WNYPCRepair

Automatic tire chains

WNYPCRepair

I found this interesting. It's an automatic tire chain system. Hopefully, you can view it, it is a Facebook video

video

• Like 4

KC9KAS

We have had those on our fire trucks for years. Also on local school busses and ambulances.

An air cylinder pushes the wheel with chains onto the tire...the spinning of the tire slings the short lengths of chain under the tire.

They are good for starting you vehicle moving then release the cylinder to get them into road position.

They are much good for stopping though.

• Like 3

varosd

watch out kamikaze squirrels!!

• Like 1

Zeek
9 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

We have had those on our fire trucks for years. Also on local school busses and ambulances.

An air cylinder pushes the wheel with chains onto the tire...the spinning of the tire slings the short lengths of chain under the tire.

They are good for starting you vehicle moving then release the cylinder to get them into road position.

They are much good for stopping though.

:text-yeahthat: When you follow an ambulance, fire truck and some fuel oil trucks in our area you'll see them.  They have been around for years, but are kind of cool.  When you first look at them you think how the heck is that gonna work:scratchead:

• Like 2

WHX??

Never seen the likes of those before but really cool. In WI all chains & studs are illegal on roads now I wonder if those would be. Would think it would be great for off road as well

JC 1965

Wow  !!  I never seen those before. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.        :thumbs2:

Pullstart

Those are amazing!

DennisThornton

Only just recently did someone describe those to me!  Isn't that neat!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

It always seemed strange to me that in NY, where the weather gets bad, chains and studded tires are illegal.

WHX??

I guess they claim it rips up the roads too much. I don't think these would if they were used with some common sense. The way some people drive I guess that throws that idea out the window.

WNYPCRepair
7 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

I guess they claim it rips up the roads too much. I don't think these would if they were used with some common sense. The way some people drive I guess that throws that idea out the window.

That is their claim. But then I see other states, like Colorado, where it is illegal to be on the road without them during big storms

TDF5G

I discovered those several years ago when I worked at heavy duty truck sales lot.   They look strange mounted up under the rear axle.  Never did get to try them out though.  :(

TDF5G
14 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

It always seemed strange to me that in NY, where the weather gets bad, chains and studded tires are illegal.

Unless you're a fire engine!

• Like 1