Wheel-N-It

Finally Bought a Round Hood

953 nut
Craig to the rescue!    :auto-ambulance:
  • Like 2

Wheel-N-It
Remove the shifter boot, back out the set screw, then pull the shifter handle out Van...
take a peek down in there.
Bob supplied a pict in this thread...
shows how your forks should be aligned for it to be in the neutral position. 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/58945-552-trans/ 

Will do Craig, and thank you. Guess I gotta wait until I finish with this PITA Massey that has been neglected for Lord know how many years. It was given to my friend for just getting it out of the yard so you can imagine what kind of shape it is in. I did get it to start tonight after replacing the ignition system including the key switch. But its running on spray carb cleaner and tomorrow night I need to try to get some gas in the tank and in the carb.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Van, when you pull the shifter the forks can be aligned with a screwdriver. Then reinstall the shifter making sure the dog point setscrew enters the hole in the front of the shifter ring. You'll feel it. Then tighten the setscrew until you feel resistance as you go through the gears. Then back off just a fuzz and tighten the locknut. Locking in two gears is almost always caused by a sloppy shifter. Wheel Horse updated the shifter rails in 1965 to prevent the problem. You could update it but there's really no need to if you keep it properly adjusted.

• Like 3