Niagara D

D series hydro pump coupler

Niagara D

I am currently looking into pricing to get some pump couplers made up. my question is are any of you out there interested in some as well? I am hoping to get a larger order in to reduce the per unit cost and am willing to pass them on for my cost plus shipping. Please let me know.

• Like 2

pfrederi

are you talking about the rubber spider or the steel flange with internal splines??  I would be interested in the steel flange

Niagara D

Yes steel flanges. I have a friend looking into some people he knows to see about making them up.

wheeledhorseman

Would also be interested in the steel flange or two as I have two D-200s

Andy

Niagara D

I told my friend to have a few "samples" made up and get me a price for 50 of them. I figure there's several folks around here and then the rest that I don't want to hoard can go on ebay. But it would be nice to get an idea of how many people 'round here would like them....and how many!

reecie

I would take 2  (or 3 if slightly the 3rd is slightly discounted).

Please let me know. --Maurice

PS I sent you an email with my cell phone number, if you can call to let me know more details.

Edited by reecie

tommyg

I would be interested in at least having a spare. But ideally, it would be great if someone could design a coupler that didn't rely on the splines (which we all know wear out) and come up with something that could be affixed to the pump shaft more permanently with a more durable (and available) coupling kind of like the one below.

couplings.340.0.0.1.t.png

ranger
On 07/12/2015 at 5:24 PM, tommyg said:

I would be interested in at least having a spare. But ideally, it would be great if someone could design a coupler that didn't rely on the splines (which we all know wear out) and come up with something that could be affixed to the pump shaft more permanently with a more durable (and available) coupling kind of like the one below.

couplings.340.0.0.1.t.png

Here is an idea to help prevent spline wear, this, we used years ago on parking brake drums which were only held on the shaft by circlips. The hub is split part way through and has an external taper, the cap has an internal taper, when the two are pulled together by the three screws the hub is clamped tightly to the splined shaft, It usually holds it so well that no other fasteners are needed. If you have room to fit something like this, it may be worth a try.802.thumb.JPG.1ab107bea204bd51ec85b882d3803.thumb.JPG.9a7f675b7f714c6809418fdd53804.thumb.JPG.e7f21b33d3d6b096e31e8341bc805.thumb.JPG.762ff4b79f0d3aa500c2043ef9

bgh5469

Depending on the price I would be interested in one or two to keep just in case.

JackC

Usually it is the steel half of the coupler that fails and the splines on the pump remain undamaged.

There is also a clamp on coupler configuration that could be used (or made) for repair applications if the splines on the pump are also damaged.

566851b00bb16_clamponcoupler.jpg.269593d

tommyg
1 hour ago, JackC said:

Usually it is the steel half of the coupler that fails and the splines on the pump remain undamaged.

There is also a clamp on coupler configuration that could be used (or made) for repair applications if the splines on the pump are also damaged.

566851b00bb16_clamponcoupler.jpg.269593d

I see a similar amount of wear on both, but I would agree that the steel half might wear a bit faster. This design would keep friction and wear to a minimum if movement of the splines was minimized by a couple bolts. Can something like this be designed to adapt directly to the rubber dampener? That would be most ideal.

JackC

Some have drilled through both the steel half of the coupler and the hardened shaft of the pump and used a pin or bolt all the way through.

Sarge

@Niagara D -

Any news or gains on getting a proper coupler made yet ?

I had drilled mine back in the middle of the winter to get it back in service . Over time , it has worn further now to wear down the spline shaft into a taper - so that shaft is junk . Got another good pump with good shaft , will have to either machine the shaft on the new one to accept a keyway or similar work to make it stronger . The D's power and weight is far too much for that little pump shaft - I do have a C series hydro drive pulley that has the machined steel center , plan to cut it out on the lathe and weld it into the original coupler that is totally stripped out now . In my mind , still not a very good fix and it will eventually fail again - I'd rather do this once and be done with it in a much more bulletproof way...

Sarge