marky

wheel horse 1054 trans axle

marky

i got a wheel horse 857 and want to put a wheel horse 1054 trans axle into it. does any one have a axle i could buy?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You should be able to get one from @racinfool40 (Mike)...send him a PM  :)

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:  What you propose doing can be done, however you may not want to. The 1054 has 15" rear tires and the gearing on the transaxle is higher to compensate, if you were to put it in the 857 with 12" rear tires it would go a bit slow. Also it will not be a direct bolt-up because the bolt pattern is a bit different, you will probably have to drill and tap a couple of bolt holes in the transaxle or the plate that it bolts to.

A few years back I did the opposite job, I put a 1267 Transaxle in my 953 Hot Rod because I wanted the limited slip 6 speed. Low range third gear is just right for Kruisin the show grounds and in high range it moves along pretty well.

If you decide to do the job please share some photos and commentary about the job.  :wwp:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

prondzy

The bolt pattern from frame to rear end will not match up you will need to re drill the bolt holes in the frame. You would not be gaining much if anything.  They are both 3 speed transmissions. Besides that the bevel gears in the 1054 transmission are a weak point which is not good for a worker, parts aren't cheap. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

As  Stevasaurus says you should be able to get one from @racinfool40 (Mike Biser).  Mike took one of my old 1054 transmissions and upgraded it to an 8 pinion  differential in the  transmission (taken from later models Wheel Horse tractors) to strengthen the differential in the 1054.    The 953/1054 axles are longer than other Wheel Horse transmissions and the first that were 1 1/8  round. 

Here are some pics of an old  Wheel Horse 1054  axle.   The second pic is a closeup of the splined  end of the axle that mounts in the differential.   The  third picture is of the worn area on the axle that   happens as the needle bearing in the case sidewall wears.     The read painted area is outside the transmission case.   A very big Woodruff key goes on the hub side of the axle too!

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

• Like 2