WHX??

South of the Border Rustle

WHX??

Got myself a RS birtday present...this 520H in northern IL today. The guy had it listed in for sale here so finally got the chance to go see him and make an offer. Over all its in real good shape. 670 hrs on the 220 Onan. Kinda dirty but looks like it will clean up nice. Came with a 48inch deck, blower, tiller, peco bagger vac with a 5 hp Briggs and a cute little generator which the PO never used.  All I  decent shape as well cept for the Briggs needs a new head gasket. Will get some more pics in the tomorrow  in as it was dark out when I got home. I'll be pumping you guys for a lot of info on 520's in general and Onan's as this is my first.

20151114_180056.jpg

20151114_180125.jpg

20151114_180041.jpg

20151114_180134.jpg

20151114_180110.jpg

Anybody got any info on this little guy I'm  all ears...the brackets are not home made and look like they go with it and attach to the front somehow. Didn't  have time to dick with it yet. Thinking it might be handy out in the deer woods building stands.

20151114_180202.jpg

20151114_180212.jpg

20151114_180221.jpg

20151114_180247.jpg

• Like 6

953 nut
:text-coolphotos:              Nice find; happy birthday to you! :occasion-birthdaymulticolor:  Looks like the generator bracket would hang from the front tach-amatic where the mule drive attaches.  :woohoo:

Wishin4a416

You hit the Jackpot with all those accessories. Looks good. Clean looking tractor.

DennisThornton

Very nice indeed!  If I had found that I could have checked off a few things on my want list!  6 things as I count!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Happy birthday, nice gift. Sometimes I really want another one. A great machine and Matts pedal kit is the icing on your cake, best of luck.

Glenn

Wheel-N-It
Whoaaa Baby!!! Now thats a real Red Square Birthday Present !!! I really like that! :D
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Your definition of "kinda dirty" and mine are a bit different...:ychain:

Nice looking tractor!

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

Nice looking tractor!

I was thinking the same thing. Hope he never sees mine.  :)

• Like 4

gsummers

Dirty, that one looks almost new, you don`t want to see pics of the ones I have bought!!!!!

608KEB

She looks clean!! A little elbowing and you'll have her shined up nice!B)

Edited by 608KEB
  • Like 1

Brian01

That thing is filthy! :laughing-rofl:

Looks like its ready to go to the show to me!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Shynon

Very nice, looks like the horse bug has bitten you.

• Like 1

WHX??

Nice looking tractor!

I was thinking the same thing. Hope he never sees mine.  :)

Ok Ok .. I'm a little anal...OkOk alot anal! Lots of clippings packed around the hydro. I try to hose off  my horses after mowing so the dirt doesn't build up. This tractor really does't have the grease and oil build up I have seen.

I am going to change the all the fluids  because I don't know when it was done last. I plan to use the same 10w-30 in the hydro as in the Onan. Can a synthetic oil be run ok in these hydros? Also if any body has filter recommendations. The hydro has a fram on it now and read here that the right filter needs to used.

c-series don

I'm not sure but that generator may have to spin a certain direction? Someone else here will know that. You will like that Peco vac, I have one with an 8 hp and it works great. Great find, sounds like a guy like you will take proper care of that baby!!!

MalMac

Yes you can use synthetic in the transmission. I have found that Mobile 1 works best in mine. It also helps with the cold weather delay that is inherent in the transmission used on the 520. Also get that Fram filter off of there and put on a Wix or NAPA Gold. Good luck on a very nice find.

• Like 3

WHX??

I'm not sure but that generator may have to spin a certain direction? Someone else here will know that. You will like that Peco vac, I have one with an 8 hp and it works great. Great find, sounds like a guy like you will take proper care of that baby!!!

Thanks Don, actually was thinking about selling the peco as I really dont have a use for it and already have a WH bagger. Selling it would help offset the price of the tractor.

Yes you can use synthetic in the transmission. I have found that Mobile 1 works best in mine. It also helps with the cold weather delay that is inherent in the transmission used on the 520. Also get that Fram filter off of there and put on a Wix or NAPA Gold. Good luck on a very nice find.

Have you got the Napa PN for the filters Mal? I know a few others here said that about the Fram.  I have a couple of cases of Citgo syn. oil that I use in my ATV's & would be nice to use the same oil in all my engines. I do get the Mobile when it comes on sale.

shallowwatersailor

Use the NAPA 1410 for the Eaton. I buy the Mobil 1 in the five gallon jug and fill the filter half way before installing it. I also leave it a little loose to allow the air to escape until it leaks. That way only the last quart has to be spoon fed.

I also think that the Onan uses straight-weight 30W, not a multi-grade.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Don is correct in that generator has to rotate the correct direction.  I see it was made by GENERAC. Their still in business in a big way. The new large  backup generators at my work are GENERAC brand. They have a website . 

• Like 1

DougC

You keep finding deals like that, you're gonna need a bigger trailer to haul it all home on..............:)

cheesegrader

NIce score.  I saw that one, and liked the look of the tractor.
Pretty clean, looks garage kept and well maintained.
I have Matt's hydro pedal on two of my 520's.  I love it.
I don't know if it will fit with the tiller idler pulley attachment.
I'm a few hours north, where it is ALWAYS colder.  I run Amsoil 10-30 in my hydros.  I replace it every 100 hours, but not every year.
O'Reilley 10-30 synthetic (Mobil-1 re-labeled) in the engine in winter.
In the summer, I might run 30W, but winter is just too brutal, and the synthetics make a big difference in warm-up time.
I hope it helps with wear.  I think it does, but I can't prove it yet.
TORO hydro filter is 108335 or 79-5270
Wix 51410, NAPA 1410
There is a finer, 10 micron version Wix 57102, but I have no experience with it.
I have learned to replace all the Phillips screws on the rockshaft covers with stainless button head bolts.  The screws strip at the worst times.
I also vent the drive belt covers to  get more air across the rear cylinder.
You will love that 520!

• Like 2

WHX??

Thanks guys ya the motion lever has gotta go very jerky and I ain't takin the kind ya eat! Bad news is the throttle  cable broke today ...end snapped off at the control so begins  the repair. Did get to till  the garden for winter and the asparagus patch. Will have  to look into Matt's pedal...if it works I could see an issue with the tiller. Lubing the motion  control lever will help but I  just ain't big on reaching under the wheel like that. Same thing as my 246H.

thanks for the info on the filters Cheesey, did you call this guy on it ...he mentioned something about a guy from MI UP that might come look at it.
...straight 30 weight when its 10 below and time to blow???:confusion-shrug:

Had a 20' 10,000 lb enclosed trailer tied to a one ton pickup Doug...plenty of room with room to spare case another horse jumped out on the way home  :lol:

20151115_094344.jpg

• Like 1

WHX??

Rockshaft covers & venting??? I'm lost there ...pics??? 

Thing idled at 2 k took me a little to figure wher the adjust is but got it.....anybody got a decent source at a decent price for the air filters?? This one is nasty. Also clue me in on that HP gauge is all about??? When I first hopped on I thought it was an oil pressure gauge...i got alot to learn..getting a new horse is alot like a woman... gotta play with it to learn how it operates!!:D

• Like 2

WHX??
@608KEB you still got that tall chute and would it fit this?

Don is correct in that generator has to rotate the correct direction.  I see it was made by GENERAC. Their still in business in a big way. The new large  backup generators at my work are GENERAC brand. They have a website . 

I hear ya Oliver...not a big Generac fan... got boned by them...twice!!

WNYPCRepair

Bad news is the throttle  cable broke today ...end snapped off at the control so begins  the repair.

Mine broke, so I did an emergency repair until I could replace it. Then it worked so well, I just left it. 

Bent the end of the cable 90 degrees, inserted through the throttle lever, made another 90 degree bend, looks and works just like factory. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Tried that Repair...thats what the PO's did but now it's beyond that...any idea where an IPL might be for a '91 520? Looking now but not having much luck