Sign in to follow this  
KC9KAS

Aftermarket Voltage Regulator

KC9KAS

I recently purchased 2 aftermarket voltage regulators.

They were around $27 a piece shipped and arrived a few days later.

After installed, I checked them with my multi-meter, which by the way I am proficient at using.

I had to run the engine just about wide open to get (only) 11.85 VDC out of either of the regulators!

The company that I purchased them from wanted me to give them a good review on their Ebay site, but I told them I couldn't because of the 2 defective VR I purchased. They did send a UPS label for me to return the 2 VR and said I would get a refund. I guess they will send the refund after they get the parts back.

I don't know if I was just unlucky to get 2 units that didn't work, or all of their "Made in Taiwan" units are defective. But, I have learned a lesson the hard way...You get what you pay for!!

Oh, and I think for their review I will say, "Quick shipping to the customer." "Quick return label for returning defective parts"!  Maybe that isn't what they are looking for..

• Like 2

pfrederi

I have used a few non-Kohler regulators never had an issue...Just out of curiosity what AC reading do you get off the stator wire leads

KC9KAS

@pfrederiIf I remember correctly it was around 38 VDC

Edited by KC9KAS

DougC

I went through that with people wanting cheaper aftermarket ignition modules instead of the expensive GM modules. We would use them if they insisted but would not guarantee parts or labor if the cheapo module failed, which many did a short while later. They were not even packaged with any heat transfer grease which is crucial for the longevity of the module.

Yep, I agree......... You get what you pay for.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

pfrederi
17 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@pfrederiIf I remember correctly it was around 38 VDC

That should be enough.  Regulator was bad

WH nut

What voltage did you have on the B+ terminal at the regulator?

KC9KAS

@WH nut <12 VDC....11.85 in original post.

rmaynard

Be sure that the regulator is well grounded to the chassis. I always test the DC voltage at the battery with the engine running at 3600 RPM. Three components, the alternator (stator), regulator, and battery make up the charging system. At the battery, if you don't have 13.8 to 14.5 volts DC when running at full throttle, then I would suspect a regulator if you are in fact getting 38 VAC or more at the stator. Two new, "bad" regulators make me suspicious that it's not the regulators.

KC9KAS

@rmaynardI actually run a ground wire from the battery to the regulator to eliminate that possibility!

If the regulator is only producing 11.85 VDC, there can't me more than 11.85 VDC going to the battery!

rmaynard

The battery acts as a smoothing capacitor in the charging system. All I am saying is to try testing it at the battery.

• Like 1

WH nut
10 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

@WH nut <12 VDC....11.85 in original post.

You did say 11.85v, But you didn't say where you were taking the reading from.

KC9KAS

@WH nut From the B+ side of the regulator, and the regulator was grounded to the battery.

Edited by KC9KAS

WH nut
On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎54‎:‎23‎, KC9KAS said:

@WH nut From the B+ side of the regulator, and the regulator was grounded to the battery.

Just trying to determine if you had some voltage drop through some wires.