wh500special

Thinking about a major downsizing. Comments please.

stevasaurus

HOLY COW STEVE!!  Does this mean we are going to get to Shelbyville??  :)   Just wanted to put a smile on your face.  This is huge what you are doing.

• Like 6

slammer302

When the weather gets nice I will have to come give you a visit

• Like 1

can whlvr

I am in a similar boat to you but I don't have that many tractors,only 10,but I know what you mean,will I ever get enough time to do all the things I want to in life,i love working on tractors but theres not enough time for so many,and you have a lot,i think you have a great idea to sell to people who appreciate wheelhorses,and maybe lots of them will get used and restored as they should,i lend out a few tractors here and there just so they get used a bit,i cant use then all,if I were in your shoes and got good responses from the members and community I would do as yyou are thinking

• Like 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am sure that there would be interest in your tractors . See PM

• Like 1

Horse46

I would love to go to a big ole house party, garden sale, swap meet ,call it what you will, but alas I don't live in the USA

I think you should maybe catalogue what you have, and at least a snap of each. I don't tend to want stuff that I haven't seen if you know what I mean.

• Like 6

WHX??

Times change, people change,  interests change so we all understand your dillemma. . I don't know if this idea would apply to you but I think a good way to thin a herd would be to have a meet & greet. No one here would expect you to give it away but at least this way you would know that your collection is going to folks that still have a passion for our hobby/addiction. CL or ebay would be time consuming and you would would have to deal with people that are alot more nuts than us here.

Put a set price on each piece you want to see go (maybe  a little discount for members here.. :techie-idea:) and wheel and deal from there. If a guy told you he is interested if you ever sell ( even if it was ages ago and you can't  remember who it was) he gets first dibs.

I say put out feelers to see who might be interested. I know I would be.  A good way to start is you would have to have a list of what you are going to let go and what it is worth and post it here. You should have that anyway for estate planning.  

Edited by WHX6
spell
  • Like 6

Coadster32

I think you are on the right track. Could save yourself alot of hassel if a group came to you. I'd be sure to think that alot of interested people in your area form RS would show up. One thing to keep in mind is that you won't really get rid of anything if you're not priced to sell.

My interests changed as well, and I thinned from a 13 tractor herd down to two. Beyond that...RS still draws me in. Good luck...I'm wrenching on a 2nd gen. Camaro now-a-days.

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor

Steve, you know which one(s) I would be interested in!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

dcrage

I would love to come see your collection (and maybe purchase something) -- But then I am only 50 miles away from you, so it is no big deal for me to get there

• Like 4

DougC

You have an amazing collection and I would most certainly be interested in seeing a list of what you have and a ballpark kind of price. I know that would be time consuming and labor intensive as well. Perhaps members could PM you with questions or chat with you on cell phones to avoid long distance calling charges and make the chore of selling a little simpler and easier?  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Let see, I can be there in about 3 1/2 hours!

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sorry to hear, although I get the same way sometime and I only have 5 tractors. But health issues and family things keep my plate full right now. Sorry your so far away, it would be great to see a big collection of all that stuff.  I am sure many items I would never be able to see in my lifetime. All I can do is wish you the best of luck in your future and follow along as you post and unwind. 

Anyway my friend, the best to you. Only you know what right for you.

Glenn

• Like 2

squonk

I would be interested in a 500 special if you had one. but time and money only permit me 1 big trip a year and that's the show. Good luck in what ever you do. Maybe some pics  on here so at least us guys at a distance can enjoy your collection one last time. :)

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, WHX6 said:

Times change, people change,  interests change so we all understand your dillemma. . I don't know if this idea would apply to you but I think a good way to thin a herd would be to have a meet & greet. No one here would expect you to give it away but at least this way you would know that your collection is going to folks that still have a passion for our hobby/addiction. CL or ebay would be time consuming and you would would have to deal with people that are alot more nuts than us here.

Put a set price on each piece you want to see go (maybe  a little discount for members here.. :techie-idea:) and wheel and deal from there. If a guy told you he is interested if you ever sell ( even if it was ages ago and you can't  remember who it was) he gets first dibs.

I say put out feelers to see who might be interested. I know I would be.  A good way to start is you would have to have a list of what you are going to let go and what it is worth and post it here. You should have that anyway for estate planning.  

...Meet and Greet...Seems like this would be your best bet - one and done with folks rsvp'ing so you know what to expect. I would think your WH / RS crowd would not only be the most interested, but more importantly the most respectful of you, your herd and your time...:twocents-02cents:

All the best to you.

• Like 7

WNYPCRepair

I would make the drive for a FEL, or xi attachments. Other than that, I have to get rid of a couple, or build a barn. :)

• Like 3

russellmc301

i would be interested in anything to do with A-100 or A-90. but i have no clue if you have one.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Steve,

I'm a new member here and my interest is much narrower and focused than lots of the members, but if you have what might interest me, I'm within reasonable driving time, if there's the desire and good reason to participate.
I would think the best thing for you to do is create an inventory list of items you wish to sell, with a minimum pricing which would be acceptable to you, and make that known publicly here.
Not even knowing what you have, I'm sure you would create considerable interest, since the specific market which your collection would have the most meaning to already exists here, and theoretically, would pay you the most reasonable prices the market would bear. Some pics of what you have would stir positive interest......visual stimulation beats text descriptions all to he-double-hockey-sticks to attract buyers.

I would make a suggestion however. Are you really prepared to deal with an unknown (at this point in time) number of potential buyers on a single day, weekend, or whatever, and handling all those transactions yourself? Think about 30, 40, maybe 50 or more people wanting your attention, brainstorming about a certain model or feature, and haggling with you at the same time, or in close succession. I would personally find that a bit overwhelming. I honestly would find that overly stressful. Buyer's generally like an orderly process in a public sale setting. I'm not sure that's what they would get with a "do it yourself" public sale. If it's 5-10 people, maybe it's not a big deal. The bigger the numbers, the more problems, IMO.

I suggest you consider advertising your list among WH aficionados, get a headcount of potential onsite bidders to see if  a sale is justified on a certain date, and, if so, think about having a local auctioneer you know and trust and can make a decent deal with, handle the sale. Allow 2, 3, 4 hours "preview time" where you can mill around and discuss things with folks, then the auctioneer starts the sale and it runs it natural course, without your hands on involvement. Set reserves of whatever you desire (based on the distributed inventory list and minimum pricing), and sit back and watch the action begin. It takes you out of the up front selling equation, handling money, clerking, etc., and lets you add commentary to the auctioneer's call, if needed, to move things along or answer a specific question.

Do what you want, but I would want to minimize the stress, worry, emotional turmoil, and personal angst of such a sale if it were my long possessed property I was selling, at the site of where I live. I'd be looking for the most streamlined way to do that. I think that involves detaching yourself from the details and methodology of getting you to where you want to go, as much as possible.

Regards,
Steve

• Like 5

marvins

I am about hour and half away and would be interested in what you have. I would like to have a chance to buy some of your collection.

• Like 1

baerpath

Been there done that After getting hurt in 2012 I decided to thin out also.  I've sold a bunch off still have around 25. I found it was easier to sell off slowly, first 20 I didn't even realize were gone. So far I've cleared half the barn and Marylou filled it right back up

If a bunch wanted tractor picked up I would come out and visit with the 40 ft trailer.

• Like 5

953 nut

I feel your pain, I have a 1946 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet Street Rod project that I purchased about 20 years ago and realize it will probably never be built by me, but I am not yet willing to let go of it

I would love to see the collection, but the eleven hour trip (each way) is a deal beaker.   :text-imsorry:            If Duane was willing to bring a load of pre-purchased :wh: and or implements to the big show I know we could all pitch in to make the trip worthwhile to him.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 7

WHX??

Good idea @953 nut.....have a meet & greet & possibly bring some stuff (on consignment? ?) To a show out east where all the real hoarders are??  Just food for thought 500special ....Rest assured we would all want you to be comfortable in the end..and catch many fish in the end...:)

• Like 1

stevebo

I would say take pictures and put a price on each tractor. I would think that if you were able to pre sell 10 or more that you would have to deliver to the big show for a fee or pay Duane to haul them to the show (but he will need my Duramax to haul a loaded 40' trailer since his Ford might not handle it) lol.... 

If you were here in New England where we have more members close by I think the meet and greet would be the way to go but distance out there may be an issue. I know that if I had 10 tractors presold I would have no problem hauling them along with as many others I wanted to sell to the show in June. Why not give us a "teaser" and snap a few overview pictures....:rolleyes:

• Like 2

baerpath
1 hour ago, stevebo said:

I would say take pictures and put a price on each tractor. I would think that if you were able to pre sell 10 or more that you would have to deliver to the big show for a fee or pay Duane to haul them to the show (but he will need my Duramax to haul a loaded 40' trailer since his Ford might not handle it) lol.... 

If you were here in New England where we have more members close by I think the meet and greet would be the way to go but distance out there may be an issue. I know that if I had 10 tractors presold I would have no problem hauling them along with as many others I wanted to sell to the show in June. Why not give us a "teaser" and snap a few overview pictures....:rolleyes:

Beep Beep Steve

12643016_1272988429381715_747568907610150196_n.jpg

• Like 5