Digger 66

No more oil changes ?

Digger 66

Just Throw It Away

Maybe it's me getting old but isn't an oil change one of the first true "guy-things" you did with your Dad ?

I can remember washing my hands after my first oil change in the laundry tubs with D&L hand cleaner side by side with my Dad .

I know it taught me something & today ? 

WE JUST THROW 'EM AWAY after 10 / 12 years ! 

Sheesh !! 

OK Rant over .

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Yes, we now live in a "disposable" world.

formariz

Unfortunately the throwing it away after ten years mentality has been in effect for a while anyway since most people that do not do it themselves, will not change the oil in their lawn mowers or snowblowers anyway. As long there is oil in them a lot of them will last about that long.

With lawn equipment shops charging just about hourly as a new car dealer around here, no one takes their lawnmower or snowblower to do any maintenance, since that will cost at least $150.00 each time, plus the hassle of taking it and bringing it. That's why it is so easy around here to pick up free snowblowers. People never drain carbs after the winter and then it won't start next season. They call, then get a estimate of at least $200.00 assuming nothing major is wrong, plus transportation fees, so to the curb it goes. Might as well buy a new one specially if they had it for a few years.

• Like 3

rmaynard

D & L Waterless Hand Cleaner. I remember it well. My dad bought it in one gallon size cans. After doing dirty, greasy work, he would hold the water hose for me while I cleaned my hands, then I would hold it for him. I remember the smell, and I remember that no hand cleaner since worked as well. 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I wonder what the warranty on the engine will be? Will it be the 12 years mentioned? I know that if they used synthetic oil and propane for fuel, they could get that life from it.

I unfortunately fall into that category on push mowers. I had a JD 14SB which was probably one of the best mowers ever made. I owned it for 16 years cutting a suburban lawn weekly with out a problem. When new I had installed a spin-on oil filter option on the Kawasaki engine for longevity. The engine still started first pull, but the blade clutch went out. Over $200.00 for a new clutch (JD parts aren't cheap) so replaced with a used Poulan $100.00 that maybe sees three hours use a year now in MD. Traded the JD for part payment on my used MacKissic. Unfortunately the Poulan has FWD and is worthless on a hill.

I remember when I started my career at IBT that we had a dispenser for D&L on the the Murphy sink.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

formariz

D & L Waterless Hand Cleaner. I remember it well. My dad bought it in one gallon size cans. After doing dirty, greasy work, he would hold the water hose for me while I cleaned my hands, then I would hold it for him. I remember the smell, and I remember that no hand cleaner since worked as well. 

That smell is forever imbedded in my mind!

Unfortunately most kids today are not exposed to any of that stuff. Kids are being raised up learning all kinds of "garbage" that will not serve any purpose in their lives. They are definitely not learning any manual skills. I have a 3 year old grandson that knows how to pull a hub with a gear puller. Not that he physically can  do it by himself yet but he knows the process. The reason for that he because he does not spend any time in front of a tv or a video game.

So having said all of that I think that engine is going to be a sucess and more manafacturers will pick up on the idea.

• Like 2

smoreau

My 13 year old daughter does all the maintenance on her lawn ranger with my guidance of course. She will also learn to change her own tire, lof on a car, change a batt. And so on. I am a mechanic and feel the need for her to learn all these small things so he can get herself out of a jam. We all know it will happen, it does to me more then it should.

Edited by smoreau

squonk

We had a greaser day in college and 1 guy I know put vaseline in his hair. He washed his hair a dozen times and it was still in there. Our engine professor told him to use DL in his hair. Vaseline came right out.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

My 13 year old daughter does all the maintenance on her lawn ranger with my guidance of course. She will also learn to change her own tire, lof on a car, change a batt. And so on. I am a mechanic and feel the need for her to learn all these small things so he can get herself out of a jam. We all know it will happen, it does to me more then it should.

Holy Cow Scott...Gabby is 13??  They grow up quick Mate.  I think, in the long run, she will be showing you how things work.  :) :) :)

Navig8r

So why not use the improvements in the engine that will add to longevity, AND design it so the oil can be more easily changed?????  Hmmm... Then it may last a looooong time, and B&S wouldn't be able to sell another engine to go on the POS equipment being churned out!