https://youtu.be/umD5R0hNkqU 

• Like 3

Brian01

That's how I always do it

WNYPCRepair

You use the ether?

DougC

I watched two guys try carb cleaner instead of ether once. They got a good fire going but that was about the extent of it.......... :lol:

DennisThornton

1 minute and 45 seconds total to mount two tires!  Pretty impressive!  

I'd like to see him remove two tires.

Brian01

You use the ether?

yyep, not all the time, just depends on how the tire is.

It doesn't always go as smooth as that guy makes it look...but is quick. Us hicks (lol) don't always wunna pay to have a tire mounted, when we can do it ourselves.

Matter of fact, my regular tire guy uses ether...he used it on my rear 6 12's when he mounted them.

mikekot3

Not very safe at all. On a vehicle tire you still need to balance the tire and wheel assembly. Why not just pay the cheap money for a professionally done job?

Brian01

Cheap money? Most tires mounted and balanced is around $15-25.

Why not do it yourself and save $15-25?

You can mount it yourself and tire shop will balance it for like 2 or $3. Sometimes free if your buddy's . lol

Oh and Its safe, if you know what you're doing. Don't take but a small squirt of ether, and keep your self outta the way...I mean common sense really.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

For anything that needs balancing, I would just have it done, but for equipment tires, I would consider it

Brian01

My thoughts exactly...that's what I'm saying you can mount them yourself  for vehicle or whatever, and have them balanced at the shop, if need be, still gonna save $$ and equipment tires n whatnot, just mount n go.

DennisThornton

I'm 15 minutes one way from anywhere.  Several things I can do in less time and be up and running again.  Saving money is great but not the only reason to do something myself!

• Like 3

PaulC

I was hoping this thread was going to be you using your harbor freight tire changer so I could see what its all about!

With the handful of tractor tires ive changed for myself the hard part is getting the tires on and off not seating the bead. Putting a ratchet strap around the center of the tire makes it pretty easy to seat a bead with just a good ole compressor. I guess that is still a bit more difficult and time consuming then a few shots of ether and a torch

WNYPCRepair

I was hoping this thread was going to be you using your harbor freight tire changer so I could see what its all about!

With the handful of tractor tires ive changed for myself the hard part is getting the tires on and off not seating the bead. Putting a ratchet strap around the center of the tire makes it pretty easy to seat a bead with just a good ole compressor. I guess that is still a bit more difficult and time consuming then a few shots of ether and a torch

That is how I have always done it too, but the ags I put on took a LOT of work to do it that way. 

The HF tire changer worked OK, it was probably easier than doing it completely by hand. 

Brian01

I use the ol ratchet strap way too sometimes. 

DennisThornton

That ratchet strap idea is a live saver!  But, no where near as exciting as what I'm going to use next!  I've seen too many vids and heard too many times about how cool it is to ether the tires on!  I'm going to try it next time!

• Like 1

rmaynard

My biggest problem is with those darned little 4" hubs on my pressure washer and grandkids Yerf-Dog. Going to have to try the ether method.

can whlvr

I did the tires on my skid steere,by hand,it was very hard but I saved some bucks and learned a lot,get the tire shop to do these type of tires

mikekot3

The HF small tire changer is a piece of Schmidt. It worked kinda but it was so crappy welded and made me like I wasted my money and I felt ripped off for even having to use it. I have used professional tire machines made by Hunter when I was a professional mechanic. The HF unit is so clunky to operate and is not well designed.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

The HF small tire changer is a piece of Schmidt. It worked kinda but it was so crappy welded and made me like I wasted my money and I felt ripped off for even having to use it. I have used professional tire machines made by Hunter when I was a professional mechanic. The HF unit is so clunky to operate and is not well designed.

If you are expecting professional quality for $30, yes, you will definitely be disappointed. At $20 a tire here if I take it to my local repair shop, it paid for itself the first time I used it, and made it a little easier than doing it by hand. I feel like I got my $30 worth. As long as it keeps working, I am ahead $20 every tire. :)

• Like 1

tractorhogg

This isn't a apples to apples comparison, those are old raggedy 14 inch tires on a decently wide rim. Let him try that on a new set of tires like a set of 6-12 AGs with a 5 inch rim, bet he couldn't even get the tire on let alone "blow it up". I pay 200.00 plus for a set of rear tires, sometimes 300.00 I would never "blow up" my investment like that. It is unsafe, no matter how many people say otherwise. I see your point though, if you are installing a set of 30 year old US MayPops that you got for free or 5 dollars, why would you spend money having them mounted, well unless you didn't want your face burnt off.:lol:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

This isn't a apples to apples comparison, those are old raggedy 14 inch tires on a decently wide rim. Let him try that on a new set of tires like a set of 6-12 AGs with a 5 inch rim, bet he couldn't even get the tire on let alone "blow it up". I pay 200.00 plus for a set of rear tires, sometimes 300.00 I would never "blow up" my investment like that. It is unsafe, no matter how many people say otherwise. I see your point though, if you are installing a set of 30 year old US MayPops that you got for free or 5 dollars, why would you spend money having them mounted, well unless you didn't want your face burnt off.:lol:

LOL

I agree, he wouldn't have slammed the ags I just mounted on the rims like that either.

I have a walk behind tiller that spins the bead loose all the time. I figured I might try the ether on it. If I can pop it back on without strapping it and fighting to get it to seat, might be worth it. On the other hand if I had a large enough flow compressor, I could probably seat them easier

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

Brian01

No it can't be done with most New tires, unless you have a tire machine, because the rubber isnt Limber enough. All the ether does is expands the rubber, making it flex and seal the bead. You take a new stiff as Sh!% tire and try putting it on a wider rim, with out using either ether or a ratchet strap...9 times out of 10, you're gonna be cussing cause it won't take air.

• Like 1

TDF5G

The smaller they are, the harder they are also.  A little lubrication on the bead, like some dish soap helps too.

DougC

I always end up with the new tires that have been on the bottom of the stack............. Never any fun to seat the bead. If I tried ether and spun around backwards like the guy in the video they would probably  have to surgically remove the wheel and tire from my a**.         :lol:

• Like 2

Brian01

9 times outta 10 you get the bottom of the stack

• Like 1