AMC RULES

HOT 1075 Coil ?

AMC RULES
So, I've read about this coil frying thing before...
but, it's the first time it's ever happened to me. 

Ran the last little bit of fuel out of the 1075 today, to go through and clean/replace it's fuel system...
forgot to turn off the key afterwards, then this strange smell, looked over to see it smoking like a chimney. 
Internally, what is happening that makes them do this?
:scratchead: Why doesn't it happen while they're running.  :dunno: 
  Edited by Big Show or Bust.

953 nut
​While it is running the points are opening and closing developing a pulsating DC current flow through the coil, when not running if the points are closed you have a direct short circuit developed through the coil. You will also want to replace the points and condenser. 
  • Like 1

squonk

When it's running power is flowing through the primary circuit but is interrupted by the points and everything is happy. Not running that power is just sitting there so to speak and if there is enough resistance through the points to ground higher current than normal will flow and fry the coil.

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Oh...drats!  :bitch:

slovinski

Shucks.....is that the same tractor that was making the whining sound and hard to start?

• Like 1

Terry M
Oh...drats! 

:bitch:

​No Worry Craig....I'll be more than happy to take that tractor off your hands:ychain:.....

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Yep, same tractor...  :dunno:
sorry Charlie, new coil is on it's way. 

Save Old Iron

Something to consider gentlemen ...

The points are always a low resistance connection so this is not part of the explanation.

During the time the engine is running , the points are closed about 95% of the time anyway, regardless of how long the tractor runs. Points only open VERY BRIEFLY - a few fractions of a second - every complete ignition cycle to fire the spark plug. Something else is at play beyond point resistance and the few fractions of a second the points remain open every ignition cycle. Something to do with magnetic field strength, saturation, conversion of energy and an electrical  property of the coil called inductance.

Anyone want to venture a more accurate reason why this extra 5% on time cooks a coil when being on 95% of time doesn't?

Edited by Save Old Iron
  • Like 1

AMC RULES
Something told me...    :rolleyes:
SOI was gonna have fun with this. 

953 nut
I know that SOI will have a much better explanation than mine, but here goes. As I recall it from high school shop class the majority of the current flow while the points are closed is consumed in building a magnetic field and the collapsing field that occurs when the points open opposes the incoming 12 volts.

Terry M

I thought so too craig...Meanwhile I'm sure he's busy listening to the  Mrs. Miller collection:).

Save Old Iron

I thought so too craig...Meanwhile I'm sure he's busy listening to the  Mrs. Miller collection:).

She is a gift , isn't she?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zKCQK0apKc

Edited by Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron
 the majority of the current flow while the points are closed is consumed in building a magnetic field and the collapsing field that occurs when the points open opposes the incoming 12 volts.

Correct sir, but not the full story.

What does the coil do with the stored up magnetic energy when the points open?

Edited by Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron

another visual clue

area under the curve is power consumed in the coil

orange is when when engine is running

yellow is when engine is not running w/ points closed

any difference?

coil current.gif

AMC RULES
:scratchead: Will someone ask the Squirrel...
to please pass me a spoon?
 :dunno:

dcrage

Heh Chuck -- What is the definition of "power consumed" -- Does this mean what form of energy the current gets converted to -- I am assuming with the engine running we are talking about the spark -- Engine not running I guess heat is generated (and is heat the correct term here; this seems to be getting off into thermodynamics land)