JimD

forum

Ed Kennell

Hey Jay, I wonder if those party  phone lines would be legal today.  We were on a four party line in the forties  with each phone having a different ring. Of course you  knew by the ring which one your neighbors was getting a call.   It kept everyone informed as to what their neighbors were doing.   Also made it very easy to set up conference calls.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

We had those party lines at the relatives in rural Wisconsin when I was 16.  I worked for Illinois Bell, started in 1974...we wrecked the last "Iron Wire" and what we called "Crazy Wire" here around me in Illinois in the late 70's.  Managed to salvage a bunch of the old "10 Pin Arms" and glass insulators.  Brings back a ton of good memories.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

953 nut

The worst part I recall about the party line was the problem of attempting to call others on your party line. We had to call their number, let it ring and attempt to guess how many rings it would take for them to pick up, hang up before they answered then pick up again before they hung up. For the most part it was easier to walk down to their house!

As for the computers, the only reason I have 7 is because the hard drive on my XP laptop crashed and I had to replace it. Now I have to subscribe to windows every year, it came installed on the old one. I must admit it is a bit faster, but I wasn't in a hurry anyway. I had never heard about all of these "Chrome" problems, I went to it from Explorer based on what Karl had recommended and haven't had a problem.

• Like 3

roadapples

I can remember as a kid walking past the phone office and seeing the lady sitting there plugging in the wires when someone would ring. She would ask who you wanted to talk to then plug in their wire and ring for them. Fairfield isn`t very big today but then it was less than a thousand people and not all of them had phones so we only needed one operator. Still don`t have a red light.

• Like 3

JimD

What I find of most interest is the fact that this post about nothing generated more response than anything I might post with a real subject. Go figure!! :ROTF:

• Like 7

953 nut
22 minutes ago, JimD said:

What I find of most interest is the fact that this post about nothing generated more response than anything I might post with a real subject. Go figure!! :ROTF:

:text-goodpost:      we need more open ended topics, kind of like a real conversation, thanks for almost starting it.   :confusion-confused:

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:angry-nono:   :offtopic:

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:text-goodpost:      we need more open ended topics, kind of like a real conversation, thanks for almost starting it.   

One of my favorite forums is almost completely like this. It goes off topic all the time, just like real conversations.   Much more fun than rigid, dry forums

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 4

roadapples
1 hour ago, JimD said:

Yea, we kinda hijacked your post, sorry.  Hope nobody minds.

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

:offtopic:  How can that be....there never was a topic.    :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3

JimD
25 minutes ago, ekennell said:

:offtopic:  How can that be....there never was a topic.    :occasion-xmas:

That's what I was thinking Ed. Like hijacking a ghost flight over the Bermuda Triangle. :lol: Hey now, there's an open ended topic for ya. Thoughts anyone? :ROTF:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

LILYTOMLIN-OPERATORERNESTINE.jpg

We gotta keep this thread going......Luv those party line stories.

• Like 4

roadapples

That`s just about the way it was when I was a kid.

• Like 1

JPWH

When I was a kid we had a small farm in Colorado that used an irrigation ditch for watering. We had a party line and sometimes at 3:00 am I would hear the 3 rings. That usually meant moving siphon tubes every 12 hours for two or three days because you never knew when your turn for water would be up next.

The amount of tubes used was based on  how much they would open the gate.

The caller would say something like

" You have a 3/4 gate for 72 hours."

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, ekennell said:

LILYTOMLIN-OPERATORERNESTINE.jpg

We gotta keep this thread going......Luv those party line stories.

Instead of "one ringy dingy...two ringy dingy...maybe one wheely horsey...two wheely horsey...?":eusa-think:

• Like 4

stevasaurus

CAPTION THIS...  :)

Carnac.jpg

didn't work

Who said "Nothing" didn't work???   :occasion-santa:

953 nut

Maya Angelou, " Nothing will work unless You do".