GlenPettit

Tool Manufacturers: Who owns who!

tunahead72

Good grief, it's impossible to keep straight!

It's also impossible to keep straight who makes quality stuff any more, and who doesn't.  Past reputation doesn't mean much if the players are constantly changing.  This seems to apply to everything lately -- tools, auto parts, appliances, the list goes on forever. Wanted to insert a "disgusted" emoticon here, but they're not working right now for some reason.

• Like 1

roadapples

Very interesting, thanks for posting Glen..

WNYPCRepair

Illinois Tool Works on that list owns thousands of companies. They are huge.

KC9KAS

Huhhhh. I never did see the JAPan company in all that info! :ROTF:

953 nut

Then worst part of these mergers and buyouts is that when you need parts for your item made by one of the "Acquired"  companies the new company probably won't have what you are looking for, they don't seem to want to support them with parts. I have some Porter Cable tools that I have had to match-up motor brushes and air tool parts for. If it wasn't for the internet and a fair amount of persistence I would have had to toss them out.

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Then worst part of these mergers and buyouts is that when you need parts for your item made by one of the "Acquired"  companies the new company probably won't have what you are looking for, they don't seem to want to support them with parts. I have some Porter Cable tools that I have had to match-up motor brushes and air tool parts for. If it wasn't for the internet and a fair amount of persistence I would have had to toss them out.

That's the new point of this approach...They want (need) you to throw it out so they, or more likely a "competitor" that they also own, can sell you a new one. They don't make money on the parts...So sad.

In a way, that's why RS appeals to me. It is populated by folks who are the direct opposite, not only with WH's, but with everything - if it ain't broke don't fix it...If it is broke FIX IT! Pretty rare world view that I'm proud to share and support...

• Like 4

RedRanger

So Snap-On and Stihl are still self owned.  The rest are owned by ****, Chinese, and Thais.

God help our children.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
On 2/1/2016 at 3:49 PM, WNYPCRepair said:

Illinois Tool Works on that list owns thousands of companies. They are huge.

Hate to admit it but I've been buying and collecting tools for over 50 years and I have no memory of Illinois Tool Works!  Can't wait to read the article!

Just read that they own Paslode and I have a Paslode gas frame nailer, and have used several of their products!

Edited by DennisThornton

WNYPCRepair

Illinois Tool Works, and some of the companies they own. Now think about all the companies those companies own, and so on...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Tool_Works

Ken B

I try to buy only the best when I purchase tools. My Mac tool box is full of Snap-on, Mac, Blackhawk and some vintage Craftsman. I haven't made any large tool purchases in almost 20 yrs. because I've had what I need but I know every tool I own was made in the good Old U.S. of A. Don't think that you are safe in purchasing modern day Snap-On or Mac tools. A BUNCH of their stuff is made in china.  I was told if a Snap-On tool doesn't say Made in USA on it then it was made in china. Have you ever put a 25 yr. old Snap-On screw driver or wrench in your hand and used it? If you have then you know that you are holding a super high quality tool in your hand. One of my buddies has a new set of Snap -On screw drivers and when I went to use one it felt cheap and awkward, and it looked gaudy. The first thing that came to my mind was Crapola.  Its amazing how many quality companies get bought up and the first thing that comes to these people's minds is how can we cheapen this up, all they do is ruin a good name because c'mon, we ain't stupid are we?:scratchead: 

• Like 4

gt4

That old saying " they don't make em like they used to " will alway's ring true. What a shame.

roadapples

When the next generation is our age are they gonna` think this stuff was good ??

• Like 2

Digger 66
2 hours ago, roadapples said:

When the next generation is our age are they gonna` think this stuff was good ??

Yup .:(

• Like 2