Ken B

The New Merc...

AMC RULES
They never ran windshields Ken? 

wallfish

Agree, the Merc seems to fit that boat's look much better.
I had an old '63 40 hp that looked like that on the boat I sold before the one I have now.

Ken B

​This boat didn't have one but I'm looking to add a windshield about a ft. high..

• Like 1

Sparky

I agree...it looks much better than the Evinrude.
Mike............

squonk

A windshield may decrease drag just enough to out run THAT OTHER GUY ! :) :auto-driving:

Edited by squonk

mels

Too bad there's not a "REALLY like" button to click on.  Sweetheart of a combination right there, Ken.  Makes me kinda sick to my stomach that I gave away my old Cadillac Marine runabout so many years ago.

Ken B

I'm probably going too pick up a windshield this weekend but I might not need it to out run that other guy..  But ya never know, Steve is sneaky fast and he pays attention to what is going on.. You can't sneak anything by him!  
The Mercs really do fly. The key to the smaller 4 cylinder Mercs is to keep the weight down so the motor can reach its full RPM potential and running a tach is key so you can really nail down which prop to use. Steering in the back of the boat is a huge benefit as well so you can get some real good lift under the boat. All I used to run were Mercs and I'd spend HOURS down at the lake after work with my race boats testing. I swore I was done with Mercs and that I would slow down and run just the Johnson/Evinrude motors, which I have done for the past few yrs. but in all honesty something was missing... Thanks to our very own VINSRJ suddenly out of the blue purchasing a vintage Crestliner to restore and he being real interested in the Mercs re-lit the fire under my dead ass.  When me and Ole Stevebo hit the lake together we have a great time, smoke a few cigars, and we usually wind up at Down the Hatch for a few beers and dinner. Down the Hatch is a lake side restaurant where you can pull right up and dock your boats.. Some days I whoop up on Steve, some days he whoops on me.. I'm very fortunate to have such a good friend and such a beautiful lake to ride on right in my back yard! Here are a few vids of my boats and motors in action. SADLY and REGRETFULLY I have since sold these boats and I'd give almost anything to have them back! This is a pic of what the park Rangers at Squantz Pond saw almost every day at 4pm rollin in... 
jesseportfolio026.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6oaoNrz174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBp7cEmE1ZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwYefHi8va0

• Like 3

stevebo

I guess I have some work to do to be able to keep up with those mercs.... The second video of that smaller boat is crazy. My knees hurt just watching it. Time to raise the motor a bit and polish up my 2 blade.... :D

Ken B

I guess I have some work to do to be able to keep up with those mercs.... The second video of that smaller boat is crazy. My knees hurt just watching it. Time to raise the motor a bit and polish up my 2 blade.... :D

​You can only raise the motor up so far Steve, any further and it will be in the boat...:ychain:  I know where you learnt that trick from. I have quite a few more but my lips are sealed with Gorilla Glue

• Like 1

AMC RULES
Squonks pond?   :scratchead:

VinsRJ

Ya you'zzzzz two really messed with my head after seeing one of your boats in person... couldn't sleep at night until I had one.

In the near future there will be three vying for the top spot... :violence-blades:

Ken B

Could be four Vin if we can wake my brother from retirement. He is always a threat for the top spot and he has caught me a few times nappin at the wheel... He couldn't catch me on this day though
Conn_RiverMeet062307_2004.jpg

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 1

Ken B

​They do now Craig!
20150606_171104_zps808vtis7.jpg

• Like 2

AMC RULES
Sooooooooo....nice, with or without.  

stevebo

Ken-
Brennan shook his head when I showed him this and I asked you dont like it? He responded saying he does but it would look better on our boat. lol 

baerpath

Guy;s forgive the ignorance but were all the merc's blue ? An old friend of the family has 10 or 12 old merc's all black and chrome like that one. He's in his 70's and thinking of having a garage sale Get me some info if you could

Ken B

Duane, the motor's you mention could be 1960's motor's or they could have been painted black by someone. In the 60's they changed to black. The owner of Mercury was a very colorful fellow and he liked his outboards the same way. If you can get some pics send them along to me, I'm interested.

baerpath

Okay I'll be back at Oneida lake in a few  John used to have a private marina back in the 60's through 80's