tommyg

Kohler Engine Suddenly Loses Power

tommyg

Cutting the grass with my Kohler powered D-180 this afternoon when all of a sudden, it sounded like I hit something with the blade. The engine really seemed like it was straining to spin the blades, so I quickly pulled back on the pto. It seemed to run fine and nothing was bound up under the deck. Every time I tried to re-engage the pto, it would bog down. Decided to bring it back to the garage to take a closer look. The engine was straining even to move the tractor at high speed, but otherwise ran OK. When I got to the garage, I shut it down and double checked spark plug cables to make sure they were secure. Then for some reason, placed my hand near the exhaust on the right side and there was virtually no exhaust coming out. Could I have broken a rod? I've been noticing a tapping sound for a long time, but it's been getting seemingly worse lately. But it would go away at high RPM's, so I wasn't too concerned thinking it might just be a valve clearance issue. Now I'm thinking it might have been a warning sign. What do  you guys think?

953 nut
Tapping sound never lead to good things. Sorry to say it is time to pull the plugs and check for compression.

tommyg

Absolutely no compression on the right cylinder.

Edited by tommyg

pacer

Likely a rod came apart:eek: After hearing a tapping noise and then you dont feel any exhaust that likely means the piston aint moving.

Now for the really bad news! parts for that 18hp are scarce as hens teeth. I'm just finishing up a D-200 and needed a rod and scoured the net for days and days when suddenly one popped up on the bay - whew! Piston and rings will interchange from a K-301 (I'm pretty sure) on my K-532 I'm using piston/rings from a K-321, but head gaskets wont interchange and they too are hard to find. Gaskets and rods will interchange from the K-482, K-532 and the K-582.

• Like 2

tommyg

Great. This is work I'm not even going to attempt. I've got a guy locally that's really good at rebuilding these things. I've gotta hope he's got some options for me.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Southern_Secret
      By Southern_Secret
      Hello fellow Horse Heads long time no post for me, life gets crazy & a lot of things change sometimes but anyhoo. So back a few years ago when I first got my 1994 314-H I had it at my shop going threw it. One of my customers walk past as im working and said, you know I think Iv got a Wheel Horse & im thinking "no you dont buddy". I give him my # to send pics thinking it was a big waste of time & after getting the pics I realized he did have a Wheel Horse! I hand shake bought it right there, asked him to bring it to my store & he said no problem. Well after almost 2 years it is finally in my orbit. I know very little about it other than his father-inlaw got it new and used it around his house moving snow and stuff. His father inlaw moved down south here when his daughter got married and gave the tractor to my customer because he had a farm & his the inlaw had no use for it anymore. Same with every barn find, "it was running when parked" 8 years ago, said one of the axel seal is leaking. Im happy and hope I can get it back in running order soon cause it is going to be handy around the truck farm!!

I will post Pics as soon as I reinstate my membership

• Swemill
      By Swemill
      Hi everyone!
      Long time since i was here and my old pics is gone from the forum.
      I just uploaded a movie with pics on youtube, and thought i could share it for you guys.
      I would love to get some comments on my Youtube channel, from you true Wheel Horse fans! 

Thanks and Best Regards  

• 87buickt
      By 87buickt
      Listing for a friend, late 70s I believe D200 deck and plow. Been sitting for a while, make reasonable offer, friend also has tons of literature he may part with, if Interested let me know

• Nathan W
      By Nathan W
      Does this look factory for 1976 

• Rick3478
      By Rick3478
      For Sale NOS M12S Short Block, still in the original box.  I bought it pre-emptively when Kohler was phasing out the Magnums.  Thought I would have it on hand if one of mine needed it, or maybe I would find a tractor with a busted rod for cheap.  Neither of those things happened, the darn things just keep running.

Part number 77 522 35, probably built in late '05, it's the combination replacement kit Kohler made to fit WheelHorse or Gravely, machined to bolt directly into the Gravely transaxle, but also has spacers to mount WheelHorse PTO clutch/brake.  Also has a bunch of gaskets and seals packed with it, probably all you need to install it.

And it's heavy, so it's not practical for me to ship.  Buyer arrange to pick up near Elida OH, I can lift it about knee high to help load.

Asking $800 or might consider trade for a good center mount grader blade.