Sign in to follow this  
KyBlue

Workshop/Storage Thingy Build

KyBlue

Well I had to start somewhere.. The only place that I can really put it that isnt too far from the house, has this crappy hill.. So I thought Id try and level it out a bit, Seems to have worked pretty well..

Before

IMG_5513.jpg

Used the tiller to dig down a few inches:

IMG_5514.jpg

After a bit of Pushin..Not too bad, only took it down a few inches, should give me the room I need.

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5516.jpg

I pickup the Wood and block Saturday - Can't wait!

Teddy da Bear

Keep us posted of your progress!

And just something to consider.....

Hope you could put up 2x6 walls maybe a full 10 feet. Just in case.......you might want to stack tractors and/or want an attic in your storage space for the wheel horse goodies!

Just my 2 cents.

KyBlue

10 Ft walls require mucho cutting and youd be suprsied how much more plywood ya'd have to buy!!! I'll stick with the 8 Ft walls, and the gambrel Style Roof, so that I can have the upstairs as an Attic, there should be almost 5 ft of room on the upstairs too, for storage and what not.

perry

looks good :hide: , but how many times did you have to disconnect and interupt someone watching satelite :D . the darn wire right in your way.

KyBlue

Satellite gets moved saturday, thankfully I was able to stop short. Now the Coax for the ham radio...Burried!

HorseFixer

10 Ft walls require mucho cutting and youd be suprsied how much more plywood ya'd have to buy!!! I'll stick with the 8 Ft walls, and the gambrel Style Roof, so that I can have the upstairs as an Attic, there should be almost 5 ft of room on the upstairs too, for storage and what not.

Smart move! I can tell you know how to build! been there done that! :hide:

Butch

I musta missed something. Are you blowing out the back walls of the house or are ya putting up a new building? What size?

Butch

KyBlue

I musta missed something. Are you blowing out the back walls of the house or are ya putting up a new building? What size?

Butch

Not attached to the building, if I do that then Id have to get the permits and inspections. As it is, as long as I dont put anything 'into' the ground, like a footing, then I dont need a permit. haha

Oh the Size...12x16 Three Sheets of Plywood across....Four Long

Thanks Duke, we'll see how the build goes - the whole thing might collapse on me..be walkin around with a 2x4 stickin outta somewhere...hahaha

Butch

What do ya think it's gonna cost? I hope to build a new one in the Spring. Same size, 12x16. No block work though. I have 6x6" prssure treated posts laid out on the ground for the foundation. I hope to use all the sheathing/plywood from my old shed to make the flooring and roofing for my new shed to cut costs. But I'm considering a rollup garage door on one end with a ramp. I haven't decided on wall height yet. It will be between 6 and 8 feet depending on the roof style I decide to go with. I also plan to have no left over plywood scrap. All roof pitch and angles will allow all plywood to be used above the basic walls. I'll eventually buy that new concrete siding that looks like my homes cedar siding. But for now I want the structure for storage.

HorseFixer

Thanks Duke, we'll see how the build goes - the whole thing might collapse on me..be walkin around with a 2x4 stickin outta somewhere...hahaha

Youll be fine after all your a Wheel Horse Man! :hide: Not A Deer John! :D uhhht ooooo.... wheres terry :hide:

COMB2

As it is, as long as I dont put anything 'into' the ground

I would try to put somthing down in the ground. just do it when no one can see.

I would atleast dig a hole down 2 -3 feet down and fill it to the top with concrete for the corners. If not when the ground settles or freezes the whole thing is going to be shifting. The 12 bags of concrete won't be bad it's digging the holes that will suck and add a couple extra hours. Just my 2 cents :hide:

linen beige

Scott. Around thirteen years ago I put in a 10 X 14 metal storage shed from Monkey-Wards. I piled a foot or so of dense grade gravel on top of the ground and embeded the metal floor frame in the rock. Then I covered the floor with treated plywood. It is still level/plumb and the floor is still flat. I've never had any ground water in the rock pile. Without the ground water there is no freeze/thaw cycle to worry about. When we had those high winds back in the spring I lost a tree less than 2 feet from it, but the shed held tight. And if you do move you can just pull the building out of the rock, sweep up the rock and reseed.

KyBlue

I would atleast dig a hole down 2 -3 feet down and fill it to the top with concrete for the corners. If not when the ground settles or freezes the whole thing is going to be shifting. The 12 bags of concrete won't be bad it's digging the holes that will suck and add a couple extra hours. Just my 2 cents :hide:

No bigger than im going, using the block is perfectly acceptable, and what most of the sheds that places like Home Depot and Lowes sell/install get put on. To dig the holes Id have to get a auger and etc etc etc

Believe me, I have done ALOT of thought, and research on what will and wont work..

Stay Tuned for updates!

HorseFixer

Good job! :D plan on seeing some pics of yer progress :hide: Cheers Duke

bmuone

Lookin good there Scott. I know you will enjoy your new building. If you have room you might consider a lean-to type porch. You cant beat getting under a overhang to do stuff when it's raining. I built a 12 x 16 and put a 16 x 12 lean-to across the front....DT

Duff

Yup, I thought I'd be clever when I built my shop to try to fool the local code types. :party: I put my building on stilts because I had to build on a slope and things are such I really couldn't fill it to a level grade. :omg:

So as I was planning my stilts I said to myself, "Self, if you use pressure treated timbers for your stilts and maybe sneak 'em into the ground just a little, then the wind won't catch the building and move it (like a fully-framed 12x24 structure was going to go anywhere, since we don't get hurricanes around here!) and the Inspector , well, he won't pay it any attention. Right......... :D

Then I said, "Self - we get a lot of frost up here in the North Country, so if your gonna stick things in the ground, maybe you better get below frost line. Do you see where this is headed? :hide:

Anyway, I finally dug holes 5' deep, put a footing of concrete at the bottom of the hole, then set the 8x8 stilts on the footing, and the building on the stilts. And the city caught on...and they tax me royally for it. :hide:

If I were on a level lot and doing this again I would stay on top of the ground fer shure!!!! Scott, you're on the right road! :D

Duff :omg:

KyBlue

Thanks Duff, Got the blocks in place and leveled. And part of the floor framed, got dark and way to friggin cold on me to continue..or get pics.

I gotta hand it to the lil 40 dollar cart i picked up at lowes a month or two ago...hauled all 20 of those 4x8x16 blocks.. very Nice!

HorseFixer

Thanks Duff, Got the blocks in place and leveled. And part of the floor framed, got dark and way to friggin cold on me to continue..or get pics.

I gotta hand it to the lil 40 dollar cart i picked up at lowes a month or two ago...hauled all 20 of those 4x8x16 blocks.. very Nice!

Scott :D :hide:

Nick

Scott, This project keeps making me think of building the shed around 1991. The floor framing wasnt level so my brother lifted it while I kicked the dirt around with my foot. Of course he picked it up and threw it down but only smashed my foot not the high spot. :D

I think the shed was 10x14 and Ive been able to store a lot of junk in it. So your 12x16 should work out nicely. :hide:

KyBlue

JEEZ ITS FRIGGIN COLD OUTSIDE!!! 40 flippin degrees actually... BRRR!! Why couldnt I be working on the INSIDE that could be heated... Ah Well!

KyBlue

Okay the Last update for the weekend, I dunno if I'll be able to put any time on it in this week or not, might have to wait till the weekend again - anyway the floor is Almost done - what a job - Still have to get the last section in and bolted down, a bit of dirt piled up is keeping it from sitting down far enough, I have to be at work in about a hour, so I ran outta time -

Anyhow Heres the pics!

Truck Loaded down:

IMG_5519.jpg

IMG_5518.jpg

Little Wagon haulin all 20 of those blocks

IMG_5520.jpg

And the buildin

IMG_5521.jpg

IMG_5523.jpg

IMG_5522.jpg

No its not PT wood, the cost for PT was more than double - and they didnt have any sizes that would have worked, well they were 12 ft, which would have me cutting off 4 ft off each board.. So I'll have to keep an eye on the condx of the boards..keep em sealed.

Duff

Looking great, Scott! :D

Don't worry about PT - you're up off the ground enough on the blocks. If you've got some kicking around, though, you might think about putting a small strip of building felt (tar based) or heavy plastic between the wood and the blocks at the points of contact to isolate them. That way if the blocks suck up any water it won't get transferred to the wood and promote decay!

Best,

Duff :hide:

linen beige

Duff's suggestion of using some felt under the joists is a good one. You could even use a small strip of steel or aluminum flashing material. You might also consider laying down some weed mat under the thing before you lay down the flooring. It will save you a lot of headaches later when the polk plants and thistles start breeding under it.

BairleaFarm

Looks great. Here is your first project and those little carts are tough

DSCN0348.jpg

Butch

I'd be concered about that bottom plate because it will rot out as long

as rain or moisture can access it. It's gonna act as a sponge and in a

couple years you'll be having problems. When you side it you should

try and make sure the siding goes below the plate if you can overhang

it. Some places you won't be able to. Pressure treated lumber is cheap

insurance for what you're facing. A lumber yard should be able to rip

it for you at a cheap cost. Home Depots and Lowes cut wood but I don't

know if they'll rip it or not.