpg

that is the "old bushing"

?browse=1

the new swing arm

?browse=1

the new bushing that we made from stuff we had laying around.

?browse=1

Edited by Nathanielperz
typo

Jparkes43

Wow that sounds like a story and a half to keep in memory!!!  :o This was defiantly a bit of a wonky build!! 

I don't know if its me but i cant seem to see the pictures??

James 

Nathanielperz

So after that was done I get it running again I try it out and it actually drives! But then it stalls on me when i pull the clutch in and the motor locks up. I can't kick it over, and i cant get it out of gear. So I have to leave it in the middle of the street and go get a screw driver and the tractor (sadly not the 1276 but the Cub Cadet) and pull it home. I took it apart and found that the gear on the clutch basket was missing half of the teeth on it, thats why it locked up on me. 6 months later I finally get the part i need ($95 gone) and put it back together. I go to start 'her up by kicking 'er and the thing backfires and shoots the kickstarter into my shin. OWW! :ranting: i couldn't figure out what the issue was so i had a buddy from school come and take a look at it and he almost breaks his wrist on the kickstart when it backfires on him. He takes off a cover and looks at the flywheel and get this... THERES NO FLYWHEEL NUT/BOLT HOLDING ON THE FLYWHEEL so its literally just sitting in there. :think:  and thats all she wrote lol... i think im just going to part 'er out on ebay.

I think you have to right click on the links and open in a new tab for the pictures to work.