bmsgaffer

Craigslist - Oh Boy

bmsgaffer

Found this on Craigslist today, ready to hook my trailer up... then I clicked that "contact info" button  :eusa-doh:and what I found posted below...

2015-10-12_15_57_14-2006_John_Deere_2305

While not ALWAYS true, most of the time the old adage is correct: when it seems too good to be true...   :deadhorse:

Edited by bmsgaffer

Michaelzz28

FOUND THE SAME EXACT TRACTOR ON EBAY
GOTA WHATCH THESE SCAMMERS THEY ARE EVERY WHERE

Wishin4a416

They are big on the Toyota trucks in my area. 3 year old trucks for 9 grand. The ad disappears pretty quick. Scammers are getting bad.

Sparky

Its not just scammers placing fraudulent ads...I sell quite a bit on Craigslist and I almost always get a text from a scammer pretending to be interested in whatever I'm selling. You have to proceed with great caution when using Craigslist.
Mike.......

wh500special

They target Lund boats too. And Kubota RTV's.  And Festool woodworking stuff.  I'm sure lots of other popular things.  

Thankfully, Wheel Horses are enough out of the mainstream that we've been overlooked so far.  

Usually easy to spot. Anytime you see an email address in the body of the description or unusual cues in the background (like Indiana listings with mountains in the horizon, snow on the ground in the summer, etc) or missing registration or license plates it's a good bet to be fraud.  

And, the biggest tell is a crazy low price.  

I've never emailed one of them.  What is the angle they're trying to exploit?  Looking for balance transfers or something?

steve  

dcrage

I echo Steve's question -- Around "WH land" it seems like everything is a cash deal with the buyer standing there looking at what they are going to buy -- Short of armed robbery (and we have had several cases of that here in St. Louis connected to CL deals in the last few months) how are they making money??

Edited by dcrage

bmsgaffer

I, of course, did not email them, but I would be willing to bet its the "Pay me with a direct wire transfer from your main savings account and then I'll have a friend of a friend of a friends brother get with you about the tractor since I moved to Nigirantonfumasumatum and became the King's sole heir"

shallowwatersailor

I saw the picture and recognized the background as a used dealer here in Maryland. It's a shame that they are grabbing other legitimate listing's photos. I know one of my 5xi is the representative photo on eBay for a CD of Toro's manuals - available for free from Toro!

• Like 1

Michaelzz28

had one off craigs list trying to scam me on a 520 I advertised there offered to send me a certified check that would clear in 2 day never seen my bank clear anything that fast so yes they even target wheel horses

slammer302

Michaelezz28 had the same scam sent to me a few days ago

RedRanger

@ $2500 you know it's a scam.  The loader is worth that.  lol
That's a $10K+ package.

I've been unloading quite a few things last month or so from tractor parts to dirt bikes.  For every legit buyer, I got at least 2 scams.
Will never include my text number in ads again either.  Twice as many junk  texts as emails.

• Like 1