MWR

Working the Old Mountain Road

MWR

This road was built back in the late 1970s on the mountain behind my house.  It was used as a core drilling road.  The  wood I rolled off the mountain is below this road and I couldn't get to it with any machinery besides my 4 wheeler.  This road now has trees grown up int it, in addition to some rocks and dirt slide off the bank onto the road.  Now that I have access to my late father in law's Case tractor, I can use it to pull firewood out of the woods on this road.  Of course, I don't want to damage the Case, so I took the Wheelhorse out to work the road.  I needed to move sharp rocks, trees, and whatever else might bust a tire on the Case.  I think the rear tires on that thing are just under $1,000.00 each.  That's my story anyway. 

Actually, I just like to grade a road, make that any road, with the Wheelhorse.  And this is a compilation of 3 or 4 different road grading excursions.

I speeded it up quite a bit, so it wouldn't be to long.  I have worked about 1/2 a mile of the road that is on my property.  After I filmed all this, I went back with the chain saw and cut some of the trees that would get in the way of the Case.  This coming weekend I may film a ride over the road on the ATV and show the results of all this grading.  It looks pretty good now, to hear me tell it.

And if any of you have ever pulled logs, you know that they have a tendency to grade the road themselves.

• Like 5

Tankman

Rely on my grandsons and a mid mount grader.

Nice video. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I can not think of a better way to get seat time. Keep sending the videos .

• Like 2

stevasaurus

OK, I think that this video is your best one yet...and the other 2 were mighty good.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  This one got even better after a couple shots of Jack.  I thought we were going down the mountain side once or twice.  That Kohler still sounds good at Warp 2 Scotty.  :)

• Like 8

DougC

That looks like a fun project. It doesn't take long for mother nature to reclaim her mountain with the rock slides, erosion  from the rains and new trees growing in the road blocking or impeding your progress. Be careful not to drive off the mountain and ride that :wh: all the way to the bottom......  :lol:

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

That Kohler still sounds good at Warp 2 Scotty

Sounds like a chainsaw motor goin' to town!

@MWR is all that property yours?  You are a lucky man to have that as a back yard!

• Like 6

MWR
Just now, pullstart said:

Sounds like a chainsaw motor goin' to town!

@MWR is all that property yours?  You are a lucky man to have that as a back yard!

About 100 acres of river bottom land.  The majority of which are turned up on the edge - as in "Steep as a hog's face" hillsides.  I have about 20-30 acres of flat land.

• Like 6

AMC RULES

jj-1417_1z.jpg

:blink:  Just sayin'...

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 6

Pullstart

Is the Dramamine for riding in the logs down the hill?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

That, and gettin' up there.   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

953 nut

Thanks for the ride, Kind of reminds me of the carnival ride called the "Wild Mouse"; but in this case it was the "Wild GT-14".  :ychain:

• Like 2

TDF5G

Great video.  Thanks for posting it here for us!  

The Wheel Horse sounds like a 2 cycle sped up that way. :auto-swerve:

That's some nice property you have there, for lots of good :wh: activity.   I'd hate to run out of gas up there on the hill!  

• Like 3

WHX??
19 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

:blink:  Just sayin'...

Quit being a wussy Craig & save it for @stevasaurus ...oh thats right....four years in and he has never been haze grey & underway!!!

images.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I did get seasick in a lobster boat out of Maine one time.  We were hand lining for cod off the shelf.  Hazy day, no wind, no reference point...just easy up and down...and we had beer (Black Label).  :)  Could have been the beer. 

• Like 3

WHX??
3 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Could have been the beer. 

Hmmmm :think: .....Black Label...... YA THINK???

• Like 3

JimD

That was a cool video. Sounded a bit like the flight of the bumble bee but even that was cool. I know you're no stranger to mountainous terrain but please be careful, especially where those gully washes are forming on the lower bank. It wouldn't be hard to get pulled over the side in one of those. Talk about a wild ride! :lol: I'd love to see how you have your camera mounted to hold it so still to get the clean video. Nicely done. Siskel and Ebert would have said... :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by JimD
  • Like 3

MWR
46 minutes ago, JimD said:

That was a cool video. Sounded a bit like the flight of the bumble bee but even that was cool. I know you're no stranger to mountainous terrain but please be careful, especially where those gully washes are forming on the lower bank. It wouldn't be hard to get pulled over the side in one of those. Talk about a wild ride! :lol: I'd love to see how you have your camera mounted to hold it so still to get the clean video. Nicely done. Siskel and Ebert would have said... :thumbs::thumbs:

Here's a video of the mount.  Obviously home made.  Used 1/2 galvanized pipe, the  camera support from an old tripod mount, some rubber hose for shock absorbers and bolted it to the fenders.  Still shakes some.  I may try to mount the camera just in front of the steering wheel.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

As my kin and others in these parts say "Red Neck Engineering " works. I like your set up. Smarter than the idiots snapping a selfie while driving at neck break speeds on the highway.:text-coolphotos:

ericj

what case tractor do you have, how about some pictures of it. my dad bought a case 800, brand new in may of 1958. we still have it, my brother had to do a lot of work on it to get it running again after sitting for a long time out side.

eric j 

Edited by ericj

MWR

Case 730