KC9KAS

New Compressor?

KC9KAS

Some time ago, my wife bought me a Harbor Freight Media Blaster. I told her my little 8 gallon compressor wouldn't last 1 minute with the blaster, so we have been keeping an eye out for a new compressor.

She has a Home Depot store credit card and it was offering some promotionals, so we took advantage of it.

Now, my blaster says it needs 10 CFM@ 90 PSI to operate, so here were my options:

#1  60 gallon, 155 PSI, and 11.5 CFM @ 90 PSI  $489.00

http://www.homedepot...C602H/205389936

OR

#2  80 gallon, 155 PSI and 14 CFM @ 90 PSI $849.

http://www.homedepot...C801H/203187346

So what would you do???

squonk

Get the biggest you can afford and your wiring can handle. You never have too much air when blasting! :)

• Like 3

ranger

Get the biggest you can afford and your wiring can handle. You never have too much air when blasting! :)

I second that, something to think about when looking at compressors is, the CFM quoted is displacement, you really need to know the FAD- Free Air Delivered at whatever pressure. actual amount of air you will get may be only 60 / 80 % of the displacement figure quoted, depending on the design / quality of the unit, so an 11.5 cfm unit would be hard pushed to run a 10 cfm blaster for any length of time

pacer

Agreed--- a media blaster is pulling the trigger and trying to dump the air from the tank, and the compressor is having to do its best to stay up with it. Also many of our air tools like a lot of air --- so if at all possible do the bigun!

Aldon

Whichever route you go, and I will agree with Squonk, bigger is always better, when you install it, do so with forethought as to how you will drain the oil for preventive maintenance. My IR compressor has a side access drain plug. However it does not empty old oil completely unless I tilt the unit. I also found that if I fill it, then tilt slightly in the opposite direction I can fill using the recommended quantity which otherwise overflows. It runs significantly quieter with the recommended oil and volume. And the difference is around an once to ounce and a half. I would have never believed it had I not experienced it.

I too have the HF blast cabinet.

While you are not asking and perhaps have already found via Google foo the usual tweaks, I'll note a couple that payed off well.

I used the plastic window trim that came with unit but tossed the remainder and used self tapping screws that have hex heads for ease of use of the drill driver. Added another layer of foam sealer for depth and I use 12x24 glass and toss when it's etched too much. 

The. Other huge efficiency gain was adding a length of half inch tube in parallel to the media tube. The part that sits in the media. I used run of mill copper tube and tie wrapped it so that the bottom of copper tube extends below the feed tube by an 1/8 - 1/4 inch. It needs to be long enough to extend along the feed tube so that the other end is above the media and open to air. This trick made a huge difference to operation.....

Before I did this I was ready to throw the unit away.

KC9KAS

The. Other huge efficiency gain was adding a length of half inch tube in parallel to the media tube. The part that sits in the media. I used run of mill copper tube and tie wrapped it so that the bottom of copper tube extends below the feed tube by an 1/8 - 1/4 inch. It needs to be long enough to extend along the feed tube so that the other end is above the media and open to air. This trick made a huge difference to operation.....

Before I did this I was ready to throw the unit away.

You are saying the media needs to be vented to flow properly?

Aldon

It will work.

it works much better with venting as you describe it.

the Venturi effect pulls the media into Air stream caused by compressed air being released. The air access tube allows it to flow up the media collection tube easier.

BTW, save yourself some headache and replace the hoses at the get go. The collection hose collapses on itself too easily and constricts media flow. And my hose from side of cabinet to gun blew. Startling experience if it does so while your using it. My local hardware store had hose sold by the foot in the back...I think it was less than 10 bucks for that upgrade. No issues since.

If you have high humidity the media can start to clog after a while. And while it's a recycler, you will have to change out the media occasionally. You will know when it's necessary by the performance dropping off and clogging of the tip...

I've had mine for a few months and am still a rookie compared to most on the forum. Just thought I'd share my experience.

squonk

Get a TP Tools catalog. Has all the tips and goodies when it comes to blasting.  

http://www.tptools.com/

Edited by squonk