kiotiken

Here we go again.. Leaves

kiotiken

next year let us members know and we will bring the weinies and marshmallows to the bonfire

I would love to have a meet out here. I have some sandy loam ground for easy plowing if that's what folks want. I have a camping area with running hot water and shower. Sorry but only a porta potty as my in ground septic tank can't handle a lot. A mile of trails for golf carts four wheeler's or what ever.Camp fire or bon fire.Some electricity

WNYPCRepair

That beats anything I ever saw for the job. WOW

glenn

The machine sure saves the wife and I a lot of time and hard azz work.The trac vac I used to have was a nice machine but just too small for my yard and we still had to pick up sticks before we could trac vac.One season the wife picked up 125 loads with it. I can now pick up about 35/40 loads but that includes sticks,limbs,acorns and squirrels if they get in the way. Bad part is the wife won't run it.LOL

:ROTF:

I miss burning leaves.  Growing up, we burned them every year.  Now we're not permitted....bleepin' government.
Miss the smoke, smell, sound.

One caution though...never try to light a pile of wet leaves with a coffee can of gasoline.  It just doesn't work too well and afterwards, you have to rake the area again!  WOOF!
Your eyebrows do grow back though.

Sounds like how I light a bonfire, LOL! I pour about a quart of gas on, pour a trail of gas 10 feet or so away from the pile, pour some on a stick, light the stick and toss it at the trail and RUN for my life! Once the neighbors yelled over to ask if we were OK.  :)

• Like 3

cleat

To light a brush pile I use some old motor oil mixed with just a bit of gasoline.

Works well and gets rid of some old oil.

• Like 2

RedRanger

To light a brush pile I use some old motor oil mixed with just a bit of gasoline.

Works well and gets rid of some old oil.

That's how I do it now.  :text-yeahthat:
Used oil burns slower and allows the pile to catch better.  Diesel and kerosene also work well.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Dryer lint lightly stuffed in toilet paper tubes. Easy fire starters.

• Like 3

953 nut
:eusa-think:    Am I the only one here that composts leaves, clippings and kitchen waste?    :scratchead:
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I compost the leaves all the time . I start picking them up about mid November and finally finish in January. Only have about 3/4 acre but a boat load of trees. Had too take down a white oak this year due to a lighting strike, one of the smaller trees , 27 inches  at the stomp. Stomp is about 24 inches high.
I have an enclosure for the leaves. Mow them up , pick up with vacuum wagon which cuts them up finer and finally push into enclosure with snow plow and the then turn over with rototiller. Makes real nice dirt in a couple of years.     

• Like 3

c-series don

Ahh, the lost art of burning leaves! I remember it well. Too bad people with no common sense ruined that by burning on dry windy days.

• Like 2

kiotiken

We're suppose to get and I always do a burning permit. Cover my but. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AMC RULES
Compost the leaves, kitchen, organic waste here too Richard... 
turned once or twice, they return to earth within the year.  
:handgestures-thumbupright:
  • Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I just mow mine up in place until they are tiny pieces. 

This year, I hope to compost them in a pile. I have a giant pile of mulch turning into dirt along the street where they filled my ditch in. By spring, I hope it has already turned to dirt, but it may take 2 years, it is about 16" deep.

• Like 3

kiotiken

Was back on leaf pick up duty again today and hopefully got a video of the sweeper in action. Beautiful fall day in mid Michigan.My neighbor came over and helped me pick some up with his sweeper.Yup he seen mine and said he had to have one. Found one at a golf course auction and picked it up.We picked up 15 loads in about 3 1/2 hours.
 I had the wife out with the blower going around the trees and other places that the sweeper can't get into.
 P.S. don't pay attention to the color of his tractor.

2015-10-25_19.19.44.mp4

2015-10-25 15.10.25.jpg

2015-10-25 15.18.54.jpg

2015-10-25 15.31.11.jpg

2015-10-25 15.43.44.jpg

2015-10-25 16.35.03.jpg

• Like 6

AMC RULES
Now that's...   :orcs-cheers:
a cool John Deere.
:handgestures-thumbsup:  

bmsgaffer

I couldnt get the video to play. Any chance you could upload it to youtube? :confusion-shrug:

kiotiken

I posted the video on youtube.I'm trying to get the link to upload.Seems to take forever.If you would like to see the sweeper in action look up Jacobsen 720e on you tube.

• Like 2

HorseFixer

WoW that's a leaf picker upper from HELL!   :handgestures-thumbupright:   Yep I know what ya mean Ya can't have too much machinery when trying to save yer back from all da work! Looks like it does a good job! Ill hafta stick with my CRAPMAN as about six swipes across the yard with that beast and my yard would be clean! :D Nice Machine.

~Duke

• Like 1

spark949

I wish I had room to store a  big leaf sweeper. But for now I use a backpack and push blower to move them down to the woods.  I have a lot of trees so I have to move the leaves at least three times or they are knee deep. Still the piles get so big that I can't move them anymore with the blowers so I do this. Works pretty good, gets the piles down to the wood line and then It's easy to blow them in. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

kiotiken

Picked up another 15 loads of leaves today. What a gorgeous day in mid Michigan.74 degrees Nov.3rd. I get so many leaves I have to burn a lot of the leaves. So here is a video of the GT1848 tending the burn pile. When I panned to the left that is the garden that I dumped a bunch of leaves on to burn. I had blight problem this year and friend suggested burning so why not.
  Oh and I wish I had a better video. Was really hard running the controls and filming.lol   2015-11-03 22.00.10.mp4

2015-11-03_22.00.10.mp4

.picasa.ini

Edited by kiotiken
video

WNYPCRepair

I just mow mine up in place until they are tiny pieces. 

This year, I hope to compost them in a pile. I have a giant pile of mulch turning into dirt along the street where they filled my ditch in. By spring, I hope it has already turned to dirt, but it may take 2 years, it is about 16" deep.

I was using a pitchfork to turn the composting mulch today, and it may be dirt by spring! It's nice and black already. 

compost_mulch.thumb.JPG.b3c234edc9925764

• Like 2

semper5

That leaf gatherer is a beast, more impressive to see it in action!

• Like 1