JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

SELLING WHEEL HORSE STUFF !

bmsgaffer

While agree with some of your thoughts, it would prevent a TON of 'one and done' sellers from which many people get really good deals... 

• Like 6

WNYPCRepair

Both good points

Maybe a 30 day option for say, $5, and require it to sell something. Then at least you would get pictures, and if they are "one and done" and don't see the value in the forums, when the 30 days is up, the pictures go away, which is fine, since the item either sold or no one was interested.

Anyone that owns a WH should seriously consider a regular support account though, it will pay for itself in no time.

• Like 6

Brian01

Bravo! Here, Here!! In case I didn't make my self clear , great points and I AGREE.

• Like 5

DennisThornton

Now that I have folks attention on this subject. I think you should have to be a supporter to sell. Why? A 20 dollar bill is a cheap price to pay, helps support this great site and also makes it way easier on the seller to. Load pictures to your hearts content. Simplifies that picture loading ordeal. Nothing sells things like pictures. How many times over and over have folks had problems.. plenty.  Also over the few years I have been here, people show up just to sell something,,,then,,,gone. Never to be heard from till they find something else to sell. When I am looking to buy,,desecriptions are ok, but I want pictures to. One picture is worth a thousand words.

Not meaning to start a brawl here either, just voicing my thoughts on the simple ideas of using red square to sell things. Its a 2 way street and benfits seller, buyer and the website. And these comments are my humble opinion only on this subject. 

Hadn't thought about that but now that you have my "attention", I suppose...  If there are folks that only visit to sell and contribute nothing else, maybe that makes sense.  At least they would pay something for the service before they left.  However I remember very well not having 20 bucks, and honestly, that has happened more than once in my life, and too recently to be forgotten!  Just wouldn't want anyone who really couldn't afford it to suffer anymore than they already are...  Maybe that's a tad silly, and maybe more take advantage of this site than I suspect, if indeed that is taking advantage, not sure...  On the other hand, I do think there should be some things that should trigger becoming a Supporter and perhaps that could/should be one of them.  Maybe an entry level "Junior Supporter" for $10 or a donation of any amount.  Honestly, this site is basically invaluable to a Wheel Horse devotee, but should we have a $100 Supporter level?  $500 Supporter?  $1000 Supporter?  I think we could/would have a few of each!  I can't afford to join the top levels so I'm not volunteering to become an advanced member, but honestly, I've gotten more than my money's worth and I'm not quite up for renewal yet!  :thanks:.  It is too bad that someone might just offer something for sale and not hang around long enough to get a chance to experience the camaraderie, genuine good will laced knowledge this site offers everyday!  I suppose it boils down to what the purpose of this site is and what it costs to achieve that.  I think I have a clue about one side but I'm clueless about the other side.  What does it cost?  Are more funds needed?  Could even more be done with more $$$?  Don't know!  But I can tell you one thing, this is a great site because of all the folks that contribute much more than just the money!  Not just the forum, the Admin or the Moderators!  Not just the Member's help!  There's a lot more going on here!  There's a synergy!  Something special here that just works!  I almost hesitate to change a thing!

And to quote another great Supporter, "... these comments are my humble opinion only on this subject. "

• Like 9

slammer302

Its a hard call to make it does kinda stink seeing stuff for sale with out pics or someone join just to put something up for sale but i'm sure some members have benefited from some of these sales. Their is also a chance you may scare people away buy charging money for forum classifieds use. i know i used the forum for along time before becoming a supporter and who knows i may fall on hard times and might not be able to pay for supporter membership in the future.      

• Like 5

Brian01

Good point...can I borrow $20 Barry? lol joking.

That's is true though, i used the site for quite awhile before I was able to contribute.

• Like 1

bob's toy

I feel if you like the sight and use it you should support it. However, even with out a picture from a 'here today gone tomorrow' that part he is selling could be just the thing you've been looking for.. I for one have gotten so much from this sight and have tried to join but it won't take my money for some reason. Sent in a message to get it resolved but no response..I would like to share my experience restoring my 1267 with pictures. I see a lot of GREAT looking machines and boy, do I have a lot to learn. Thank you all for being here. 

• Like 1

DougC

When I first joined it took me a few days to get familiar with the site and get comfortable talking to the members.Then it was clear to me that I had already gotten my $20 worth so I joined up and now I won't shut up...........:lol:   I would also like Red Square hats to be available for supporters  only to purchase....... Just a thought. None of us wants the forum to fall on hard times for any reason........

Hey Glenn............. Got any wenches for sale...............:lol: 

• Like 4

Brian01

I first joined up and now I won't shut up...........   

:lol: Me Too!!

• Like 3

JimD

I feel if you like the sight and use it you should support it. However, even with out a picture from a 'here today gone tomorrow' that part he is selling could be just the thing you've been looking for.. I for one have gotten so much from this sight and have tried to join but it won't take my money for some reason. Sent in a message to get it resolved but no response..I would like to share my experience restoring my 1267 with pictures. I see a lot of GREAT looking machines and boy, do I have a lot to learn. Thank you all for being here. 

Try posting your message in the "Talk to the Moderators" forum. I'm sure it will get attention there. Karl said one time that he doesn't answer pm's because he gets too many to be able to keep up, so things like this should be posted in the "Site Suggestions" forum also. A couple more ways to go to help you. Good luck! :)

Edited by JimD
  • Like 2

rjg854

Once I found this site and realized what I could glean from so many other members experiences, I couldn't wait to join and become a supporter.  I believe in just the short while I've been here, I've more than got my fee's worth.  This forum and people are priceless.  I just hope one day as I learn more and more, I too can also pass on the knowledge I've learned.

• Like 4

USHorse

How many one timer sellers would be turned off by paying a fee or even having to take extra steps to sell?   Their part or item for sale may stay on the shelf or worse end up in the trash.  It is a double edge sword.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I believe this has come up before, and I bet Karl is going to say basically the same thing.  We do get a lot of one time users, but the site is set up to let people lurk and see what this site is all about.  I've seen women come on here to ask what something is worth and want to sell something because their husband passed away.  I would like to think that they always get a fair shake from the people on this site.  Those are the kind of things you would be tampering with by charging people to sell...do you want to charge people who want to trade or buy also...I don't think so.  Do you want to charge to download manuals, pictures, videos???  I don't think that is what we are about.  We pride ourselves on the people here who offer information and their time freely.  There is a reason why we get a lot of people who come in here and look for a while before they join...not another site like this one on the net.  :eusa-think:
The other issue is just this...KISS...Keep It Simple Stevasaurus.  :)

My thinking wasn't about making money, but encouraging pictures. Maybe bump the allowed picture storage a bit so one timers can at least upload pictures of their stuff for sale?

stevasaurus

I'm confused Brian.  You need to be a member to post on this site, but you do not have to be a Supporter to post or include pictures.  :)

• Like 1

squonk

I think what Brian is getting too is the fact as a supporter, you have much more picture storage capability here than a regular member. That really doesn't apply to a one time user though. Any way this site is the Cat's Bee-Hind. Much better than that other site where you have to be a member just to SEE pics. :)

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

I'm confused Brian.  You need to be a member to post on this site, but you do not have to be a Supporter to post or include pictures.  :)

Agreed, but non members apparently have severe limits on uploading pictures. Many times I see a for sale ad that says the poster is having trouble uploading pictures because they are too big, or no storage left, etc. I understand why there are limits, hosting sites aren't free. :)

So that is why I mentioned a $5/30 day support option.

stevasaurus

I understand what you are saying.  The large file is usually a cell phone issue...digital cameras don't do that (I think), but all any member has to do is upload their pictures to a place like Photobucket and then use the IMG link into Red Square.  Boom-Sha-Ka-La-Ka!!  :)

• Like 1

953 nut
:twocents-02cents:   Reading this I am reminded of a recent one timer who had a couple of RJs from his dad and uncle to sell. As a result one of our members got a terrific deal and the seller shared some very nice family photos and a home movie of one of the RJs in action. We all benefited by his brief visit to the site and we should have paid him for sharing these priceless mementos. This site is good enough that those of us who are addicted to :wh: will continue to support it and we should welcome everyone who shares our interest, even if it is only to offer us the opportunity to buy more.
  • Like 7

mikekot3

I became a supporter yesterday. Thanks to everyone's advise. I have helped others on here also.

• Like 4

squonk

I understand what you are saying.  The large file is usually a cell phone issue...digital cameras don't do that (I think), but all any member has to do is upload their pictures to a place like Photobucket and then use the IMG link into Red Square.  Boom-Sha-Ka-La-Ka!!  :)

I have tried that. For some reason I can't get any of my pics on photobucket to appear here unless I email the pic to myself and put it on my desktop. I copy the img and try to insert it using the "insert other media" button. Is that incorrect? All I see on the post is URL

nylyon

It should JUST be the URL, not the IMG and URL.  No BBCode formatting required.

Screen_Shot_2015-11-08_at_9.15.28_AM.thu