Mr. 856

who's powder coating?

Mr. 856

Anyone else powder coating there parts? I don't think I will ever paint a small part again. Red Wagon from Eastwood looks darn close to me. Hope to move up to a bigger oven. I'd love to do the entire tractor in powder. There is nothing more frustrating then spending the time to strip parts, prime them, paint them, wait two weeks or more to have that part scratch or chip on install with minimal effort. It just never stands up. The paint even wore off the foot rest in about two weeks. No more. I can blast, prep, coat and bake a part and install it in an hour with no fear if that part chipping, scratching anytime in the near future. No brainer to me. Best decision I've made in awhile. Here is a picture of some engine parts in gloss black and some hitch/plow parts in red wagon. I purchased a nice HVLP gun through Eastwood to but haven't tried spraying real paint yet. I'm hooked on powder.

IMG_20160111_221001988.jpg

• Like 7

JPWH

If I can figure out the gun I need I may give it a try. I just got a working oven taken apart for the components to build a powder coating oven. Just need to figure out what size.

Hank

• Like 3

Mr. 856

Why didn't you just use the oven you took apart? Bigger parts? Grab an Eastwood gun. They work pretty well for the money. I'm thinking about maybe taking this a step further though so I'm looking at some high end equipment. 

• Like 3

RedRanger

I'd like to, but my wife would kill me.

• Like 2

JPWH

Thanks for the reply on the gun.So you think that gun would be ok for a part that size?

I have been looking at equipment and the high end can be extremly high.

The oven I took apart was a microwave/ oven and real small oven and real heavy. I think I can build a big oven that would not weigh much more. Then I could do larger parts.

• Like 1

Mr. 856

I will be honest I have not tried the gun for that big of part yet. With the proper grounding I'm certain it would do fine. Gun throws some good powder so I don't for see any issues. Eastwood tech support is pretty good. 

jackhammer

Nice job

• Like 1

82Caddy

I have a harbor freight powder coating gun.  I swapped out to a different pressure regulator/dryer and haven't had any issues with it. I picked it up on a whim since it was an open box item.  I also use a regular household oven from when we remodeled our kitchen.  Someday I'd like to build a bigger oven for larger parts but haven't had the desire to do so yet.

One of the first things I did was these BBS RS faces (three piece wheels so the faces can be separated from the lip and barrel).  

20386742436_65c293b799_c.jpg

They're not perfect but it was fun to learn how to do.  I have done quite a few different brake calipers/carriers/spindles for the different vehicles I have.  Holds up way better then paint.  It ends up taking me about the same amount of time to powder coat as it does to paint since I'm a bit more particular about making sure things are sand blasted and free of blasting material/grime etc.

• Like 4

Mr. 856

Its all about the prep as is any good paint job. I like the process a lot better then painting as patience is not one if my strongest attributes. So powder fits the bill better then paint does.

• Like 3

Martin

i work in the surface finishing industry. We do all types of blasting, vibratory and part surface finishing including powder coating. Most of our work is in the Ag industry as we are located in the Quad Cities close to JD, CAT, Case IH, etc....

Im not familiar with Eastwood equipment or powder, Nordson and Gema equipment is all we have used in production in the last 25 years or so. ( I have been there for nearly 16 years). We use all the major manufacturers for powder, PPG, Valspar, Rohm and Haas, Azko Nobel and many others.......

Most of the guys on here that know me have seen how good a tractor can turn out with powder. Its all I use as i don't have any liquid equipment or like using rattle cans for anything that i can do with powder. There are critics here that don't like using powder on their tractors, either they don't like the 'industrial' type finish, don't have access to equipment or don't fully understand its characteristics or requirements for good results. Prep work is everything and will definitely make or break a long lasting job. Powder will never have the shine or smoothness of a well done wet spray finish, but if done correctly, (prep, good powder paint and equipment, proper cure for correct time and temp etc) it can perform very well in harsh environments and actually look half decent!!

Anyone thats interested can search 'powder coating' on the forum or look at some of my posts and you can see some of the problems I've had to overcome and some of the good results as well

• Like 5

JPWH

I spoke with an Eastwood tech today. He said the mojor problem I would have is the oven size availability without going commercial. (I think i have that figured out.)

The gun would powder an object that size OK just may have to move the ground closer to where the powder is being applied.

• Like 1

Martin

just as a matter of interest, what do you pay per lb. for powder?

Mr. 856

I forget what they charge but I can tell you that there guns arent anywhere near the caliber of the nordsons,etc. They are perfect for the homeowner shop guy that's wants to powder coat and that's pretty much what I am. Nothing I own needs a showroom finish. I use my stuff. Have one tractor and she is my worker. I just like my stuff to be clean, functional, and not covered in crap when/if I need to fix it. I broke up with rattle cans though for sure.

• Like 2

JPWH

I looked at Eastwood and it depends on the powder but the red I looked at was 9.99 for 8 oz and I think 2 lbs was 25.??

Martin
23 minutes ago, Hank01 said:

I looked at Eastwood and it depends on the powder but the red I looked at was 9.99 for 8 oz and I think 2 lbs was 25.??

Ouch. One of the major problems with powder is finding reasonably priced small amounts available to the general public. We buy in 50 lb boxes and the cost is much less. I would say most powders (solid basic colors) run anywhere between $2.00 to $5.00 lb.

• Like 2

JPWH

The tech said 8 oz was about the same as 2 rattle cans. That makes the cost sound a little better.lol

Mr. 856

k181S air filter cover. Two coats high gloss black. Rest of engine is black and for some odd reason I thought the cover would look good in almond......well It didn't tickle my fancy. Ditched the almond paint for the black powder. Came out sweet.

IMG_20160117_161826265.jpg

• Like 4