Dhodge

Sickle mower

Dhodge

Just picked up a serial number A-40519 side sickle mower.  Can anyone tell me what models this is designed to fit?

pfrederi

The model number would be more useful in answering the question

Dhodge

I will look to see when I get home, but I think that's long gone.  I will check, thanks for the responce

oldredrider

Generally, the model #'s disappear long before the serial numbers. Whatever material they made the serial numbers with is almost indestructible. 

Dhodge

Yeap, Oldredrider is right.  No model number.  dangit!

jeremi3210

How about a picture? That might help.

gwest_ca

In 1963 they were still using up the earlier A-xxxxx serial decals on attachments.
Later attachment serials were just numbers.

Serial A-55713 is the highest 1963 A-xxxxx serial recorded
Serial A-48580 is a 1963 SMS-50 sickle mower
​Serial A-47548 is a 1963 SMS-50 sickle mower
Serial 
A-40519 is the sickle mower in this thread
Serial A-40112 is a 1963 SMS-50 sickle mower
Serial A-27183 is the lowest 1963 A-xxxxx serial recorded

No other sickle mowers have been recorded for 1963

Garry

Dhodge

I don't have the unit home yet as it is on my buddies trailer.  I had to buy 3 other horses to get it.  I don't know where I'm going to put them or what I am going to do with them, but the sickle was purchased along with a C-101, 1077 and a charger automatic.  I'm hoping it will fit on my 1054. 
I will post pics when I get everything home
Denny

jeremi3210

Ok. It should fit the c or the 1077 pretty easy, the 953 has a different rear mount than a regular one. But maybe yours has that. 

CasualObserver

Yes @Dhodge this should be the sickle you need for your 1054. Contact @Lane Ranger if you have more questions about it... Pretty sure he's had one mounted before and likely has pictures to show you important details.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Important note on the 50 inch sickle bars.  They made two versions - one that fits the width of the 953/1054 frame and one that is one inch narrower !  That is important  information on buying one.   Check the width of  the frame -outside to outside angle iwon on the frame  and check the sickle bar mower frame plated -outside to outside measurement.  Just about everything else is the same for the sickle bar mower setup.

We have a 50 inch mounted on a 1965- 1054-A.  Here is an older pic before restoring the sickle.

102_6050.JPG

Dhodge

Ok, I got it home today finally.  Here are some pics> I measured the bar at 44".  Lane I failed to measure the mounting bracket, but I have the 1054 to compare it to. 
Thanks for everyone's response and if anyone can confirm the model please let me know. 
I have lots of wheel horse models that this would look really good on once I get it restored, maybe a round hood??

sickle.JPG

sicle2.JPG

sicle3.JPG

Dhodge

Thanks  everyone for all the help.  Nice 1054's, 953's 1054-A's Lane!! Thanks for the pics too.  SMS-42A sounds good to me.  Now what to put it on when its time 704, 633, 701, 702, 856???hummmmm

• Like 2

davedean

Sickle Bar sms42-A
looking for the oil seals that go to the assy shaft weldment (item 9) oils seal (item 21) 1 1"4 shaft and one behind the pulley 4" dia. (item 29) oil seal (item 22) 1" shaft. These reference numbers are from the sms42-A parts list.  Or maybe a place I can order them. Or maybe some ideas on how to stop the leaks. Btw thanks for the great info on how to reattach the shift lever after it came off. It's a simple fix but getting to that set screw is a real pain   

Edited by davedean
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Sickle Bar sms42-A
looking for the oil seals that go to the assy shaft weldment (item 9) oils seal (item 21) 1 1"4 shaft and one behind the pulley 4" dia. (item 29) oil seal (item 22) 1" shaft. These reference numbers are from the sms42-A parts list.  Or maybe a place I can order them. Or maybe some ideas on how to stop the leaks. Btw thanks for the great info on how to reattach the shift lever after it came off. It's a simple fix but getting to that set screw is a real pain   

​Item 21 part number 1482 has been replaced by Toro 103118 for 1-1/4" shaft
A Chicago Rawhide/SKF replacement is CR12330 from places like Napa

Item 22 part number 1232 has been replaced by Toro 100863 for 1" shaft
​A Chicago Rawhide/SKF replacement is CR9815 from places like Napa

Notice the CR/SKF part numbers are close to the shaft diameter.
Best to take the old seals with you to verify the above part numbers are correct when ordering.

Garry

• Like 1

davedean

Thanks, I found them on line at McMasters. I have another question, please. I just got the sickle bar up and running tonite and I thought it was going to take flight. I mean it is waay too fast. I have a 4 3/4" dia. pulley coming off the pto, I'm using the rear (closest to the engine) pto pulley. I tried backing off the pressure on the clutch and it helped a bit, but it's either too slow or too fast using that adjustment, besides I'm assuming that will just wear out the clutch real fast due to slippage. I'm thinking about getting a larger driven pulley for the sickle bar. Does any one know what the rpm is on the driver pulley at full throttle? (12 h.p Kohler). Any ideas/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

• Like 1

pfrederi

Full throttle would be about 3600 rpm

I believe that your sickle was designed to work with the older tractors that had 2.5" drive pulleys.

You might try the outer pulley on your PTO that would slow it a bit and run at half throttle.  Sickles do not need much horsepower.

• Like 2

gwest_ca

I don't use a WH sickle but run mine just off an idle. Any faster and it will shake it's self apart.

Garry

davedean

Thanks prefredi

That is exactly the info I needed. Now I know the ratio of driver to driven. I'm going to get a bigger driven pulley and match the 2 to 1 ratio. 

Thanks gwest

I'll slow her down a bit and the bar not only tried to shake itself apart but the tractor as well.

You guys and this forum is the best!

davedean

I used a 9" pulley on the sickle bar and the outer pulley (farthest from the engine) on the pto. A 44" belt, no idler pulley  It's a little over 2 to 1 ratio but works perfect. Just have to a little careful with hard right turns, the right front tire rubs the pulley. I also had to add a wedge between the lifting bar and the gear box due to the running board.
Do you think the fact I didn't include an idler on the belt will cause any damage to the crank/clutch/pulley?
Thanks
Dave