Aldon

Air Compressor Help needed

Aldon

Gentlemen,

My experience with Air Compressors and larger piping/fittings is limited.

A couple days ago the pressure switch went out on the compressor. And i was just getting the sand blast cabinet optimized and making good headway.

Since then I managed to locate a replacement although not direct which entailed me having to re-plumb the fittings since it was not plug and play.

Upon initial power up, it appears i have 2 issues. Perhaps only one.

The 1st being the fitting is leaking air where the half inch copper line exits the pump. no reason for the leak as I do not believe I impacted it during the repair so just bad luck. I tried tightening the fittings to no avail. I tried locating the parts on line. Also no luck.

I assume there are flared ends on the copper line and which I managed to work around for the switch but I know I will hit a wall with the larger fittings.

Where might one go to get a new Pump to tank line made up? 

Anyone know of a repair shop for something like this in Capital area region of NY?

I have not had time to put much thought into this yet and have to leave it sit for a day or two until I can focus on it again.

the 2nd issue is that either the new pressure switch was DOA as it appeared not to cycle off at 135 PSI, or the gage is not calibrated which is possible, or the leak was somehow affecting the switch. the latter does not seem plausible.

Any suggestions? If not for tractor purchases etc, I would likely have sold it for parts and bought a bigger unit. 

If I cant facilitate a modest repair, the tractor projects will be on hold until late summer.

Ingersoll Rand SS3 compressor.jpg

Aldon

I'm actually tempted to JB weld the offending leak. As if the pump ever fails I plan on upgrading and using the tank for better cycle set up anyway.

953 nut

I would suggest that you remove the entire copper line including the fittings that screw into the tank and compressor. Both of these fittings should be NPT, pipe thread. Take the whole thing to NAPA and ask them to make you a hose with swivel fittings on it to replace the copper. Also, after years of vibration a gauge will tend to give up, the gears get worn out, replace it too.

• Like 1

Aldon

I was unaware Napa provided that service. Thanks for the idea. I agree that before I pull the switch, I should replace the older gage. Its getting hard to see as the lens is yellowed and could do with replacing.

ranger

If the leak is from the copper pipe then unscrew the flare nut, slide it back and heat the end of the copper pipe to red heat- after taking the pipe off, either quench in water or allow to cool, this will anneal the copper, you can then re-shape the end to seal properly in the fitting, it may even re-seal by re-assembling, as the copper will be softer and should conform to the shape of the fitting If the end is cracked or split, just trim the end back and re-shape

Doug. :UK:

Edited by ranger

Aldon

I removed the pipe in preparation to drop by Napa or Capital Plumbing supply.

i was planning to drop by after work.

during my lunch hour I decided to peruse the hardware store near the office.

I was able to find the correct fittings and am back up and running with only one slight nusance leak that I will address soon.

thanks for the assistance gents!