Sign in to follow this  
lancerguy

burning coils

lancerguy

I have a 1978 Kohler 8 speed garden tractor and I am having problems with it burning up multiple  coils within the last couple of weeks.  I have used a kohler coil and also a small block Chevy style coils with no difference in results.  I have changed the points and new rods, condenser, voltage regulator and starter.  I am looking for suggestions of where else to look for a problems or any suggestions to what could be wrong.  Thank you in advice for your help.

slammer302

Is ur battery running dead when this happens Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

lancerguy

no battery has plenty of life 

slammer302

Well that rules out my theory Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

rmaynard

Are you using the correct coil. Those engines need a coil with an internal resister.

lancerguy

The coil that I am using is from Advance Auto Parts that states that there is no external resistor required.  The part number to the coil is E30P.

squonk

That coil number you posted is the std coil Chevy used. But they also used bn external resistor wire on those. Try a Napa IC64SB. I know that has an internal resistor

lancerguy

i will give it a try hopefully it works.

Save Old Iron

E30P coil data off an internet search shows primary resistance is 1.30-1.50 ohms and secondary is 7,700-9,500 ohms.

Primary coil resistance under 3 ohms DEFINITELY REQUIRES AN EXTERNAL RESISTOR.

Measure the primary resistance of the new coil before you buy / install it.

• Like 2

squonk

I sold the Napa IC64SB for 10 years to farmers, tractor shops ect. Used on just about every gas powered piece of equp there was around here. Including home made power plants ect. Should work fine.

• Like 1

lancerguy

Ok that is the coil I have been using today i got about two hours out. i shut the mower off and went to restart it and no spark or power on negative side of the coil. at this point getting really frustrated!

squonk

Napa IC64 coils have a primary res. of 3.15 to 3.48 ohms

Save Old Iron

the points are probably ruined from overheating - stressed from use of  the last coil

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

lancerguy

i cant keep the coil for more than about two hours it never gets hot to the touch, after the two hours of run time it spits and sputters then shuts quits have power at positive side of coil but not the negative side which goes to the points. points are brand new as is the rod if i put a new coil on it will run like a top. 

gwest_ca

When the points are open the voltage at the coil (-) should be battery voltage.
When the points are closed the voltage at the (-) coil side should be 0 volts.

Remove the spark plug so you can turn the engine over by hand and watch the voltage. The voltage should cycle once for every two turns of the crankshaft.

If it still stays at 0 volts while turning the engine over the points are not opening or shorted, the wire from the coil to the points is shorted to the engine block or tinwork or the condenser is shorted internally which can be heat related.

Garry

• Like 2