jeff lary

Need New Tire Chains

WHX??

@jeff lary Hey Jeff just got my chains from i think the same place you did http://www.tirechain.com/ . Shipping was really fast, ordered Monday here on Wensday and I went wiith the cheaper 10 buck postal so 70 clams with shipping.  Problem was I had to do alot of monkeyin to get them to fit. Had to take out 2 cross links and a butt load of side chain to get them to fit snug on deflated 23x10.5x12 tires. Flated to 10 they got real nice and snug. Least they were way bigger then smaller. Also wasn't real impressed with the quality,  links open with just a small screwdriver and able to close with a small multi tool. These were supposed to be the HD ones too. Did not go with the vbars tho...too nervous about the black top thing. Missus bout strung me up when a little gas leaked out of a tractor on it.   I never had real problems last snow with just regular no chain turfs so figured save  the vbars for the side by. 

Just wonderin if you had the same problem with fitment. I thought it was kinda odd to have to take out that much chain.

shallowwatersailor
35 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Just wonderin if you had the same problem with fitment. I thought it was kinda odd to have to take out that much chain.

My 5xi have 23x10.50-12 turfs by both Titan and Kenda. When I put the chains on the Titan tires, I have to cinch up 3 links to get them tight. The Kenda tires fit exactly. I have found the Kenda tires have a squarer shoulder and slightly larger diameter. That could explain the reason for the fitment you experienced.

• Like 1

WHX??

I understand about the different tire profiles John, I just thought two crosses and almost a foot of side links were an excessive amount

shallowwatersailor

Sorry, Jim. I guess I didn't read close. Sounds like the chains were mis-marked in the box. Look at it this way, you have spare parts!  :)

jeff lary
2 hours ago, WHX6 said:

@jeff lary Hey Jeff just got my chains from i think the same place you did http://www.tirechain.com/ . Shipping was really fast, ordered Monday here on Wensday and I went wiith the cheaper 10 buck postal so 70 clams with shipping.  Problem was I had to do alot of monkeyin to get them to fit. Had to take out 2 cross links and a butt load of side chain to get them to fit snug on deflated 23x10.5x12 tires. Flated to 10 they got real nice and snug. Least they were way bigger then smaller. Also wasn't real impressed with the quality,  links open with just a small screwdriver and able to close with a small multi tool. These were supposed to be the HD ones too. Did not go with the vbars tho...too nervous about the black top thing. Missus bout strung me up when a little gas leaked out of a tractor on it.   I never had real problems last snow with just regular no chain turfs so figured save  the vbars for the side by. 

Absolutely not ,..super high quality chain and the fitment was spot on, I did not let out all the air in the tires though. I took them down to 5 or 6 lbs from 10. I was able to get the hook link on one tire into the 4th link back on one side and the third link back on the other.

I would say you got miss marked chain. There is NO way you could have removed any more than maybe 2 side links and I would not have even done that,... I need something to hang onto while trying to connect them. I did not try to remove any cross chains so I honestly don't know how hard that would have been. But I had a 2' pry bar weaved into a link while I put all my weight on it ( almost 300# ) so I could get the latch to go on over the side chains to finalize the connections they were Plenty solid. I think you should have contacted the seller something don't sound right to me . Sorry to hear you had bad luck I feel a little responsible for that as you took my advice to buy at the same place, I am sorry for all the issues Jeff

1 hour ago, WHX6 said:

I understand about the different tire profiles John, I just thought two crosses and almost a foot of side links were an excessive amount

wrong chains

cheesegrader

I had a similar issue with chain size.  I think they sell 24" chains for 23-24" orders.

Had to take out one cross-link and about 7 links.

The quality was excellent.  Realy heavy duty, almost impossible to bend without a vise.

I'm really happy with them now, but the fit was crap, and it took a lot of work to get them just right.

There is no reason to fill 23" orders with 24" chains, but I am convinced that is what tirechains.com is doing.

WHX??
3 hours ago, jeff lary said:

Sorry to hear you had bad luck I feel a little responsible for that as you took my advice to buy at the same

No ...no biggy...what size/brand tires are you running?? I would order from them again if these hold up.

I think they'll be ok for home use. They were still cheaper than my local farm & barn supply and the ones there had China stamped all over them as well. They do say "one or more cross links may have to be removed for proper fitment" in their instructions.

I took my cores right out and let all the air out, made cinching easy. 10 psi later nice & tight ... just had to do it four times, again no biggy, core tool &  compressors are bought & paid for.

16 minutes ago, cheesegrader said:

There is no reason to fill 23" orders with 24" chains, but I am convinced that is what tirechains.com is doing.

These musta been 26" chains then Cheesy...I'm gonna go check...Vise you say? No way on these but some of my atv chains ya gotta have a jack hammer to open. They did  cover their butt again saying these are not harded and open easily with a cold chisel.

4 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Look at it this way, you have spare parts!

They keep this up John they is gonna screw themselves, I'll have enough to make another set and won't have to buy them!

jeff lary

My tires are original 1995 came on the tractor the tread is in good shape actually like new. They have never really been run on really, they have had chains on since 1995. I just replaced the original chain with these last week 31 years later . Chains much cheaper than tires I think. I did have to replace a front tire this year it was $ 75.00 for one little tire. I did not shop around I figured one small tire how much could it cost? I thought 30-40 bucks nope . I would need a home equity loan for a rear tire I think. Your chains were way too big or you are running very small tires I is one or the other. I lean towards wrong size chain. Have you gone back to your order to be sure you ordered the right ones? I know you know the right size but that size was in among others in a drop down choice box, maybe you clicked on the wrong size?? 

roadapples
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2015 at 6:03 PM, WHX6 said:

First time last Tuesday I blew snow with the new to me 520 and was quite obvious that I should get some chains although it wasn't the worst with out chains or weights. Question is will chains chew up the MIssus new very expensive blacktop driveway? I would love to get some v chains as that's what I have on the ATV and they bite awesome but fear they will.  I noticed in the new calendar @shallowwatersailor doesn't have chains on his dxi while blowing and wondered if maybe I should go with some ags and weight like he is running?  :thanks: for the links on where to buy and :text-imsorry: for the neck strain!!

20151229_172212[1].jpg

Might make a neat calendar picture right side up.

DennisThornton
On 1/2/2016 at 3:16 PM, jeff lary said:

I just had the mail man drop off my chains , I ordered them on Friday afternoon / evening wow talk about fast. They came in a priority mail box and inside that they are in a cotton bag. I thought I would show you a picture of the chain. Tomorrow I will put them on the horse. Today I had to change out a drive belt lots of fun with the blower cab on the tractor. The first photo is a little blurry but you can get the idea ok I suspect. They are very heavy and seem as well built as any chain I have ever used. Time will tell I guess.

Those are CHAINS!  If you are serious about getting around on ice and packed snow, that's what you want!

• Like 1

6.0 powerstroke

I bought the hd v-bar 2 link from tirechain.com , and if I remember, they were two cross links and maybe six inches too long as well-

thats after ordering for the specific size

• Like 1