Sign in to follow this  
stevebo

Ready for first old outboard meet of 2015

stevebo

Took some time today to shine up the 55' Crestliner and load up 4 outboards to run at our first antique outboard meet tomorrow. 

post-734-0-40237500-1431742534_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-26795900-1431742561_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

squonk

It should be illegal to tow that boat on a sunny day!  :)  :ychain:

• Like 2

mels

Lousy cold rainy day today, first rain in what, 23 days?  Hope it didn't mess you guys up too bad.   

stevebo

It was pouring when I left the house at 545am but by the time we got there around 830 the rain stopped and held off all day!!

Sparky

So a guy with a 1988ish Johnson 28hp wouldn't fit in.....right...LOL!
Mike......

• Like 1

squonk

Careful there Sparks, you might have to ban yourself! :) 

138109241avatar.gif

• Like 1

stevebo

Well we had a really good day...... at least I did ... :ychain: Me towing Ken B in with my 1929 Johnson 3hp (that I bought from Ken at the meet last year). Th eguy who took these photos was kind enough to post on the antique outboard site... thought I would share too:icecream:

17749413991_00a4527bb3_o.jpg

17748844135_464489caea_o.jpg

• Like 3

stevebo

I think I may have stirred up the hornet's nest.. Ken has a few quality pics of my boat behind his I am sure.

• Like 1

Ken B

Well, since I had to tow you in TWICE over the past yr. I figured you owed me one.. This is one of those laugh now cry later type of deals for you, I can almost GUARANTEE it that you will be at the end of my line sometime real soon. KARMA. I might even pretend not to see you waving me over just to make you suffer a little..:laughing-rofl: I'll make sure to always have my camera handy for that special Kodak moment..
Now, the motor that konked out is a 1926 Johnson 2hp. I completely went thru this motor over the winter and then I shined it up. It hadn't been run in decades... She started easy and ran very well but when I shut it off to make some adjustments I couldn't get it refired.. It happens, I always expect to have to do additional work after taking out a motor for the first time in so long but for a motor that is 90 yrs. old I was very pleased, matter of fact I will be taking it back out in a few days...
001_zpsyeowuowo.jpg

• Like 6

stevebo

She is pretty. Like I said I stirred up the hornet's nest. 

SALTYWRIGHT

KEN, HE WAS NOT TOWIHG YOU, YOU WERE PUSHING HIM WITH A STIF ROPE.

• Like 3

JimmyZ

Brings back memories of me towing in a really cool looking Duranautic boat with a really fast Mercury Mariner 20hp that just wouldn't restart after running circles around me all day. Someone had his fun all day but every dog has his day and KenB had his. It wouldn't have been so bad for KenB but you see he needed a 5 mile tow back to the dock and I was happy to oblige with my really butt looking Arkansas Traveler with a really slow 1947 Mongomery Ward Sea King 5hp doing the towing duties. I think it took me 2 hours to tow him back in but I loved every second of it. Whenever I looked back to see if the tow rope was holding I never saw Ken in his boat. I never did figure out where he went.

• Like 2

Ken B

Just remember where you got that Sea King 5... I had that tow coming to me... My brother and myself went on an all week long camping trip. I must have run my boat 3 miles for every one that he did. I was circling the wagons all week long jumping his wake every chance I got and there was Ole DaveB all by his lonesome, even his 3 girls ditched him too ride in Uncle Kens fast boat. It was hot as hell that week and going 5 mph just wasn't putting a smile on their face. By the end of the week Ole DaveB was gettin a little testy. He caught NO fish, he had a sunburn and he was gettin a little tired of my wake jumping act. (I can be relentless..) But on the other hand all the kiddies were havin a great time. I even offered numerous times to let him run my boat as much as he wanted but he is too proud for that nonsense. And then, it happened. I was out running my boat WFO and then she just died. Kaput, game offer. I pulled the carb off floating down the river and found that the float had a crack in it causing it to flood the motor. Since I didn't have any bubble gum on me to fix it I had to give Ole DaveB a shout and a wave to c'mon over. You were more than happy to oblige, you would think the guy just won a million bucks, he finally had a smile on his face and the spunk was back! Hey, if that is what I gotta do to make someone happy then so be it! It's kinda funny, I stayed close by to him all week because I really thought that I would be towing HIM in..
Here is the boat, at the time the sunshade, steering console and trolling motor weren't on it. Though not really a vintage boat or motor, this was one of my favorite boat's and I hauled in a lot of fish on this one. When I bought it from the previous owner he told me that I'd catch a ton of fish with this boat and man was he right. 
IMG_0269.jpg

• Like 2