WNYPCRepair

How to mount a tire

tractorhogg

Any tire store charging more than 6-10 dollars to mount a tire is a rip-off and I would tell them they are thieves and leave. All major tire stores around me mount tires for zero to 5 bucks.

Brian01

Yeah if you buy the tire from them, most are pretty cheap, but if you just take tires to them , its usually a diff story

Edited by Brian01
  • Like 1

tractorhogg

Yeah if you buy the tire from them, most are pretty cheap, but if you just take tires to them , its usually a diff story

Nope, I have NEVER bought a tire for a GT from any brick and mortar tire dealer. I buy through eBay sellers I bring in my tires and old rims after I paint them and they put on the new tires and never leave a mark on the new paint, usually free, sometimes 5 bucks. This is a chain store, Tate Brothers, and they offer that deal to everyone else as well. What kind of guy charges 15-20 to mount a tire, that would be like paying 5 bucks for a stick of gum.

wallfish

The tire store chain up here,Town Fair Tire, wouldn't even mount my tires at all. Offered to pay them extra but if you don't buy the new tire from them, they won't mount new tires. BUT they will mount used tires for a fee. Ended up buying the large and small tire changers from HF so I can just do my own small tires.

P.S. I will never buy ANY tire from them and would rather pay more somewhere else. Spent over $1200 less than a week later on tires at another store for a Van and car.  So they actually ended up loosing money by doing business like that.

• Like 3

tractorhogg

The tire store chain up here,Town Fair Tire, wouldn't even mount my tires at all. Offered to pay them extra but if you don't buy the new tire from them, they won't mount new tires. BUT they will mount used tires for a fee. Ended up buying the large and small tire changers from HF so I can just do my own small tires.

P.S. I will never buy ANY tire from them and would rather pay more somewhere else. Spent over $1200 less than a week later on tires at another store for a Van and car.  So they actually ended up loosing money by doing business like that.

That is what we as consumers and customers MUST do. All to often though we give them our business anyway that is why we have lost so many jobs in America, not taking a stand against businesses. We are the customer with the cash, if they cannot get us to spend it with them, they will soon be broke, if we spend our money with them and they take advantage of us, we will soon be broke. I don't mind spending money having tires mounted especially when I spend the money I do to buy the good new tires, and I don't want my rims marked up. A new set of tires should last 20 years or more, so they are a good investment, but I don't explode my investment with flammable material to inflate them, I usually just use air. BTW, a tube is an easy way to get any tire to seat, they're less than 7 bucks around here. It really sounds like the cost of living is high in other places.

• Like 1

mikekot3

A professional hunter tire mounting and demounting machine for example is very expensive and are about 3500 dollars and a machine to road force balance a tire for a car or truck is about 12000 dollars. Plus the skilled labor to not scratch the fancy aluminum rims costs time and money. Yes everyone is looking for a fair price but remember that time and skill and equipment costs money. If you have no money and lots of time then that's another situation. Remember you have a job too and I would hope that others value your skills and time and investments in equipment also when they need what you have to offer.

• Like 3

fireman

The Harbor Freight tire changer has worked fine for me. It works far better if you bolt it down to the floor. I drilled my concrete floor in an area that I have enough room and installed threaded anchors. When I need to use the changer I move it out of where I store it and just bolt it down. I bought a container and lube brush just like they use at the tire shops and bought some of the actual tire soap. It actually works way better then dish detergent. When I'm all done I unbolt the changer from the floor and out it away. I haven't bought the small tire adapter for it yet but I will as soon as I see it on sale. If I have a tire that is giving me trouble getting the bead sealed I just use a ratchet strap. Lately I have been installing tubes in all my tires so that hasn't been a problem. Plus for the last 2 years I have had the keys to our mechanical division at work where I have access to a car lift, tire machine and a balancer so I haven't used my HF machine in a while!

Edited by fireman

WNYPCRepair
4 hours ago, mikekot3 said:

A professional hunter tire mounting and demounting machine for example is very expensive and are about 3500 dollars and a machine to road force balance a tire for a car or truck is about 12000 dollars. Plus the skilled labor to not scratch the fancy aluminum rims costs time and money. Yes everyone is looking for a fair price but remember that time and skill and equipment costs money. If you have no money and lots of time then that's another situation. Remember you have a job too and I would hope that others value your skills and time and investments in equipment also when they need what you have to offer.

Well said. 

I have a tester to certify the speed of computer data lines (ethernet). New, they cost $5K and up. Way up. I bought mine used, and still paid over $1K. I have companies that want me to certify cabling at $25/hr. I charge $75/hr for regular computer repair.

Time, expertise, vehicles, insurance (car and business), and equipment aren't free. And if you have employees, add workers comp to that. 

I had a customer that had a problem, I was around the corner, took 5 minutes to fix. I said no charge. They said, no, bill me an hour, I want you to be in business next time I need you. 

The other question is, if everyone around you is charging $20 a tire, how far will you drive to find someone to do it for $5? I found it simpler to do my own on equipment. If I buy vehicle tires, they mount them free. 

KC9KAS

I know where there WAS a truck tire shop.

They used the ether trick 1 too many times....The fire department couldn't save the building!!

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I have used either before when in a jam but thankfully my Son In Law takes care of these things for me. He is the Shop Manager at a auto repair and used car/truck sales business. I do stuff for him in return like getting his Husky 455 Rancher all tuned up and put a new Stihl chain on it today so he can take my daughter and grandkids to the Blue Ridge Mountains this weekend and cut us a few Christmas trees.