Sparky

Aluminum tool box painting

Sparky

My new truck came with an aluminum diamond plate toolbox. I've seen a few out there painted black and I think I want to paint mine black.
So whats the best way to go about this? I'm going to use rattle cans. Type of paint? Prep? Primer?
Thanks!
Mike....
Tool_Box_006.thumb.JPG.b4219572d0ae25a2c
Tool_Box_007.thumb.JPG.bed8de5ffb9780f58

Martin

MIke,
Not sure if you have access or not, but a light glass bead blast is excellent for surface prep on aluminum that has been exposed to the weather before paint. If thats not possible, scotchbrite and some sort of chemical cleaning prep would be ok. The big thing with aluminum is removing that light oxidation layer and getting some sort of light 'profile', (roughing up of the surface to give the paint something to be able to hang on to the part).
While i have powder in mind when giving you some ideas, the same would be true with any paint on this sort of part. as far as type of paint being a part thats outside, you would need something thats good with the outdoors and uv resisting. 

shallowwatersailor

Mike,

You might want to try and find some aluminum cleaner that has a mild acid. When I was on the FD we would use it before parades, etc. followed by a wax coat. I have used the VHT Epoxy Black in a rattle can on my truck's frame with good results. It's subjected to a lot more wear than the toolbox on top. But it doesn't have any UV protection so it would need a clear coat.

Another choice might be a Rhino coat or similar.

SALTYWRIGHT

DO NOT PAINT IT BLACK, IT MUST BE RED.....RUSS

• Like 3

bmsgaffer

I have had good luck giving it a good cleaning then using "self etching primer", which was pretty much designed for aluminum. Usually its a shade of olive green. Then do your top coats.

Back when I was thinking of painting an aluminum boat (with a HVLP) I was told to use some pretty nasty acid etchant first or the paint would never hold up. I am assuming the self-etching primer is the best approximation of the one-stop-rattle-can-solution to that.

953 nut
Not too confident that Rattle Cans will give you a satisfactory finish that will hold up in the bed of a truck, you may want to talk to someone that can do powder coating. :twocents-02cents:

ps; they can do RED Edited by 953 nut

DennisThornton

Aluminium is a very different metal than steel and needs to be treated as such when it comes to painting.  Don't paint it until you either use an aluminium prep, acid etching primer or both.  Otherwise the paint will NOT stick!  If you are intent on painting it I'd suggest using the the paint and prep from the same manufacture.  Maybe see your local auto paint supplier and buy everything you need.

I gather you would rather have it a different color, but no paint is going to be as durable as what you already have now.  Unless it really bothers you I'd leave it.  Perhaps even if it really bothers you just look away...  It already matches your wheels and steps very nicely in my opinion!

Ken B

I'd just take the Tractor Supply decal off and call it done......:hide:

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 5

Don1977

Just paint the Tractor Supply emblem and apply a Wheel Horse decal.