Regal_Red

ID my Horse

Regal_Red

Hi Guys!!

Back at work on the Monday after vacation for the Holidays.  :blink:

Mike, should I make sure that there are two pulleys on for it it run optimally?  

Steve, I will check on the plugs for the transmission as soon as I can and keep you informed.  I'll see if the guys recall when they were working on it as well.

I was looking around on the forum and realized that I also have the original trailer with the tractor!  I kept seeing the 4-wheel wagon so I didn't think anything about the "wagon" we have.  Now I realized it is known as a trailer.  Can't tell you how many of us have had rides as kids in that over the years.  It is at my parents camp so I'll have to take a trip out to check it out!  Pictures will come! 

I am also thinking that I might like to have a snow plow for it.  Do you know if there is a specific part # or model for the plow that I need to be looking for?

I am just having a blast getting reacquainted with my Horse:wh: and learning so much!  I did order a seat cover that would have gone on the '61. 

You guys are fantastic!  

I will make sure to keep pictures coming!

Connie

• Like 3

Racinbob

Only one belt won't affect the running, just starting. As the guys said, the starter has to overcome not having the ACR.

The early 60's did have a different blade. The blade release to allow the blade to angle was different. The BD-4271 was actually listed for the 701. Starting in 1964 the blade release was changed and remained that way. They also mounted a bit differently to the rear axle. Check the manuals section and look at the 1961 BD-4271 and the 1964 BD-4264. You'll see the difference. You can use any of them designed for a short frame. Just make sure you get all the parts. The rear axle bracket is often missing.

One of the many cool things about these tractors is that so many attachments will easily interchange over the years and a snow blade definitely will. :)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

That link I gave you to the manuals also has the attachment interchangeability with it.  Check out the implement picture gallery (just below the Euro Section) to see pictures of all the attachments.  :)

BTW, I think I read where you want to paint the wheel rims white...they were painted Linen Beige from the factory.  These are close matches.

I think I am sharing your excitement!!  Very Cool.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Wheel Horse Linen

- Duplicolor Wimbledon White (paint code: T205) (Autoparts stores)

- Valspar anti-rust Gloss almond (Paint code: 21935)

- Sherwin Williams - Controls Rust - Antique White (paint code 140-2486)

- Rustoleum gloss Ivory (paint code: 249110)

- PPG Wheel Horse Linen Beige DAR 8799

• Like 3

Racinbob

One thing to keep in mind about those attachment lists. They just show the part # used for that year and nothing about forward compatibility. Virtually all attachments for quite a few later years will hook right up to your tractor. Personally, I would prefer a 1964 or later snow blade. Along with the 701 I hauled to the big show I also took a BD-4271. It definitely has a cool factor but isn't nearly as stout as the later years.

• Like 3

Regal_Red

Steve!!  Thanks so much for the detail on the wheel color!!  I do want to have the right color for them.  I wouldn't have known if you hadn't picked up on that!

I printed the manual you sent out so I would have it.  

I already talked to my husband about when we can paint the wheels.  Looks like I'll need to wait until this next Fall after our busy season in Cooperstown has ended. :sad: 

I can't wait!!  I may be able to talk him into getting it done sooner.  I think he has a hang over from getting it to where it is now.  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 3

wrightorchid

Welcome to the group.  So glad you decided to become a supporter, too.  It is amazing the knowledge within this forum.  I think it is great that you have your original tractor from childhood.  That is so rare these days.  If you want to change the decals, look in the vendor section for vinylguy.  

You tractor looks great.  That trailer is a pretty rare item, as most have rusted away by now. 

• Like 3

Regal_Red

Racinbob, 

Thank you for the info on the part numbers for the plows!  I am soaking up all of the knowledge you guys are sharing.  

My husband just shakes his head and chuckles at how excited I am.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

I found a phone number for a WH dealer a little over an hour from here.  I am going to call there and see if they have any info on where I might find one.  

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Probably have better luck on checking your local Craigslist ads. 

• Like 2

Regal_Red

Thanks for the welcome Wrightorchid!  I wanted to join as a supporter and got myself a hat too!  :wh:  It's a very special tractor to me.  I had no idea that the trailer was rare.  I remember picking up rocks from the garden in it and dumping them.  I can't remember where we put them though.  :P

My husband made all of the graphics and the decals himself.  Now that we know it's a 701 with a 702 hood, we're trying to decide if we should remove the 702 altogether, or change it to a 701.  Because the hood is a 702, he did the appropriate decal for that hood.  Not sure if we should change those to the 701 decal that goes along the side.  We like that one too!  

Any suggestions?? I would definitely like to hear what the group thinks.

• Like 1

RedRanger
52 minutes ago, Regal_Red said:

Steve!!  Thanks so much for the detail on the wheel color!!  I do want to have the right color for them.  I wouldn't have known if you hadn't picked up on that!

I printed the manual you sent out so I would have it.  

I already talked to my husband about when we can paint the wheels.  Looks like I'll need to wait until this next Fall after our busy season in Cooperstown has ended. :sad: 

I can't wait!!  I may be able to talk him into getting it done sooner.  I think he has a hang over from getting it to where it is now.  :laughing-rofl:

It's only 3 bolts, or a c clip for the front, to remove them.  Remove them and take them in the house.  You should be able to knock them out in a couple nights while watching the news. :banana-wrench:

Throw a tarp down on the floor and go to it!

2 minutes ago, Regal_Red said:

Thanks for the welcome Wrightorchid!  I wanted to join as a supporter and got myself a hat too!  :wh:  It's a very special tractor to me.  I had no idea that the trailer was rare.  I remember picking up rocks from the garden in it and dumping them.  I can't remember where we put them though.  :P

My husband made all of the graphics and the decals himself.  Now that we know it's a 701 with a 702 hood, we're trying to decide if we should remove the 702 altogether, or change it to a 701.  Because the hood is a 702, he did the appropriate decal for that hood.  Not sure if we should change those to the 701 decal that goes along the side.  We like that one too!  

Any suggestions?? I would definitely like to hear what the group thinks.

I'd go with the correct 701 decals.

• Like 3

Regal_Red
11 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

It's only 3 bolts, or a c clip for the front, to remove them.  Remove them and take them in the house.  You should be able to knock them out in a couple nights while watching the news. :banana-wrench:

Throw a tarp down on the floor and go to it!

Love this!!  Wait until I tell him!  It's very cold here today.  I'll give him a reprieve until it warms up a little or see if my son will take them off for me. :-)

13 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I'd go with the correct 701 decals.

I appreciate the feedback.  We haven't been sure which way to go.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I kinda like the idea of the 701 decals too. But, do you have the indentation in the side of the hood for the square decals? I can't tell for sure.

I wouldn't worry about the hood being wrong. Truth be known, there's far fewer true 'originals' out there than most want to think. Going by the original parts manuals is the best way to know what was original but even then, it's not 100%.. With over 50 years of service, repairs, and part swapping there's some items that really can't be proven to be truly original. You could keep an eye out for the right hood but in the meantime you have a dandy 'era correct' tractor on your hands. :)

• Like 2

Regal_Red
22 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I kinda like the idea of the 701 decals too. But, do you have the indentation in the side of the hood for the square decals?

The 702 hood does have the indents for the square decals….

I'm not so much worried about whether the hood is correct for the 701, although I did see one for sale somewhere in the last couple of days.  I would have to back track.

I'm not sure it's important to me to have the correct hood.  I don't know if it ever had the original 701 hood on it.  My Grandfather and Father are gone now so I don't have anyone to ask.  That's why all of you have been such a blessing.  Thank you!!

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:     This has been a great post,  :text-goodpost:   we can all learn a lot trying to sort out the model number and year of the :wh:. It is so cool that a third generation family member will continue to love the same horse. I wouldn't worry about the hood being another year, you know the history of your horse and that is a lot more than moist of us can lay claim to.   :text-bravo:

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Actually, the 701 came with a solid front hood, but I think we have talked before that when someone needed to replace a hood they got the slotted one...who knows, maybe that last of the 701s came with that hood...it would not surprise me.  That's my story and I am sticking to it. 

I would go with the 701 decal on the belt guard and keep the ones on the hood.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Regal, why don't you and your hubby join all of us at the Big Show in June...Ardentsville near Gettysburg???  Check the show pictures.  It is an all Wheel Horse show...probably about a 1000 of these Red Guys...you would find a snow blade there, if you do not find one sooner.  Bring something to take an extra horse home...your hubby will catch the fever sooner or later.  :bow-blue:  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

harvesttime16

I agree guys, it's a 701. Here is a pick of my 702 dash and engine side, with correct foot rests. Even though it came with an 8HP kohler from the factory.

IMG_20151024_194816.jpg.1d65fb8e77c045681cf1d7bf5c5abbed.jpg

IMG_20151018_151207.jpg.336b8156125c5a4abc7b06dd736b1069.jpg

• Like 3

Regal_Red
18 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I kinda like the idea of the 701 decals too. But, do you have the indentation in the side of the hood for the square decals?

I'm not so much worried about whether the hood is correct for the 701, although I did see one for sale somewhere in the last couple of days.  I would have to back track.

I'm not sure it's important to me to have the correct hood.  I don't know if it ever had the original 701 hood on it.  My Grandfather and Father are gone now so I don't have anyone to ask.  That's why all of you have been such a blessing.  Thank you!!

• Like 1

Regal_Red
20 hours ago, Racinbob said:

RedRanger

Double post 2 1/2 hours apart!  That's a new one.  Usually they are back to back when they happen????

Regal_Red

I am not sure why that happened.  It was getting stuck loading so I tried again.  That must have produced the two posts.  I changed browsers and seem to be able to function okay now!

20 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

why don't you and your hubby join all of us at the Big Show in June...Ardentsville near Gettysburg???

Steve, we would love too, but our daughter graduates high school that weekend.  We'll have to wait until 2017!

21 hours ago, 953 nut said:

It is so cool that a third generation family member will continue to love the same horse.

And my son will be the fourth generation.  He helped bring her back and I've already told him she will be his one day.

• Like 4

clueless

Keep the square decal, since your making them, on belt guard maybe 701.9 or 701-2 :rolleyes:. Welcome to RS.

Chris from Florida.

• Like 2

Regal_Red

Thanks Chris!! (clueless)  I appreciate hearing your thoughts!  :thanks:

stevasaurus

I think we can say with some confidence now that this horse started out as a 701...so it is a 701...started as a 701...and is still a 701.  soooooo...it is a ....  :)

701

• Like 4