82Caddy

Excuse to buy more tools

CasualObserver

:thumbs: Nice looking harvest table!  My wife wants something similar. Lucky for me, she doesn't read here.

• Like 7

82Caddy

I might have 100$ worth of materials invested in this table and benches.  Lots of time spent sanding but that's what happens when you don't have a planer.

• Like 3

Sparky

Well done! Whats the plan for chairs? Store bought?

Mike.........

82Caddy

For now we're going to use the chairs from the old table.  That is until I get the all clear to buy a woodworking lathe then I'll try making my own or she finds something we we stain to match the table.

• Like 2

WHX??

Her  new table = your new horse..... ain't that the way it works!?!?!?

What did you put on the top Caddy?  I use these products on a couple of my projects and  holds up well. https://www.menards.com/main/interior-wood-care/polyurethane-clear-protective-finishes/floor-polyurethane/c-14366.htm

Menards also has a epoxy finnish for bar tops & the like but I can't find it online ..saw it when I was there yesterday . very $$ but tough.

I'll get some pictures tonite of what I had to honeydo to get a new horse..... you guys might enjoy them...

• Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, 82Caddy said:

I might have 100$ worth of materials invested in this table and benches.  Lots of time spent sanding but that's what happens when you don't have a planer.

Should have gotten a planer :banana-jumprope:

82Caddy
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

Should have gotten a planer :banana-jumprope:

I tried, couldn't justify the money for one and I don't know anyone that has one.  Couldn't find a used one in the time frame I had to work with.

1 hour ago, WHX61/3 said:

Her  new table = your new horse..... ain't that the way it works!?!?!?

What did you put on the top Caddy?  I use these products on a couple of my projects and  holds up well. https://www.menards.com/main/interior-wood-care/polyurethane-clear-protective-finishes/floor-polyurethane/c-14366.htm

Menards also has a epoxy finnish for bar tops & the like but I can't find it online ..saw it when I was there yesterday . very $$ but tough.

I'll get some pictures tonite of what I had to honeydo to get a new horse..... you guys might enjoy them...

It was a matte polyurethane from Varthane - I'm not sure on the exact one.  I used almost 2 qts :hide: on the table top alone and the last 1/4 went on the bench tops.   

Edited by 82Caddy

JimD

Very nice work on the table and benches. You could probably sell a couple to make money for a planer or lathe. :thumbs::thumbs:

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Great looking table. Build me one.

wrightorchid

Looks great and and a nice design.

82Caddy
34 minutes ago, Daddy Don said:

Great looking table. Build me one.

If you weren't so far away, I'd build you one.  I have actually had 4 different people ask me if I'll build them a table or coffee table for them.

WHX??

Well then ther you go Caddy...found your new life's calling.!!!:ychain:

Planers are nice to have but for what you have to lay out for one you better use it alot. Still came out nice in the end.

DougC

You do good work 82Caddy. If I spend a hundred or so dollars on pine to build a table it would end up being a hundred or so dollars worth of fire wood for the garage furnace and the wife would get her $4,000 dollar table and chairs just to teach me a lesson.......... :lol:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I built this with a circular saw, and a power mitre saw. It is L shaped, 8' x 7'

my desk.jpg

• Like 6

953 nut
5 hours ago, 82Caddy said:

Lots of time spent sanding but that's what happens when you don't have a planer.

A planer wouldn't do a very good job on such soft wood. Sanding is much more important. I am building a set of oak cabinets for our utility room and have to do a great deal of sanding after planing because of "tool marks" left by the planer, even worse on soft woods. 

I too have had to tool up a bit, I had all of the bigger wood working tools already, but bought a new pocket screw tool and several new router bits to replace old ones and make the type of moldings "Mrs 953 nut" wanted on the cabinets. I should do a post on it.

• Like 1

82Caddy
23 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A planer wouldn't do a very good job on such soft wood. Sanding is much more important. I am building a set of oak cabinets for our utility room and have to do a great deal of sanding after planing because of "tool marks" left by the planer, even worse on soft woods. 

I too have had to tool up a bit, I had all of the bigger wood working tools already, but bought a new pocket screw tool and several new router bits to replace old ones and make the type of moldings "Mrs 953 nut" wanted on the cabinets. I should do a post on it.

My only reasoning behind the planer would be to get the boards closer to the same starting thickness.  

You should start a thread about your cabinets. It's great to learn new things/tricks from others. 

• Like 2

Zeek

Beautiful job!

Marv

Did I get this right? You did that nice work just so you could get toolsl? Good job!!

Marvin

JPWH

Good looking table and benches.

I agree with honeydos can add to tool inventory. I remodeled our kitchen a few years ago and now have a nice table saw, plunge router, planer, and wet cut tile saw that I didn't have before the project started and did the remodel for 1/3 of contractor estimate even with buying tools.

• Like 2

WHX??

I didn't have to buy any tools for my honeydo bathroom & shower. A buddy has all the tools to deal with tiles and borrowed plumbing tools from work. Don't mind the custom vise grip shower handle, the trim hasn't come in yet!! This project is not helping toward getting Matt's pedal kit on the 520 or the 400 burban project!!

20160407_194514.jpg

20160407_194517.jpg

Edited by WHX61/3
add
  • Like 6

JimD

That's nice looking tile job. I like the stones mixed in, looks great! :)

• Like 2

82Caddy

Nice work on the bathroom.

The table started because we got new counter tops in the kitchen and I'm sure we all can see where this is going...we got new counter tops because the Mrs. broke the old ones with a roaster oven...which led to back splash, appliances, new tile floor, painted walls, new hanging light fixture...

Before of the kitchen:

26244258541_a62e8940e4_z.jpg

After kitchen:

25990055025_ea5aa52321_k.jpg

My best friend does tile/granite for a living so I (with is help) did everything but the counter tops.

• Like 6

WHX??

Gotta admit it does look nice tho Caddy...what did you use for the lights over the TOP of the cabs????

• Like 1

82Caddy
27 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

Gotta admit it does look nice tho Caddy...what did you use for the lights over the TOP of the cabs????

I will agree, it does look nice and that is not because of me.  I have no vision for how things will all look when put together.  That is all my wife.  The lights were the florescent tube lights that were re-purposed for the garden seed starting.  Now the lights are LED strip lights I got from Amazon.  Switched both upper and lowers to the LED kind.

We also switched all of the other "main" lights over to LED's.  We still have a few rooms left to do but they are the spare bedrooms and spaces we don't spend a ton of time.

• Like 3