Sparky

Disk brake questions

Sparky

Did a front brake job on my 05 Dakota yesterday (pads and rotors), no issue with the job, all went well and now I have a good brake pedal and it stops fine. But right before this I had (maybe 4 months ago) started to experience the tell-tale front end shake that comes from warped rotors. But it got worse real fast, thus the brake job. It almost didn't want to stop the last couple times out!
  This is what the rotors looked like when I got em off, the pads were well worn but NOT metal to metal yet. What would cause this? I bought the truck a couple years ago and this is the first time I have done fronts. Did the previous owner just slap on pads? Or could the rotor have been turned down before me to much? Or maybe the harsh winter we just had combined with the new nasty corrosive crap the state of Ct. sprays all over the road right before a storm ate my rotors :wacko: ?
  Any thoughts?
Mike..........

Dodge brakes 001.JPG

Dodge brakes 002.JPG

Dodge brakes 003.JPG

baerpath

My son had a set that looked like that. Took everything to Autozone They turned the rotors and gave him new shoe's free.  It was from the shoes they were defective Next set didn't do that

rmaynard

Here in Maryland, a used vehicle has to go through inspection to be titled. Many sellers will slap on new. cheap rotors and pads to pass. Those rotors in the pictures look to me like cheap imports. The quality of the rotors is so inferior that they deteriorate like that in a very short time. 

Edited by rmaynard

squonk

Today's rotors are junk. Off shore metal. When I worked at Napa we had 3 stinkin levels of rotors and pads. PITA!  The cheapie pads accelerated the problem you have if the vehicle sits a lot. And not to pick on one brand, but I saw these problems on Chrysler products more than anyone else. Especially on those Neon toilets. 228109581avatar.thumb.gif.4baa7875e18d7c

Edited by squonk

Sparky

Mike,
   I bought NAPA's hi-end rotors and pads (most expensive). So are they crap as well? Or just the bottom priced ones?
Mike........

squonk

You should be ok with the high end stuff

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I bought NAPA's best pads several years ago when the truck/rotors had 75,000 miles (new tires too). The rotors were turned at that time.
At 165,000 mile (85,000 mile) the rotors and pads were replaced (tires again too). I will be tickled pink if it makes it to 240,000 before it needs brakes again.
I get most of my automotive products from NAPA

• Like 1

Coadster32

Looks like bad rotor material to me. I have never seen them get that bad though. Must have stopped like crap, pulsed, pulled, etc.

bmsgaffer

I am with the bad pad group.

When your rotors warp even a tiny amount it can create hot spots on the rotors and pads and cheaper pads can actually start displacing their material onto the rotor. So the rusted pits you see may actually have been started by a small buildup of pad material/glaze everywhere else on the disc. Then add in the nastiness of winter and chemicals and it will just accelerate that like crazy. Thats my theory anyway.

I just replaced all 4 original rotors/discs on my 2008 Ram at the 95,000 mile mark and that is only because one of the rear pads finally cracked. They would have gone 100k easy and there was no sign of warping. Needless to say I put OEM top quality on there again.

I have had good luck in the past with EBC brakes (from england). If you stick with their basic green stuff they seem to last a while. I had their middle to high end ones on my last car and I swear I could stop in half the distance, but I ate through a set of pads and rotors in less than 50k.

kaiser

the napa adaptive one brand pads are really good. (higher then napa gold)
that looks like a really cheap rotor to me.  all that scaling under the hat is a dead give away.
oem and high end rotors don't do that.

another thing to note, beware of "high performance" brake pads. they are lousy for street driving and only work well when they are piping hot.
which means when they are cold, like they are on an off ramp, they can take twice as long to stop.