chorusguy

bent trailer axle

chorusguy

Have a 5x10 trailer with a torsion axle that is bent.  I don't know the proper terms but the top of the tire is farther out than the bottom and I can see that the axle has a distinctive crown on it.  I also think that it toes in a bit as well.  So I saw on you tube that they can be straightened but can't find anyone nearby that can do it.  Is it true?  If so where would you take it?  Is it possible for me to straighten it myself?  I tried using a jack and a 4x4 and got it to bend some but the trailer finally lifted off the ground.  I think if I loaded it up I might be able to make some changes.  What about using a come along for the toe in?  Any suggestions?  It is really chewing up tires rapidly.  Thanks

stevasaurus

Here in Elgin we have a business called Elgin Spring.  They straighten axles, rebuild leaf springs, do front ends, etc.  You have to have a place like that around you.:handgestures-thumbupright:  We also have a few places that just deal with trailers and hitches.  These guys would probably want to put in a new axle.:eusa-think:  Don't know what kind of trailer you have there, but TSC does have new axles in their store.  :occasion-independenceday:

• Like 4

Martin

I cant see how bent your axle is, but if you look under any new trailer you will find that they build in a certain amount of bend in the axle. This is done so that when you load it up towards maximum weight, the axle runs straighter and tire wear is minimized because the wheels are now running 'vertical'. if the axle was straight (and the wheels vertical) when unladen and you loaded that sucker up to max, you would probably find that the wheels would be now running with a lot more camber (tilted in at top) and your tires would suffer with uneven wear.

• Like 4

chorusguy

I understand that.  But at this point it is wearing the outer half of the tire bald very quickly.  I usually don't carry too much of a load.  C160 ladders etc.  Occasionally a load of compost.  I suppose I will just have to get a new axle.  Wish I could weld

Martin

sounds to me that the toe in might be more of an issue here. scrubbing is going to wear that tire way quicker than the amount of camber (+ or -) from rotational wear only...... you would have to be putting crazy miles on it to wear out the edge with just camber being the issue. 

is the axle able to be rotated at all?

• Like 1

chorusguy

No rotation possible.  

stevasaurus

How about posting a few pictures of what you got there.  Did you just buy this trailer, hit something, lose something...something does not sound right.  :)  At this point, I am inclined to say to take it to a good trailer place and let them look at it.  Reason: you do not want something to happen on the road...especially to somebody else who is sharing the road with you.  This is one time you want to do things right.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

953 nut

Most good body shops have frame straightening machines to pull Uni-body cars into alignment after major collisions. They may be willing to give you a hand with the trailer.  

• Like 3

chorusguy

I did talk to one body shop.  $500 just to put it on the machine.  Will try to get some pictures

Edited by chorusguy
wrong word
  • Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Just like Martin said, it sounds like toe-in is the issue. The pros will use a trammel bar but somehow measure across the front and rear of the tires, and then compare your measurements. You probably want a slight amount of toe-in - but not toe-out as that would cause handling problems. If it is excessive you might be able to replace the spindle.

Axle manufacturers do not recommend bending an axle.

stevasaurus

Is there any history for this trailer that would help??  :)

chorusguy

Not really.  Homemade.  Bought on Craigslist. I haven't run it over a curb or hit anything with it.  The axle doesn't show any sign of major damage.  Maybe a slight dent on the bottom near the middle.  There is also some very slight damage near one of the spindles.  Good to know about the toe in.  Aside from wearing the outside of the tire the edges seems to be feathering some which sounds like toe in perhaps.  Frame of trailer is in good shape and appears to be straight.  Remember this is a torsion axle.  Hollow with rubber bands inside.

• Like 1

JPWH

From the damage you described it would be cheaper to replace the axle than to pay for parts and labor for the repairs needed.

• Like 3

can whlvr

I agree with hank

WNYPCRepair

Yes, you should be able to buy a replacement for way less than $500. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

shallowwatersailor