bmsgaffer

Sure-Trac Utility Trailer

bmsgaffer

Finally broke down and bought a trailer. I've been renting those ugly green ones and well... they're green (and I'm tired of trying to make sure I get it unloaded and back on time).

I have been pretty impressed with Sure-Trac, as I remember @shallowwatersailor going through his process and then picking it. There are a few nit-picky things about them that I thought they should have done better, but all in all for the price I felt like I got a good deal. (Middle of the road price point)

Its a 6x10, all box frame rails, spring assisted fold-flat gate, LED lighting, set-back jack, 3500lb axle, ez grease hubs (WAY nice) etc., etc. (And it lives at my KY address so no registration required). And I got as spare tossed in for pennies.

Already took it on a trip up to the Portland Swap, and its hauled a hefty load of top soil! It tracks nicely when loaded but can be a bit "sprung" when running unloaded. Tosses me around a little bit on the rougher roads.

I need some more attachment points, what do you guys use? I was looking at putting in some e-track or is there a better option? I like having lots of options when tying a load down.

2015-05-14_09.05.28.thumb.jpg.d494efef05

2015-05-26_12.51.59.thumb.jpg.cbd7f9330f

2015-05-26_12.52.25.thumb.jpg.1a5014d237

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

Brandon,

Great choice! I have been very happy with mine. The flip-down gate is really handy. I finally got some flush mount D-rings and the 3-1/4" hole saw to be able to recess them. I plan on putting eight on the floor so that I can carry two tractors (6'x12') in-line. I am also going to install two Pack'Em wheel chocks on the floor as well for locating the tractors. In my opinion, E-track is not strong enough for the forces generated by a tractor. I have also applied conspicuity striping for piece of mind and removed the "Sure Trac" labels. Nice that yours has the spare. Mine didn't have it from the factory so I just carry it in the truck. Good luck with it!

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Very nice Brandon :thumbs:  I'll be watching for comments on tie down points.  I've debated e-track myself for my new trailer. My hangup is that I think I'll occasionally haul dirt, rock, compost or mulch on there. I'm not sure yet if I want to be bothered with having to cover the e-track on those few occurrences, versus the versatility of having rows of tie down points that allow you to pull the load straight down to the trailer eliminating a lot of chance of load shifting. I don't personally have concerns about the tie down strength, I think they're more than sufficient for garden tractors as long it is installed completely and properly.

• Like 2

bmsgaffer

Brandon,

Great choice! I have been very happy with mine. The flip-down gate is really handy. I finally got some flush mount D-rings and the 3-1/4" hole saw to be able to recess them. I plan on putting eight on the floor so that I can carry two tractors (6'x12') in-line. I am also going to install two Pack'Em wheel chocks on the floor as well for locating the tractors. In my opinion, E-track is not strong enough for the forces generated by a tractor. I have also applied conspicuity striping for piece of mind and removed the "Sure Trac" labels. Nice that yours has the spare. Mine didn't have it from the factory so I just carry it in the truck. Good luck with it!

​Thanks! I also have some striping to put on as well. I had it parked on the street one night and as I came home I noticed that it wasn't all that visible and I surely don't want anyone to miss it!

Very nice Brandon :thumbs:  I'll be watching for comments on tie down points.  I've debated e-track myself for my new trailer. My hangup is that I think I'll occasionally haul dirt, rock, compost or mulch on there. I'm not sure yet if I want to be bothered with having to cover the e-track on those few occurrences, versus the versatility of having rows of tie down points that allow you to pull the load straight down to the trailer eliminating a lot of chance of load shifting.

​Thanks! I am with you on the dirt issue. I know for certain it will be used to haul mulch and dirt (when I have more to carry than can fit in the truck), and I dont want to have to worry about cleaning it all out! Never thought of that, although I will probably be using a tarp down first to prevent it from sneaking through the boards... But still tough to shovel with. I really liked your trailer setup, with the extra ramps and the bifold gate. One kicker for me is the fold down jack. I really hate having to always block mine so I don't spend all day twisting the jack handle!

I will be looking forward to see what others do.

Edited by bmsgaffer

baerpath

Use good E track and logistic's straps.  I have two strips on each trailer so I can tie down two rows or make a triangle when tieing down.   My E track is bolted to the frame cross bars.  I've used it to haul and tie down for 7 yrs never had a problem  It holds a 1600lb minirod in place for me fine 
Jason leave the end open and you can clean it out with a pressure washer easily

• Like 3