lumnut34

522 xi rear end slip

lumnut34

Ok so this is my first full summer with a 2001 522xi I purchased last year from a family friend.  It has the 44 in deck and is a beast.  Just rolled over 700hrs not bad for 14yr old machine.   My yard is just under 2 acres and mostly hill.  I have found the last two times that while going downhill the rearend has a slight slip to it and starts to freewheel.  Nothing major on the freewheel but it is concerning.  Before I contact the local wheelhorse/toro shop I wanted to get some opinions.  Any help or input would be appreciated it.  I certainly don't want to wind up rolling down the hill!!  haha

lumnut34

Here is the 522

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0433.JPG

Rick_in_CT

Hello Lumnut34

Nice looking 522xi.  I previously had two of them, and as you say the are quite the beast.  First question, have you checked the transmission fluid level?  The dipstick is under the seat.  The fluid is checked with the transmission cold.  It uses 10W-30 motor oil.  How is the color of the trans fluid?  If it does not look like clean oil, I would suggest you start with a fluid and filter change on the trans.  I would suggest sticking with a toro brand filter on the trans.  There is also a power steering filter/screen that should be cleaned if you are changing the trans fluid.  The power steering and hydraulic lifts all get their fluid and power from the trans. 

Another thing to check would be the transmission fan.  Make sure all the blades are on it.  You can see the fan from under the tractor looking at the drive shaft as it enters the trans.  Also look for a build up of debris on the trans cooling fins near the fan, and on the backside of the trans.  If there is a lot of buildup the trans may be getting too hot.  You can blow it out with air or a garden hose.

Does the problem only show up after the tractor is hot, or will it do it right away after a cold start?
Does it feel like free wheeling, or is it surging?
Do you know if the trans fluid, filter, and power steering fluid have ever been changed by the previous owner or yourself?  If there is no history of it being changed, then its possible that some internal valves could be getting stuck.

Not sure how far you want to take this on your own, but there is a very comprehensive transmission service manual for the 5xi tractor.  Here is the link to the download page for the manual from the manuals area of this site.

Let us know the answers to the above questions, and maybe some others with post with suggestions.

Rick

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/3785-tractor-2001-5-xi-hydraulic-sm-492-0648pdf/

shallowwatersailor

It is a nice looking 522xi. Are you running at full throttle while cutting? Are you using L-Range when needed? That does sound like a low fluid or overheated fluid situation.

As Rick said, start by checking the fluid and the fan on the driveshaft. Make sure that there isn't a buildup of grass clippings. I use Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic in my three and buy it in the 5 gallon jug. It takes 4-1/2 quarts to do the change. I have always used the Toro black filter but will be switching to the NAPA 1410 as I have had to wrestle too many of the Toro fliters off. The NAPA filter has the same micron rating of 10 Microns and flutes on the end that will allow you to use a cap wrench. There should also be a vinyl cover under the tractor by the fan. It protects it from sticks, etc. from being ingested by the fan blades. I once broke a blade using my 312-A in the brush around my property so it can happen.

Here is my 520xi when I purchased it. The vinyl guard is the piece with the circular cut for the hose. 
DSCF9193.thumb.JPG.59942efb9456bcc35f902

Edited by shallowwatersailor

squonk

Plus the 1410 is a better filter. John cut that Toro filter open and post pics. You'll be surprised. Not much in there. I have pics of a 1410 cut open somewhere.

And here it is! :)

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/49316-napa-1410-filter-cut-open/

Edited by squonk

lumnut34

Thanks for all the input guys.  Sorry for the delayed response.  changed the transmission fluid and filter.  All seems well..........However I am still just not comfortable with the pedal.  I have adjusted but maybe its just something I need time to get used to. 

shallowwatersailor

This year I was using my C-145 to cut my grass with the motion control between my legs. Now I know what others have said about an Eaton 11 and a classic Wheel Horse feeling like it's running away. The 5xi is much easier to control by keeping your foot on the rocking pedal. I can even bring it to a stop if need be by rocking back. 

If the tractor is not creeping in either direction while in gear after being warmed up, it is adjusted properly. It may just take more seat time to develop additional dexterity. The sensation I needed to overcome on the 5xi when I bought my first was feeling as if it was top heavy when driving on an angle.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

cdsl810

The Eaton 11 on my 520-H does the "freefall" down a steep incline, I was told on this site that it is completely normal due to the design. Now, when I say freefall, I don't mean a gravity accelleration as if it were in neutral. It is more like there is no hydro back pressure in the forward direction that limits the speed. But, if the incline is long enough, I can feel that the hydro actually IS limiting the forward speed... it just allows gravity to add to it a bit. Not sure if that makes sense. My point is that it was claimed to be a normal condition for the Eaton 11.

shallowwatersailor

Using the hydraulic retardation is easier with the 5xi rocker pedal (and Matt's conversion pedal) and the motion lever on the console. With the motion lever on the column it is difficult to overcome the "jog and press" movement.