Jake Kuhn

Lauson h55 parts?

Jake Kuhn

Hi all, Does anyone happen to know if lauson h55 parts interchange with Tecumseh h60?  Picked up a 550 that had a motor in pieces and if there the same as h60 I want to go through it but otherwise not sure where I can find part? It does have a h60 shroud but I remember hearing when they have this indent in the block they are a lauson...also has the wico ignition setup so I'm guessing its a older one because my lawn ranger motors did not have this. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks,Jake

1437142453385-1992681674.thumb.jpg.cb08214371424828111557007427.thumb.jpg.4f1d49IMG_20150717_101610592.thumb.jpg.424c452IMG_20150717_101534850.thumb.jpg.fb86a17

CasualObserver

Search some of kiwi's @sorekiwi old threads. I seem to remember him doing a post on the interchangability of parts a long time ago.

• Like 3

slammer302

i have a motor setting on the shelf that looks the same i always wondered the samething for sum reason i want to say all the the sheet metal will interchange but i think the piston and rod are different but i could be wrong its been awhile sense i read up on the subject

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I am very rusty on this, I am pleased that I havent worked on a Tecumseh for quite a few years!!

The indent on the front cover is where the oil pump is housed.  The H60 does not have an oil pump, so does not have this indent.  The H55 does not have a dipper on the rod, the H60 has the dipper for its splash lubrication.

I do remember that I used H60 rings in my H55, also H60 gaskets.  I reused my H55 piston and rod.  

A few years after I freshened my engine, I came across a vertical shaft engine that had an identical oil pump and rod as my H55.  I think the vert engine was a V55.

"Puddlejumper" was doing a bit with the H55's at one stage, you might find some info in his posts, or if he is still around he might remember more than I do.  He ended up with a few of my left over pieces.

EDIT:  My mag looked different from that, but my engine had no charging system, so that may be the difference.  My throttle/governor set-up looks the same as what you have.  My '63 Ranger also had this setup on its H60.

Edited by sorekiwi
Remembered some more!!
  • Like 3