Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

How do folks hear about us?

nylyon

I joined in shortly after Chris posted on the Yahoo group that he was starting a new group. Since then I have been searching through google, yahoo search to come up with key words which will point to RedSquare here and I never get a hit. That makes me wonder, how folks are hearing about this place. It almost seems like a little secret Wheel Horse place on the web! Must be word of mouth!

I'll even come clean, yes I chopped down the Cherry tree! Argh... I mean I put in the Wikipedia entry in an effort to get some search engine recognition. :D

T-Mo

Karl,

I found this place just after I picked up my first Wheel Horse, my '79 C-141. After I got the tractor, I googled Wheel Horse and eventually made my way here. It's been downhill every since :P Nah, just kidding, unless I brought this site down with my unknowledge and unskills. :(

For me, it's the ultimate Wheel Horse site (I not a fan of Yahoo Group formats). :D

nylyon

I just can't seem to get the search engines to put us at the top end of the list. Get a lot of hits for My Tractor Forum, which is a great site as is Wheelhorse.org, but we seem to have more dedicated Wheel Horse activity than any other Wheel Horse board out there. Just don't get it... :D

kj4kicks

If I remember right, I googled "Wheel Horse Forum". Of course the Y forums were there, but I don't like the layout. RedSquare was also on the list then.

Eldon.

TT

I'm not exactly sure how I found Redsquare, but I'm glad I did! :P

I may have heard mention of it in the big Yahoo! group.

I started my Yahoo! group in hopes of being able to actually discuss tractors, and issues pertaining to them. I understand there is a need for "social interaction" in a group, (what good would it be without it :D ) but a never-ending scrapple discussion for two pages (no personal offense to those guys) while someone is trying to get help with a legitimate problem gets a wee bit old.

The format of this board is perfect. The ability to segregate serious topics from the "scrapple", and the added option of pictures integrated with the messages makes it wonderful. You don't have to search through countless pages of photo albums in other locations, only to have a tough time getting back to the original message. (Which, by that time, could have moved 20 places down the list because "Nerdly from Booberville" just inherited their great-step-uncle's 308-8 and wants to know what it's worth. :()

The only thing I was thinking about asking for here is another "main" category that was broken up in to the tractor style groups. I'm not sure how these forums work, but I'm sure if it's possible, Karl could set it up.

Some of the black-mask guys (300, 400, 500 series) don't care much for the old stuff, and some of the RS/RJ guys only have interest in the old stuff. Of course there are those of us who have a few of each and could just look at all the posts like we do now. :(

Since membership is growing, it might help organize the "neighborhood" if that option was established. It might be a major P.I.T.A., but it will also give us a larger area too "look around".

That way members wouldn't have to look through all the posts in search of information for their particualar model, or a place to ask questions about it. Browsers like myself could continue to look through all posts and have an easier time remembering where that certain message about a Raider 12 or 416H was posted.

Maybe I'm way out of line here -- but let me know what you all think. :(

nylyon

Terry, I'm open to any and all ideas to make this the best it can possibly be. In short, yes it is possible to create these additional categories, BUT we did have 2 Wheel Horse sections previously, one entitled Wheel Horse and a second Wheel Horse by Toro. Granted, it wasn't split as you suggest, but it was confusing on where to post things, and most posts ended up in the Wheel Horse area anyway.

Best thing to do would be to open up a topic in site suggestions with the recommendation, and if everyone (or the majority) are good with it, I'll put it in.

Thanks, and however you found this place, glad you, and everyone else did!

TT

I tend to operate on the "If it ain't BROKE, don't FIX it" principal too, Karl.

It probably would get a bit confusing, and I know things could end up being posted in "wrong" categories.

Maybe it should stay as-is, unless other folks here have a similar line of thinking about it.

It was merely a suggestion, and either way I'M STAYING RIGHT HERE! :D :P

TT

Best thing to do would be to open up a topic in site suggestions with the recommendation, and if everyone (or the majority) are good with it, I'll put it in.

Topic is opened in the Site Suggestions category......

The more I think about it, the more goofy it seems. :D

Oh well, I'll see what the others think. :P

Rollerman

Karl I think I followed a link of the big Wheel Horse group on Yahoo?

Been a while back & don't remember honestly.

I think Terry "TT" summoned it up great though & think the same way. :D

Curmudgeon

Word of mouth obviously! That's how I found it! Face it, half or more the people here are also, or were, on just about every other forum as well.

From my understanding, search engines don't search the text on pages, that would take forever, they search for underlying hidden clue words, meta tags. I had very little action on my website until I read an article explaining how to include meta tags in the HTML. Traffic went WAY up in short order.

Not sure how you'd do it with a forum such as this though. My personal website was mine, ALL mine. While it was stored on my ISP's server, all content was generated by myself, or whatever program I was using to generate the HTML, as I sure don't understand it!

But, meta tags is your answer to the search engine question.

nylyon

Dale, that's the big difference as much of the html code where thost tags should live is unmodifiable for me, so I can't add that code. Google has a couple of bots, which do come here, but I can't go any further with that unless I had access to he header html. Oh well, maybe it's better to have word of mouth, keeps it a closer community.

perry

i dont have a clue how i found this place :D . but im glad i did. the last site simuliar to this one that i remember was the wheel horse barn. then it disapeared.

combatmp29r

I was directed here by the Tricycle man himself. Definately glad Terry brought this place up. It is a great group and I'm definately checking the big yahoo group only by my daily digest now, no more lets see what s happening over there thoughts.

Rod(NASNUT)

:D I think it was TT who told me about this site and I saw it on the big Wheel Horse group on Yahoo. I am glad I came over here.

Sparky

Perry. I remember the Wheel Horse barn real well. It was my first WH forum and I was bummed out when it died. My neighbor, who is a computer tech and a WH guy, tried to "buy" or take over the site but it never happened.

If you look at my avatar you might remember it as the header on the WH Barn site. I must of saved it for some reason and never deleted it.

The WH Barn was where I first met WHChris, the originator of this site. He was posting about needing a motor and I had one so we hooked up to do the deal and stayed in touch. When he contacted me about joining his new forum I did.....never expected it to get this big or busy.

Mike..........

T-Mo

I ran across the Wheel Horse Barn a few years ago. It stay with me, even though I wasn't into Horses at that time. When I got my first Wheel Horse back in July, I looked for it, but, of course, couldn't find it.

Brrly1

Hello All I can say is that you can blame Tickster for a few of us being here. He told a few people that he knows and likes. So he's to blame. Have a Good Day Burly :D