Sign in to follow this  
Tomcat1975

Electrical wiring issues

Tomcat1975

I have a 1989 wheelhorse 257-H Model 2217KE02 I need wiring help I can't find a single wiring diagram please help I can find for an 88 257-H but not an 89. Or if anyone can tell me I got 3 wires that come from seat switch orange,white, and a light green which wire goes where or can I just bypass seat safety switch completely.

Edited by Tomcat1975

KC9KAS

:WRS:

Yes, you can "by-pass" any safety switch for trouble-shooting purposes only, but it is called a "Safety" switch for a reason.

Is the wiring on a 1988 not the same as a 1989?

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

1988 and 1989 use the same exact engine spec and the same switches.

The only difference sounds like the color of the wires.

The 111332 switch has 3 terminals. Parts list shows 2 of these switches being used so suspect they make up the transmission neutral switch.

One wire is common to the other two.

Switch at rest joins the common to the other terminal #1 (Other terminal #2 not connected)

Switch depressed joins the common to the other terminal #2 (Other terminal #1 not connected)

This is the only switch in the Glossary of this file on page 3-35

Garry

• Like 1

Tomcat1975
16 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

:WRS:

Yes, you can "by-pass" any safety switch for trouble-shooting purposes only, but it is called a "Safety" switch for a reason.

Is the wiring on a 1988 not the same as a 1989?

Will the seat switch them make the pto not work properly the reason I ask is because I'm trying to determine which switch it is the seat switch,pto switch or ignition switch what happens is it starts up just fine but when you turn key to off it stays running and when I turn pto switch on it won't come but pto light comes on so I didn't no if because the seat switch is safety switch as well if that's my problem but that's where I'm at stumped

Just now, Tomcat1975 said:

Will the seat switch them make the pto not work properly the reason I ask is because I'm trying to determine which switch it is the seat switch,pto switch or ignition switch what happens is it starts up just fine but when you turn key to off it stays running and when I turn pto switch on it won't come but pto light comes on so I didn't no if because the seat switch is safety switch as well if that's my problem but that's where I'm at stumped

And I think the only difference is colors of wires like Gary was saying

I've been rebuilding these mower engines for years now but I'm terrible when it comes to wiring so basically What im asking is there a simple way to test this wiring problem for dummies

gwest_ca

I don't know this model and can only go by the 1988 detailed wiring diagram so going to think on paper here.

This model uses a magneto type of ignition which is self powered. The lone ignition wire simply grounds the ignition to shut the engine OFF. Do not allow and battery power into that ignition wire because that will burn up the coil.

Treat this as two separate problems - igniton won't shut off and pto not engaging.

The starter circuit uses the ignition switch (START position), pto switch (pto OFF), and neutral switch (trans in neutral) to energize the starter solenoid. All that is working

The ignition in the START position uses the ignition switch (M terminal not grounded), pto switch (pto OFF) and the seat switch (operator in seat opens the contacts that ground the ignition wire)

Most times a seat switch controls the ignition. If the operator falls out of the seat with the pto OFF the seat switch in this case of magneto ignition grounds the coil and the engine quits. On this model the operator must be in the seat to have ignition when starting the engine. The ignition is working but is the operator in the seat when starting?

The ignition in the RUN position uses the ignition switch (M terminal not grounded), pto switch (pto ON) and the seat switch (operator in seat opens the contacts that ground the ignition wire) With the pto ON the pto switch passes the ignition wire on to the seat switch. If the seat switch is open (operator in seat) the ignition wire is not grounded. If it were closed the ignition would quit. If you get out of the seat does the engine quit as it should?

Sounds like the seat switch is working properly but your answer to the 2 questions should confirm it.

The problem may be the single ignition wire from the engine. If you can identify it take a jumper and ground it to the chassis and/or battery (-) negative - the engine should quit. The ignition switch and the seat switch both ground that ignition wire so my guess is the wire is the problem and not the switches.

When you find the ignition problem it may solve the pto problem. 

One thing that is common to both problems is the chassis grounds. The body of the ignition switch should be grounded so check that first. Also make sure all the chassis metal is grounded.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

KC9KAS

Just print out the wiring diagram. Follow each wire from end to end.

You can make notes on your printout as to what color your wires are if the are different from the print.

You just need to make sure that each wire is connected exactly where it should be connected and no discrepancies are found.

You may find bad connections or wires terminated at the wrong location, or not even connected!

Good luck and keep us informed!