Edited by JimD

WNYPCRepair

?

953 nut

:confusion-confused:          :huhs:

Ed Kennell

C'mon Jim.....we're waiting !

JC 1965

forum what forum   ?   Did I miss something.   :confusion-shrug:    :confusion-confused:

stevasaurus

CAPTION THIS...  :)

didn't work

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

HHHMMM...I see from his caption that JimD cites OSU as "Champions"...?

I grew up in Ann Arbor, where there is a certain big rodent (Wolverine) that used to eat buckeyes for breakfast on the football field. Now... them rodents just munch oatmeal with their dentures off...

:ychain:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

CAPTION THIS...  :)

Carnac.jpg

The GREAT CARNAC sees a Jimmy gotcha.

• Like 2

JimD

Ahh, just a little Christmystery. :lol:

Actually I was trying to post a youtube video with the pic in the post but I can't do that anymore with this stupid windows 10, and we don't seem to have the preview post feature any more either. At least I can't find it.  So I just deleted the link after seeing the pic didn't come up in the post. I knew I'd have trouble posting it that way and we no longer have the test forum so I just gave it a title to make the thread. Tried the "insert other media" thingy too but got nowhere with that. So ya, no funny, or interesting, or surprise exploding Santa clips or anything like that. Just an experiment trying to figure some stuff out that I used to be able to do and can't anymore. OH, here's a link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoBBC68rYxs

:ychain: Gotcha..

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Watchya sayin Jim ?   That I should ignore all these ads from Microsoft that want me to upgrade my good working Win 7 to a FREE  nonworking Win 10 .

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I don't think it is Windows 10, I can't seem to get a YouTube link to post properly either, and I am on a Mac

JimD
13 hours ago, ekennell said:

Watchya sayin Jim ?   That I should ignore all these ads from Microsoft that want me to upgrade my good working Win 7 to a FREE  nonworking Win 10 .

Well Ed, i wouldn't advise ya to wander off in either direction to be honest. I'm having some virus issues with this puter of mine so until I get those resolved I'm just muddling along here. I think 10 is a good system other than that. Although it recently auto updated which I didn't authorize and now I have to log back in every time I walk away for 10 or 15 minutes. That's a pita as far as I'm concerned. Gonna have to get some help wit this bugger I guess.

• Like 1

JC 1965

I've got windows 7 and I'm happy with it. I have been getting pop ups asking me to update to windows 10 but I don't want any part of it. Will it automatically update eventually without my permission ?    :confusion-shrug:     I sure hope not.     :bitch:

Ed Kennell

I guess for now, I'll stay with my 7. This is what my local tecky recommended when he cleaned up my puter several weeks ago.    He also got rid of google chrome and installed Mozilla/firefox.        He claims google is riddled with ads with high potential for virus that was causing all my problems. He removed over 400 infections and also installed C Cleaner and Malware protection.  Seems to be working well so far.  

My only concern is if the hardware dies and I have to buy new , I'll be stuck with Windows 10 and my learning curve is pretty flat. 

Mrs. K says " this old dog doesn't take instruction very well".

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 5

JC 1965

I hear ya, I'm still learning windows 7 and I sure don't want to start with something new if I don't have to. Maybe sounds crazy to you high tech guys but I was there when TV was introduced as the newest thing. Also started the tractor with a hand crank so hope you can see my point. I can still learn just takes a little longer.      :hide:

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
55 minutes ago, JC 1965 said:

I've got windows 7 and I'm happy with it. I have been getting pop ups asking me to update to windows 10 but I don't want any part of it. Will it automatically update eventually without my permission ?    :confusion-shrug:     I sure hope not.     :bitch:

Eventually, it well may. For now, turning off "install recommended updates automatically" seems to be stopping it, but Microsoft is getting extremely aggressive about pushing that update, whether you want it or not.

51 minutes ago, ekennell said:

I guess for now, I'll stay with my 7. This is what my local tecky recommended when he cleaned up my puter several weeks ago.    He also got rid of google chrome and installed Mozilla/firefox.        He claims google is riddled with ads with high potential for virus that was causing all my problems. He removed over 400 infections and also installed C Cleaner and Malware protection.  Seems to be working well so far.  

My only concern is if the hardware dies and I have to buy new , I'll be stuck with Windows 10 and my learning curve is pretty flat. 

Mrs. K says " this old dog doesn't take instruction very well".

I still use 7 as well, I like it way better than 10, and 8 is a piece of crap.I completely agree about Chrome too, every infected PC I see has Chrome on it, and usually infected files IN THE CHROME FOLDER. I also don't believe in add ons, extensions and tool bars, as they can be poorly written and become a means of infection.

Windows 7 is still available, you just have to search for it online, or build your own. I am still building custom PCs for businesses, because their software won't work with 8 or 10.

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

nylyon

Jim and all, feel free to use the talk to the moderators area for a test post. Only you and the mods can see, and we can remove it when done.

21 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I don't think it is Windows 10, I can't seem to get a YouTube link to post properly either, and I am on a Mac

All you should need to do is post the url. Start on a new line, paste the url, press enter once and it should render.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Here is a test.

OK, that one worked.

https://youtu.be/-NvkzanjmDM

And that one didn't

But the second one works in it's own post. But I have had some in their own post that just made a link, like the second one above. No idea why, and no rhyme or reason when it is or isn't going to work. I assumed it was something with the video settings

Can you tell I am considering another project? :) 

https://youtu.be/Ooi0iFTlrK8

Now that one didn't work, and it is the only video in the post.

Well, it was, until it merged my posts. I really dislike that feature

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I want my Windows 3.1 / DOS 6.2  :)

• Like 2

JimD
3 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

No, you have to download and install windows 10. It can't do it by itself so you're ok. :)

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, JimD said:

No, you have to download and install windows 10. It can't do it by itself so you're ok. :)

That has changed. It has installed on two of my PCs at two different customers. And I just read an article that Microsoft is now getting more aggressive and is going to start pushing it out unless you specifically turn it off. 

I don't mind 10 as much as 8, but my business customers have to stick with 7 for now. 

I know at least one tech who wrote a script to turn off that update (GWX) and once a week or so, Microsoft resets it, and he has to run the script again. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I want my Windows 3.1 / DOS 6.2 

Whaaaat.....you mean you aren't still using it.

• Like 1

stevasaurus
11 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Whaaaat.....you mean you aren't still using it.

Yes, I still have it on my old Tandy computer.  Sometimes I wonder how it would handle all this storage, speed and more then 16 megs of RAM.  :)  I still play the old DOS games on it

DennisThornton
29 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Yes, I still have it on my old Tandy computer.  Sometimes I wonder how it would handle all this storage, speed and more then 16 megs of RAM.  :)  I still play the old DOS games on it

Oh my!  I still have the original Compaq luggable somewhere and I think an old Commodore 128.  Now my smart phone has more everything than all three combined!  Smaller screen but more pixels!

• Like 1

roadapples
6 hours ago, JC 1965 said:

I hear ya, I'm still learning windows 7 and I sure don't want to start with something new if I don't have to. Maybe sounds crazy to you high tech guys but I was there when TV was introduced as the newest thing. Also started the tractor with a hand crank so hope you can see my point. I can still learn just takes a little longer.      :hide:

I can also remember when no one had a TV. I was 15 when we got a telephone, and it was a party line. You would hear a click and you knew the neighbors were listening in. Isn`t any wonder these `puters give me a fit.

• Like 3