Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

whats MTD?

BairleaFarm

I hear them refereed to and maybe seen MTD brands I think. Is it a company that makes several brands?

DMESS

I feel dirty even posting this link. I'm off to take a shower now. :hide:

M.....T.....D........

kj4kicks

My Tractor's Dead

Teddy da Bear

DMESS! I thought it was a joke you were going to lead us to!

It was the real MTD site.... I almost wretched!!

I could really tell you what it stands for.....but I am

thinking there might be wheel horse owners that also

own these.... No sense offending those members we

have......

Mith

Made to disappoint.

I have devoted my life to taking as many MTDs off the face of the earth as possible. I have a true hatred of them. Poorly made, poorly engineered, awful to work on, not so great to use. Seriously, some dont even work properly when new, let alone a year down the line. Did I mention I dont like them?

They make for a whole load of brands, the telltale signs are always there. Low price, lots of thin metal or plastic, and they are held together with self tapping bolts.

Oh, and the varydrive (scarydrive), it might work properly if it was well executed.....

I'm sorry if anyone like them (there is help available), I havent been very kind, but I really struggle to say a nice thing about them.

DMESS

Hey, I just realized this is in the "non tractor related discussion". :party: Isn't that perfect! :omg: Because, MTD is as far from a TRACTOR as you could ever get! :party:

Let's be honest folks, (and I try to remain PC ((politically correct okay?)) whenever possible)....... If your offended by anything said here in regards to MTD products......Leave imediately and don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. This is a WHEEL HORSE forum. I've said enough.... :D:hide::hide::D

And Mith...that is some funny shiznit right there! :omg:

big mike

I believe at some point the board of directors of Modern Tool and Design decided they were going to forever change the world by take thin scraps of cheap steel and add some plastic and make a fortune selling them as "garden tractors"

BairleaFarm

looks to me they carry all kinds of brands. by the looks of your alls responses they dont do very good work.

jerrell

:hide: Eeeewwww, i thought something was stinking up the forum, those things are just like Murrays, i got 3 sitting in my junk pile, cheap plastic, with hit and miss tecumseh engines :hide: :D

HorseFixer

looks to me they carry all kinds of brands. by the looks of your alls responses they dont do very good work.

Thats saying it lightly! :D They work "YOU ALLRIGHT" Fixin um! :hide:

Electro12WH

Ummh! I thought it was meat tenderizer. :hide:

KyBlue

I was looking at a CC pushmower for next year, but after seeing that MTD does stuff for CC...Think I might just pass on the pricey push mower!!

T-Mo

DMD,

I thought, you can't be serious. Even the most faint of heart has heard of MTD and experienced, even if it was by hear-say, MTD's glorious reputation. MTD actually is an acronym for Machine, Tool And Die. The brands that MTD makes includes Yard Machines, Yard-Man, MTD, Ranch King, Huskee, and a few other forgetables. In the last 25 years plus they have bought Cub Cadet, Troybilt, and Bolens. Toro also has contracted MTD to make their tractors the last couple of years.

With every MTD, you should get a full set of tools, a box of bandaids and a year's supply of duck tape. While most disposable brands are made to last only 5 years, MTDs are made to last - 5 seconds.

We really shouldn't be bashing other brands, but, then again, MTD's aren't really tractors anyways. :hide:

BairleaFarm

After reading these posts im glad i bout a wheelhorse(or 4) instead of buying a new mower at lowes. I think i made the right choice. :hide:

KyBlue

Is there anyway to tell who's makin the pushmowers for Toro or say John Deere or even CC's ...

I need a new pushmower for the house, but dont wanna buy a POS MTD ...

Nick

Scott, Toro still builds the push mowers. They also own Lawn boy mowers, just ask my brother and sounds like they are dropping the Lawn boy line. Maybe MTD will buy that name up. :hide:

KyBlue

Ahh Good. Ill give them a good look over...Really wanted the CC with the caster style front wheels.. But ... dont want a over priced POS made in China... lol

Michael Bullington

MTD

Made

To

Die (after one year) :banana:

Jim_M

My Tractor Died

T-Mo

Scott,

JD still makes all their lawn and garden tractors and push mowers. There was a time that Lawn Boy made them for JD but that's been years. The JD mowers at Lowes and HD are true JD's. The lower priced JD lawn tractors are made in a JD plant in Tn, while the more expensive ones are made in Horicon, Wisconsin (the long time and still JD plant) along with the push mowers.

illinilefttackle

:hide: This is a Tractor I got when my Dad passed. It's a MTD Ranch King. It's 25 years old. Briggs 12.5hp -& 7 speed-this thing never misses a lick. It's all original,even belts, It's had good maintence , does smoke a biton start up-but doesn't even use a quart of oil in a season.

MTD.jpg

_AL

Jim_M

Actually the old MTDs built in the 60's and early 70's were pretty good machines. The larger ones were available with hydros and 3 point hitches. They had heavy duty frames, front axles and rear ends. As far as I know they were all Briggs & Stratton powered.