Sparky

Whats my HP??

Sparky

Picked a new (used 2009) Ariens snow-blower this past weekend with a Briggs motor. Can anyone tell me what the HP is? Or what the formula is to calculate it?
  Says 205CC and 9.00Ft pounds of gross torque.

Ariens_blower_006.thumb.JPG.b8e1e2fa2411
Ariens_blower_014.thumb.JPG.2f0867b7c256

Thanks!
Mike...........

Ed Kennell

Looks like a shade under 9HP to me Mike.

Sparky

How did ya calculate it?
Mike.........

Sparky

Oh brother....I'm not to happy to hear its that low.
I'm hoping it moves snow and doesn't quit when the going gets tough!
Mike.......

Ed Kennell

Sorry Mike, I was not converting cc to cu in correctly.    I was using the Kohler  engine spec displacement info which averages out to 2.3 cu in /1 HP.  in the 4-7 HP range.
Using this method, your 205 cc /2.54^3/ cu in =12.51 cu in       12.51cu I n /2.3 cu in/ 1HP  =  5.44 HP        This of course is assuming the Kohler HP ratings are accurate.
Not sure which method is more accurate, but using  Brians  32.5cc =1HP,  a  10 HP K241 with 23.85 cu in or 390.8 cc displacement equates to 12 HP not 10.

Bottom line....5.5  to 6.5  HP   would be close.

WNYPCRepair

Sorry Mike, I was not converting cc to cu in correctly.    I was using the Kohler  engine spec displacement info which averages out to 2.3 cu in /1 HP.  in the 4-7 HP range.
Using this method, your 205 cc /2.54^3/ cu in =12.51 cu in       12.51cu I n /2.3 cu in/ 1HP  =  5.44 HP        This of course is assuming the Kohler HP ratings are accurate.
Not sure which method is more accurate, but using  Brians  32.5cc =1HP,  a  10 HP K241 with 23.85 cu in or 390.8 cc displacement equates to 12 HP not 10.

Bottom line....5.5  to 6.5  HP   would be close.

The formulas I posted work on the engines at Harbor freight and some Kohlers, but not on my Onan. 

I found this, which may help explain it:

http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/2thx1-considering-ariens-snowblower-205-cc-biggs.html#re.v/149/ 

Even better:

http://movingsnow.com/2008/cc-to-torque-to-hp-conversion-update/ 

Sparky

Well I'm very disappointed to find out that its that low in HP. I had just assumed that it was around 8hp since its a 24" wide blower.
Thanks for all the info guys.
Mike............

Ken B

Well I'm very disappointed to find out that its that low in HP. I had just assumed that it was around 8hp since its a 24" wide blower.
Thanks for all the info guys.
Mike............

Better bring that trinket back Mike! :ychain: It probably won't be too bad..... I really wish they would stop beating around the bush on hp ratings and just list it on the engine in big old numbers like they used to! Make sure that you check the oil fill caps each time that you use the machine, they have been known to loosen up, fall out and puke all of the oil out. This happened to a guy at work while he was using his newish Cub Cadet blower at night. He didn't know the cap fell out puking every ounce of oil until the engine seized! He said the oil was real clean which is why he didn't notice, and he said he checked the caps and dipstick for tightness before each use. You didn't get rid of your old school walk behind did you?

Sparky

Nope...I still have my 38 year old Gilson ready to go! I only bought this one because I'm always wondering when the Gilson may crap out or some NLA part will break and then I'm without a blower (don't have a WH blower attachment either).
Mike..........

Ken B

I wouldn't worry too much, at the end of the day I think you will be pretty happy with it, I'd be willing to bet it will throw the snow farther than the Gibson... 

953 nut

A few years ago there was a class action lay suit brought against Briggs and a few others regarding misrepresentation of horse power; since then they have only been referring to displacement.

fast88pu

Its a 6.5 hp and you won't have any problem throwing the snow with that

SylvanLakeWH

According to this site, 6.3

http://www3.telus.net/shebang/engine_cc_to_hp_calculator.html 

1 HP = 32.5 CCs

Tork x 70% gives the same, 6.3.

9 * .7 = 6.3

Math!!! Moderators - can we please ban math from the forum...my head hurts.

• Like 1

Ken B

Just another fine example of how greed has a way of changing everything, lawyers and law suits. Anyway, horse power is the only rating I'm interested in. Its just sounds so damn silly to tell someone hey I got a new 12.5 torque snow blower. The question will always be. oh golly gee that is just swell but how many horse power is it? 
I just bought a new Ariens snow blower that I will use at work. It has the 12 5 torque rating. This is a fairly large 28 inch snow blower and that engine looks dinky on there. It doesn't feel like it has much balls either.. The recoil on the engine says Ariens on it, most consumers will probably think that is just dandy but what they don't know is that it is a Lifan made in China engine. The next round of lawsuits will be that these units say Made in the U.S.A. all over them, what a crock... 
The GOOD news is that I was able to take the old Ariens ST 10/28 snow blower home. Now, this bad boy rocks with that old flat head 10 hp Made in the USA Techy on there she throws the snow an EASY 50 feet. I actually prefer to use a snow blower at my house, a tractor just digs my yard up and makes a mess. WET HEAVY snow is no problem for this blower. I have used it on the wettest snow you can imagine here at work, using ice melt on the sidewalks and then getting a surprise snow storm over night will do that... I've never had an issue where it wouldn't throw the snow.... It this blower can't throw it then a tractor ain't gonna push it.

• Like 1

953 nut

Acording to this on-line calculator @ 3600 RPMs a 12.5 Torque equils 8.57 HP, sounds like Ken got the stronger of the two, and the price was right too.          :woohoo:  http://www.1728.org/mtrtrq.htm