Hodge71

GT-14 Battery

Hodge71

What battery does my 1972 GT 14 take? I think I have isolated the majority of the remaining vibration down to the crappy Walmart battery thats in it. Its jammed in between the back of the instrument panel/steering column and the solenoid. Its way to big so its constantly bouncing around. I traced my wiring troubles to this battery. Its constant bouncing wore through the accessory wires and made them melt with the electric clutch on and headlights on. I rewired everything but  I need to get rid of this battery for the proper one and get it clamped in place like it should be. Anyone have a pic on how it should look?  Thanks in advance...

Brrly1

NF22-4

I'll grab a picture in the morning

Edited by Brrly1

Hodge71

NF22-4

I'll grab a picture in the morning

Any pics yet John? 22NF is a standard Wheel Horse battery. It sure dent look deep enough to fit that under my hood without the terminals hitting it. I guess I may need to measure again....

Edited by Hodge71

Brrly1

Yes sir, snapped it yesterday

post-45-0-92071400-1427396907_thumb.jpg

Hodge71

Awesome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pollack Pete

Aren't all garden tractor batteries the same size?Only diff I've seen is the position of pos and neg posts.True?? I've bought a lot of batteries and size was never a problem.Even with more CCA,same size.

Rob R

Me NO likey the battery connectors are too close to the hold down bar for me to be comfortable..... either they need to be rotated of some kind of protect shield is called for.... at least in my book.... just saying..........

squonk

I think the pic fools you. Those cable ends are farther away then they look. Quite a few older GT use the 5022nf. Lots taller but really  not much more power. Longer lasting though. A lot of Power King guys insist on the 5022 series because tha'ts what they came with. Trouble is on rough terrain with a lot of bouncing by the rider the battery posts hit the seat!   :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:

Brrly1

That is the original style battery 22NF-4

Brrly1

You got to remember that's the hold down bracket for the battery, I'll guarantee that battery is going No where!! Probably at least 3/8 between cable end and ground.